• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Big Joe the Pro

Asian Green Taxonomy

Hey, let's have some fun with trying to identify exactly what cookbooks are referring to when they reference certain Asian vegetables.

This is the most commonly used onion in Beijing, if someone said 'Chinese leek' to me, this is what I would think of:

Big Joe - Chinese Leek.jpg

Cooking shows always point out that you have to wash the inside of leeks as they collect grit there but I don't have that problem with these. They do get awfully woody in the center though.

This is what go for 'spring onions' here. I believe that they're seasonal as I don't regularly see them. I just looked in Laurousse and I think they call them 'Asian spring onions'.

Big Joe - Asian Spring Onion.jpg

I don't have any of the really small ones at the moment. They're awfully perishable so if I see the 'Asian spring onions' I don't normally buy the smaller ones also.

Sorry but I don't have any 'jiu cai' (Garlic Chives). I can eat them but don't really like them so much (a fairly common thing amongst non-Chinese I've been told).

Maybe I would have more friends if I didn't eat so much garlic?

Excellent. I love the box of Zhong Xin Hai cigarette pack as a size reference. Perhaps we should adopt those as a standard unit of measurement?

Those leeks are what I call negi, mainly because I don't know the Chinese name. I'm assuming people in the West may call these "baby" leeks. Unlike full-on Welsh leeks, they don't seem to collect grit, and I happen to think they also make a fine leek and potato soup.

The really small green onions seem to perish almost immediately, don't they? They get thrown in for free when I buy veg at the street market, but I never buy them myself.

I'll go next:

2010 12 26 022_edited-1.jpg

Size: roughly one-and-a-half Zhong Xin Hai

Locals call these qing cai 青菜, which I believe translates to "green vegetable". What would an English-speaker call these?

Without wishing to dampen anyone's enthusiasm in resolving this problem, I suspect you are not going to get very far.

Despite my best efforts over many years, I have never found definitive translations for many ingredients. The nature of China and the Chinese languages means that almost every town has a different name for any one ingredient.

When I moved from Hunan to Guangxi in 1999, I discovered that the local restaurants didn't do any of the dishes I had carefully learned the names of, and nor did the market have the veg I wanted.

But I eventually found out that they did have the same dishes and ingredients. They just used totally different words. I now know five different ways to say "potato".

Prior to the 2008 Olympics, Beijing authorities published what they called "official translations" of many dishes. I have shown this to many local chefs and cooks and they don't even get the Chinese!

Fuchsia Dunlop's Sichuan book is particularly confusing because she often uses Sichuan dialect, but then renders it in traditional characters which Sichuan doesn't use.

I'll go next:

Locals call these qing cai 青菜, which I believe translates to "green vegetable". What would an English-speaker call these?

Ok, this is getting interesting. Nakji, those are 'Bok Choy' split in half, aren't they? In Beijing they're called 'you cai'.

'Qing cai' in Beijing is 'Chinese celery', leafy upper-part included. 'Xi qing cai' is the large, western celery (often sold in the same bags that are used in the US) and the upper, leafy part has been cut off.

Sorry, I don't do characters and the numbers in the parenthesis after the pin yin (to denote the tone) looks a little silly to me. Someone was posting with the tone marks above the pin yin, how do you do that? Do I have to download a character set?

Oh, the things I call 'Chinese leeks' are called 'tong' in Beijing. Spring onions are just called 'xiao tong'. A western onion is 'yang tong'

This may sound uppity but might I suggest we adopt 'pu tong hua' (Mandarin Chinese) as the standard? Good luck getting others to follow but might help us keep our sanity. Zhong Nan Hai smokes for measurement works for me, ha ha. Cheers.

Edited by Big Joe the Pro (log)

This may sound uppity but might I suggest we adopt 'pu tong hua' (Mandarin Chinese) as the standard?

Not uppity at all, but the point is there is no real consensus in 普通话 (pǔ tōng huà), either. The many names for potatoes which I mentioned are all 普通话.

By the way, in Beijing (in 普通话), the various alliums are '葱 cōng ', not 'tong'.

I'm not sure that there is much consensus in English, either. I have had endless confusion about 'turnips'. They are totally different vegetables in Scotland from what they are in England. And what is the difference between spring onions, green onions, scallions, syboes? Apparently none.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

What nakji posted up above is what I know as Shanghai bok choi. They come in different sizes from little 6 cm floret-like ones to 18 cm more fully grown ones. They have a sweeter taste and finer texture than regular bok choi. I don't speak putonghua so Cantonese will have to do from me.

Yu choi is different again from bok choi. The stalk is solid with slender leaves branching off from it - like gai lan but much more tender and brighter green. Often, there are yellow blossoms at the end.. These are very tender and are called yu choi because they are usually just cooked very quickly in oil with ginger and garlic - yu - meaning oil. Check the bottom of the stalk when you are purchasing. If the end is transluscent green, then the choi will be fresh and tender. These are great thrown into wonton soups at the last minutes.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

[i'll use Hanyu pinyin, with tone markers used at least the first time I reference something, and mostly simplified characters, with one exception, below.]

Yeah - qing cai is just like saying 'greens' (meaning dark leafy greens) in English... generic term. I think these are just baby bái cài (bok choy in Cantonese) - I usually see these labeled as 小白菜. There are of course, regional differences too - some places call Napa Cabbage "大白菜' (big bok choy) or even just '白菜', whereas others call it 黃芽白 (huáng yá bái). I believe the vegetable more commonly known as bai cai / bok choy in the West can also be called 清江白菜 (qīngjiāng bái cài, with Qingjiang being a river in Hubei). There is also 菜心 (choy sum in Cantonese), which is cài xīn in Mandarin. This is the heart of some vegetable, usually bai cai (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choy_sum).

Another source of confusion is 'jì cài (荠菜 / 薺菜)', vs 'jiè cài (芥菜)' vs. ‘jiè lán (芥蓝)’. Not only is the phonetic sound of the first two similar (though not the same), but the tones are the same, and if you look at the simplified character for 'jì' (on the left in the example above), it's very easy to confuse with the one for 'jiè'. Jicai is an herb, frequently used in Shanghaiese cooking, as a filling for buns, dumplings, and also stir-fried with niangao (xuěcài aka xuě lǐ hóng (雪里红), a kind of mustard green) is also used instead sometimes). Jie cai is, I believe, a general term for mustard green, though the Chinese, like us, have different kinds of mustard green (and different names are often used when the greens are preserved). Jie lan is Chinese broccoli -- more commonly known in the US by the Cantonese name, gai lan.

Edited by Will (log)

Yu choi is different again from bok choi. The stalk is solid with slender leaves branching off from it - like gai lan but much more tender and brighter green. Often, there are yellow blossoms at the end.. These are very tender and are called yu choi because they are usually just cooked very quickly in oil with ginger and garlic - yu - meaning oil.

Yu choy is yóu cài (油菜)in Mandarin. In English, you'd probably just call it 'rape', but it's different from most of the Italian versions (i.e., rapini). It's roughly the same plant as the plant that canola oil is made from, though my understanding is that the plant used for canola oil has been hybridized to reduce levels of euric acid (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canola).

Another really common green is kōng xīn cài (空心菜 - "hollow heart vegetable"), referred to as 'ong choy' in Cantonese (ong (蕹) being wèng in Mandarin). I've also heard it referred to as water spinach. It has a very crunchy stem. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ipomoea_aquatica

Edited by Will (log)

Oh, the things I call 'Chinese leeks' are called 'tong' in Beijing. Spring onions are just called 'xiao tong'. A western onion is 'yang tong'

This may sound uppity but might I suggest we adopt 'pu tong hua' (Mandarin Chinese) as the standard? Good luck getting others to follow but might help us keep our sanity. Zhong Nan Hai smokes for measurement works for me, ha ha. Cheers.

I think you mean cōng / yáng cōng(葱 / 洋葱)(rather than tong) for green onion and onion. yang is used much like xī to precede certain vegetables to denote a similar foreign version; for example, carrot is 'foreign radish'. As best I know, at least here in the US, cong by itself refers to green onions, whether or not it's prefixed with small (xiao).

"Spring onion" is confusing, because it means different things even in the west. Some people use it as synonymous with scallion / green onion (especially in the UK). In the US, I most often see it refer to very young actual onions, with the stalk attached... bigger than even a large green onion.

I think if you're going to call anything "Chinese leek", it should be 韭菜(jiǔ cài)and not scallions / green onions, which already have a name in English.

In case it's helpful for some folks, basic information on how to pronounce Hanyu Pinyin is here:

http://www.1morepeat.com/knowledge/mandarin-chinese-pronunciation.htm

Pinyin is not designed to be pronounceable as in English or other languages; it's just a way of representing a set of sounds using the Western alphabet.

Edited by Will (log)

Yeah - qing cai is just like saying 'greens' (meaning dark leafy greens) in English... generic term.

Ah, but maybe in this case, it's short for '青江菜' (qīngjiāngcài), another word for Shanghai bok choy. Noticed this at the store the other day, but the store had a typo on one of the characters, making it take a while for me to figure out the name. It looks like the really small ones may sometimes be labeled as '青江菜苗' (qīngjiāngcàimiáo), with miáo being 'sprout' (as on dòumiáo).

Ah, that clarifies things somewhat. The really small ones - about how small? (In units of Zhong Xin Hai)

The small ones (Siu Bak Choy / Xiao Bai Cai), with "siu / xiao" meaning "small", are about one Zhong Xin Hai.

Here is another one:

6a00d8341c509553ef00e54f5a92708834-800wi.jpg

Snow Pea Sprouts / Tao Miu (Cantonese) / Dou Miao (Pinyin)

Length: 1/2 a Zhong Xin Hai

As the name suggests ... these are immature sprouts of the snow pea plant. Delicious when fried with soy sauce and garlic.

By the way - you should think of sauces for Asian greens the same way you think of sauces for various shapes of pasta. I choose the shape of pasta to match the sauce. Or adjust the thickness of the sauce to suit the pasta. In the same way, some Asian greens (like snow pea sprout or spinach) will fry up into a very dense texture. Even a very thin sauce will adequately coat the greens. Others, like Kai Lan, Bak Choy, or Choy Sum - do not wilt much and need to be served with a thickened sauce.

Edited by Keith_W (log)

There is no love more sincere than the love of food - George Bernard Shaw

I don't suppose that latin names for each of these could be found somewhere? I have a tough enough time with North American herbs and vegetables having multiple names....perhaps latin might help?

Don't you think an Asian grocer will look at you funny if you went up to him and asked for Brassica rapa chinensis (Latin for Bok Choy) :) If you google the names we have mentioned, you will find the vegetable.

There is no love more sincere than the love of food - George Bernard Shaw

I don't suppose that latin names for each of these could be found somewhere? I have a tough enough time with North American herbs and vegetables having multiple names....perhaps latin might help?

Wikipedia has most of the greens we're talking for (just search for the Chinese characters, and usually has the scientific names for things. In fact, I think I've even seen them on restaurant menus (Capsella bursa-pastoris, anyone?), probably due to auto-translation software.

Snow Pea Sprouts / Tao Miu (Cantonese) / Dou Miao (Pinyin)

Length: 1/2 a Zhong Xin Hai

As the name suggests ... these are immature sprouts of the snow pea plant. Delicious when fried with soy sauce and garlic.

There are both small and big (小 and 大)variants of this one too. I believe the big ones are usually more expensive. The difference in size between the twyp types is pretty great, though not sure how it compares to a cigarette pack.

That is indeed tatsoi. I have bought it at an Asian supermarket, and they have started to show up at our local farmers markets. I like to cut it into segments and stir-fry like bok choi.

As for dou miu, I have never seen the immature sprouts. The only kind available here, from what I've seen, are actual cuttings from the mature snow peas plants.

When my chef's wife came from China (about 15 years ago), she said the big "new vegetable" was dou miu. Big patches of plants are grown just for the cuttings. The plants sprout new "branches" for a continuous harvest.

The grocer puts cuttings in closed bags. Sometimes, half the bag is wasted because the cuttings are too long -stalks being tough.

Lovely stuff quickly stir-fried with minced garlic and ginger, finished with a drizzle of sesame oil.

The immature sprouts would cook down to nothing? Would they be better used like sprouts in a salad or in a sandwich?

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

I just finally learned that what was labeled sesame in the Korean grocery is what I was looking for...shiso.

I kept looking at it and thought it was the same, but had to research to find out.

So what the heck is this this? The interior is radishy so that's my guess. It started to develop those slashes after a few days in the fridge. Please forgive if it's a no-brainer, I'm kinda new to cooking and picked it up in Asia, maybe this is a common thing in the bins at Wal-Mart in the States?01092011197.jpg

I just finally learned that what was labeled sesame in the Korean grocery is what I was looking for...shiso.

I kept looking at it and thought it was the same, but had to research to find out.

FYI, yes, those leaves are shiso, but I find them too large and fibrous for a lot of the classic Japanese uses. I have no idea why it's labelled "sesame leaf".

FYI, yes, those leaves are shiso, but I find them too large and fibrous for a lot of the classic Japanese uses. I have no idea why it's labelled "sesame leaf".

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perilla, it's because the literal translation of the Korean for Shiso (들깨) is "wild sesame". The plant is not related to sesame, though.

• Similar Content

• By liuzhou
      I have just returned home after four days (three nights) in Guilin. This was a business trip, so no exotic tales this time. Just food. Anyway, despite its reputation, Guilin is actually a rather dull city for the most part - anything interesting lies outside the city in the surrounding countryside.

I was staying in the far east of the city away from the rip-off tourist hotels and restaurants and spent my time with local people eating in normal restaurants.

I arrived in Wednesday just in time for lunch.

LUNCH WEDNESDAY

We started with the obligatory oil tea.

Oil Tea

Omelette with Chinese Chives

Stir-fried Mixed Vegetables

Sour Beef with Pickled Chillies

Cakes*

Morning Glory / Water Spinach**

* I asked what the cakes were but they got rather coy when it came to details. It seems these are unique to this restaurant.

** The Chinese name is 空心菜 kōng xīn cài, which literally means 'empty heart vegetable', describing the hollow stems.

• By liuzhou
      Introduction

I spent the weekend in western Hunan reuniting with 36 people I worked with for two years starting 20 years ago. All but one, 龙丽花 lóng lì huā, I hadn’t seen for 17 years.  I last saw her ten years ago. One other, 舒晶 shū jīng, with whom I have kept constant contact but not actually seen, helped me organise the visit in secret. No one else knew I was coming. In fact, I had told Long Lihua that I couldn’t come. Most didn’t even know I am still in China.

I arrived at my local station around 00:20 in order to catch the 1:00 train northwards travelling overnight to Hunan, with an advertised arrival time of 9:15 am. Shu Jing was to meet me.

When I arrived at the station, armed with my sleeper ticket, I found that the train was running 5 hours late! Station staff advised that I change my ticket for a different train, which I did. The problem was that there were no sleeper tickets available on the new train. All I could get was a seat. I had no choice, really. They refunded the difference and gave me my new ticket.

The second train was only 1½ hours late, then I had a miserable night, unable to sleep and very uncomfortable. Somehow the train managed to make up for the late start and we arrived on time. I was met as planned and we hopped into a taxi to the hotel where I was to stay and where the reunion was to take place.

They had set up a reception desk in the hotel lobby and around half of the people I had come to see were there. When I walked in there was this moment of confusion, stunned silence, then the friend I had lied to about not coming ran towards me and threw herself into my arms with tears running down her face and across her smile. It was the best welcome I’ve ever had. Then the others also welcomed me less physically, but no less warmly. They were around 20 years old when I met them; now they are verging on, or already are, 40, though few of them look it. Long Lihua is the one on the far right.

Throughout the morning people arrived in trickles as their trains or buses got in from all over China. One woman had come all the way from the USA. We sat around chatting, reminiscing and eating water melon until finally it was time for lunch.

Lunch we had in the hotel dining room. By that time, the group had swelled to enough to require three banqueting tables.

Western Hunan, known as 湘西 xiāng xī, where I was and where I lived for two years - twenty years ago, is a wild mountainous area full of rivers. It was one of the last areas “liberated” by Mao’s communists and was largely lawless until relatively recently. It has spectacular scenery.

Hunan is known for its spicy food, but Xiangxi is the hottest. I always know when I am back in Hunan. I just look out the train window and see every flat surface covered in chilis drying in the sun. Station platforms, school playgrounds, the main road from the village to the nearest town are all strewn with chillis.

The people there consider Sichuan to be full of chilli wimps. I love it. When I left Hunan I missed the food so much. So I was looking forward to this. It did not disappoint.

So Saturday lunch in next post.
    • By liuzhou
      Note: This follows on from the Munching with the Miao topic.

The three-hour journey north from Miao territory ended up taking four, as the driver missed a turning and we had to drive on to the next exit and go back. But our hosts waited for us at the expressway exit and lead us up a winding road to our destination - Buyang 10,000 mu tea plantation (布央万亩茶园 bù yāng wàn mǔ chá yuán) The 'mu' is  a Chinese measurement of area equal to 0.07 of a hectare, but the 10,000 figure is just another Chinese way of saying "very large".

We were in Sanjiang Dong Autonomous County, where 57% of the inhabitants are Dong.

The Dong people (also known as the Kam) are noted for their tea, love of glutinous rice and their carpentry and architecture. And their hospitality. They tend to live at the foot of mountains, unlike the Miao who live in the mid-levels.

By the time we arrived, it was lunch time, but first we had to have a sip of the local tea. This lady did the preparation duty.

This was what we call black tea, but the Chinese more sensibly call 'red tea'. There is something special about drinking tea when you can see the bush it grew on just outside the window!

Then into lunch:

Chicken Soup

The ubiquitous Egg and Tomato

Dried fish with soy beans and chilli peppers. Delicious.

Stir fried lotus root

Daikon Radish

Rice Paddy Fish Deep Fried in Camellia Oil - wonderful with a smoky flavour, but they are not smoked.

Out of Focus Corn and mixed vegetable

Fried Beans

Steamed Pumpkin

Chicken

Beef with Bitter Melon

Glutinous (Sticky) Rice

Oranges

The juiciest pomelo ever. The area is known  for the quality of its pomelos.

After lunch we headed out to explore the tea plantation.

Interspersed with the tea plants are these camellia trees, the seeds of which are used to make the Dong people's preferred cooking oil.

As we climbed the terraces we could hear singing and then came across this group of women. They are the tea pickers. It isn't tea picking time, but they came out in their traditional costumes to welcome us with their call and response music. They do often sing when picking. They were clearly enjoying themselves.

And here they are:

After our serenade we headed off again, this time to the east and the most memorable meal of the trip. Coming soon.

• By liuzhou
      Last week, Liuzhou government invited a number of diplomats from Laos, Malaysia, Indonesia, Myanmar/Burma, Poland, and Germany to visit the city and prefecture. They also invited me along. We spent Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday introducing the diplomats to the culture of the local ethnic groups and especially to their food culture.

First off, we headed two hours north into the mountains of Rongshui Miao Autonomous County. The Miao people (苗族 miáo zú), who include the the Hmong, live in the mid-levels of mountains and are predominantly subsistence farmers. Our first port of call was the county town, also Rongshui (融水 róng shuǐ, literal meaning: Melt Water) where we were to have lunch. But before lunch we had to go meet some people and see their local crafts. These are people I know well from my frequent work trips to the area, but for the diplomats, it was all new.

So, I had to wait for lunch, and I see no reason why you shouldn't either. Here are some of the people I live and work with.

This lovely young woman is wearing the traditional costume of an unmarried girl. Many young women wear this every day, but most only on festive occasions.

Her hat is made from silver (and is very heavy). Here is a closer look.

Married women dispense with those gladrags and go for this look:

As you can see she is weaving bamboo into a lantern cover.

The men tend to go for this look, although I'm not sure that the Bluetooth earpiece for his cellphone is strictly traditional.

The children don't get spared either

This little girl is posing with the Malaysian Consul-General.

After meeting these people we went on to visit a 芦笙 (lú shēng) workshop. The lusheng is a reed wind instrument and an important element in the Miao, Dong and Yao peoples' cultures.

Then at last we headed to the restaurant, but as is their custom, in homes and restaurants, guests are barred from entering until they go through the ritual of the welcoming cup of home-brewed rice wine.

The consular staff from Myanmar/Burma and Malaysia "unlock" the door.

Then you have the ritual hand washing part.

Having attended to your personal hygiene, but before  entering the dining room, there is one more ritual to go through. You arrive here and sit around this fire and wok full of some mysterious liquid on the boil.

On a nearby table is this

Puffed rice, soy beans, peanuts and scallion. These are ladled into bowls.

with a little salt, and then drowned in the "tea" brewing in the wok.

This is  油茶 (yóu chá) or Oil Tea. The tea is made from Tea Seed Oil which is made from the seeds of the camellia bush. This dish is used as a welcoming offering to guests in homes and restaurants. Proper etiquette suggests that three cups is a minimum, but they will keep refilling your cup until you stop drinking. First time I had it I really didn't like it, but I persevered and now look forward to it.

L-R: Director of the Foreign Affairs Dept of Liuzhou government, consuls-general of Malaysia, Myanmar, Laos.

Having partaken of the oil tea, finally we are allowed to enter the dining room, where two tables have been laid out for our use.

Let the eating, finally, begin.

In no particular order:

Steamed corn, taro and sweet potato

Bamboo Shoots

Duck

Banana leaf stuffed with sticky rice and mixed vegetables and steamed.

Egg pancake with unidentified greenery

Stir fried pork and beans

Stir fried Chinese banana (Ensete lasiocarpum)

Pig Ears

This may not look like much, but was the star of the trip. Rice paddy fish, deep fried in camellia tree seed oil with wild mountain herbs.
      We ate this at every meal, cooked with slight variations, but never tired of it.

Stir fried Greens

Our meal was accompanied by the wait staff singing to us and serving home-made rice wine (sweetish and made from the local sticky rice).

Everything we ate was grown or reared within half a kilometre of the restaurant and was all free-range, organic. And utterly delicious.

Roll on dinner time.

On the trip I was designated the unofficial official photographer and ended up taking 1227 photographs. I just got back last night and was busy today, so I will try to post the rest of the first day (and dinner) as soon as I can.
    • By SusieQ
      Hello all, I need help figuring out which part of the sichuan peppercorns I bought to use. From what I've read, I think I'm supposed to use the hulls rather than the black seeds. Toast the hulls and grind them up, correct?  This is for use in my fave dish, mapo tofu. Thanks for your help! 

(Well, that didn't work. I guess I don't know how to upload a photo. Nuts. Maybe I don't need a photo? Maybe just tell me whether to use the hulls or the black seeds, or both?)