• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recipes that Rock: 2011

nakji

Another really excellent curry: just the thing for a cold night when you've got lots of time to cook things down. Madhur Jaffrey's Sumatran Lamb Curry.

gallery_41378_6780_150465.jpg

There's something about the step of separating the coconut cream from the thin liquid beneath, and adding it in quite a bit later after cooking the curry down that makes it very rich.

She uses bell pepper mixed with cayenne to give it a mild heat, but since I had mild red chilis, I used those instead. I want to say we had the leftovers for lunch, but there were none.

On a whim last night I made a sort of hash brown casserole with turnips as my wife is on a diet.

Just small cubes of turnip, chopped onion and topped with gruyere and cotswald cheese. Baked in the oven until the cheese was brown while our steak rested, about 10-15 minutes.

Holy Cow! We licked the bowl clean.

I have a couple! The first is completely simple but turned out really nice. A maple glazed salmon with a garden salad served with a maple and chipotle vinaigrette. It plated nice as well.

5398498586_647e332c27_b.jpg

The second one is a bit weirder, and I made it up in about 10 minutes for an excercise at school. When It was done, I came home and made it and it turned out pretty wild. Its a Pine Braised Turkey Breast with Root Vegetable Puree and a White Truffle Veloute. It was delicious. Next time I make it, I will get pictures.

Alex.

Two recipes discovered this week:

gallery_41378_6890_12651.jpg

Papas guisadas - stewed potatoes. Would be wicked for brunch.

gallery_41378_6890_415758.jpg

Pineapple upside down cake from epicurious.com- perfect. Fudgy and pineapply. Take my advice, though - reduce the cardamon to 1 tsp., if you keep it all.

OK, I was completely skeptical of the broccoli soup. How could something so simple, no chicken broth, no miso, no additions that I would totally add, how could it be good?

I'm sitting here now and marveling at the simplicity of the dish. YUM! This will be on the menu of our next dinner party, and I'm amazed at how nice this is and so SIMPLE!

I even forgot to add the olive oil at the end as I just wanted to dig in and try it.... Amazing. Thanks for posting!!

I have a confession.....it's time to come clean....

Hello. My name is Pierogi. For the last (censored) years, I have been a winter squash hater. Loathed the things. Loudly and frequently declaimed to all who would listen that I hated winter squash.

Then....then. After months of searching for one, I joined a CSA, and swore to the food Gods that I would use and try to enjoy everything I got in my biweekly share. Which, of course, for the last 3 months, have included WINTER vegetables. Including, far too often, the dreaded winter squash. Sigh.

Thanks to the wonder that is EatYourBooks, I found the following today in a book I've probably had for 15 or 20 years, and have never cooked out of. It was likely a gift, since it's a vegetarian cookbook, and I am most definitely not.

Make this soup. Make it soon, then make it again. It rocked me out of my socks, off of my foundations, shifted my world. My name is Pierogi, and with this soup, I LOVE WINTER SQUASH !!!!

Adapted from "The Greens Cook Book" by Deborah Madison with Edward Espe Brown

Winter Squash Soup with Red Chili and Mint

Serves 4-6

Make the veggie stock:

The seeds and inner fibers of 2&1/2 pounds winter squash

2 celery stalks, diced

1 onion, roughly chopped or sliced

1 bay leaf

5 sprigs parsley

½ tsp. dried sage leaves

1 tsp. salt

8C cold water

Cut squash in half, scoop out the seeds & strings, and put in a deep sauce pan with the other ingredients. Bring to a boil, simmer 25-35 minutes, strain, press on solids, and reserve.

For the soup:

2&1/2 pounds winter squash (butternut, Perfection, Sugar pumpkin or other)

1 red bell pepper OR the equivalent amount of jarred piquillo peppers OR the equivalent amount of plain jarred roasted red peppers (I used piquillos....yum)

14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes (or 1 pound fresh tomatoes, peeled, seeded & diced), drained and juice reserved

1 dried ancho chili or 1-2 Tblsp. New Mexican chili powder

1 Tblsp. butter

1 Tblsp. EVOO

1 large yellow onion, finely chopped

1 clove garlic, minced

1 tsp. salt

6-7C veggie stock (above)

1 Tblsp. parsley, chopped

1 Tblsp. fresh mint, chopped

Cut the squash into smaller pieces and peel. If using butternut, this is easily done with a vegetable peeler. Save the peelings and toss them into the simmering stock. Cut the squash into about 1/2-inch pieces.

If using a fresh red pepper, roast over a live flame or under a broiler until skin is charred. Place in a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let steam for about 10 minutes or until soft. Peel off skin, remove stem, seeds and veins and cut into roughly 1/4-inch dice. If using jarred piquillos or jarred red peppers, skip this step.

If using fresh tomatoes, char them in the same manner as the red pepper, then skin, seed and dice. For canned tomatoes, just drain and reserve juice.

Remove the stem, seeds and veins from the ancho and cover with boiling water. Soak for about 20 minutes to soften, then blend with enough water to make a loose puree.

Heat the butter and oil in a deep pot and add the onion and garlic. Cook over med-low heat until the onion is soft, about 10 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, half of the chili puree (or half of the powder), and the salt, and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the squash, red peppers, reserved tomato juice and 6C of the veggie stock. Simmer until the squash has softened and almost collapsed, about 25-40 minutes. Either mash the squash with a large spoon or a potato masher. Alternatively, you could use an immersion blender if you wanted a more smooth puree, but I left it a bit chunky.

Thin with more stock or water if needed, adjust seasoning with salt, and add more chili puree or powder if desired. Sprinkle each serving with mint and parsley right before serving. (DO NOT skip the mint…it totally makes the soup.)

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

Hello, Pierogi. :biggrin:

I love discovering recipes that make you completely re-think an ingredient. It's like finding an author that you've never read before with a twenty-year back catalogue. That soup sounds amazing - I'll have to remember it when the CSA sends me bell peppers and pumpkin together.

What is in those stewed potatoes, Erin? They look delicious!

Basically, tomatoes, onion, potatoes, chilis and cheese. Some salt and oil, too. I think the key in getting the good flavour is roasting the tomatoes and toasting the chilis - it adds an unexpected complexity.

I must have done something wrong. I love broccoli. So does DH. The soup was like cooked broccoli. Boring. We gave up eating it and put it into the dogs' vegetable container. (They eat pulped greens). I don't know whether to be embarrassed or confused or what?

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Made another one for a Super Bowl party. These are simiply the best brownies I've ever eaten, let alone made. The browned butter gives them such a depth of flavor, and blends so well with the cocoa, they're spectacular. I subbed pecans for the walnuts, other than that, I made them as written. From the February issue of Bon Appetit:

Cocoa and brown butter brownies

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

I must have done something wrong. I love broccoli. So does DH. The soup was like cooked broccoli. Boring. We gave up eating it and put it into the dogs' vegetable container. (They eat pulped greens). I don't know whether to be embarrassed or confused or what?

I'm sorry it didn't work..I doubt you did anything wrong. Maybe it's just that you and your DH were such ardent broccoli-lovers before that you were less surprised than the rest of us at how good broccoli can taste. :smile:

A recent Weeknight Kitchen newsletter from the Splendid Table proffered, along with some forgettable main dish, the easiest coconut macaroon recipe I've ever seen. I've filed the recipe and lost the column from which it came, but I've committed it to memory, as it is my very favorite cookie in the whole world now. And it's easy enough to make any time I have the macaroon urge.

3 cups dried, sweetened coconut

2 eggs

1 tsp almond extract (Lynne called for vanilla, but I prefer almond)

1/2 cup sugar

Beat eggs with almond extract. Add sugar. Stir into coconut until the coconut is well moistened. Make "haystacks" on a parchment-covered baking sheet, and bake at 350 (which is probably 375 in a normal oven) for about 20 minutes, until golden brown.

The recipe makes about 20, which is good, because that means 20 is all I'll eat.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

• 2 weeks later...

A recent Weeknight Kitchen newsletter from the Splendid Table proffered, along with some forgettable main dish, the easiest coconut macaroon recipe I've ever seen. I've filed the recipe and lost the column from which it came, but I've committed it to memory, as it is my very favorite cookie in the whole world now. And it's easy enough to make any time I have the macaroon urge.

3 cups dried, sweetened coconut

2 eggs

1 tsp almond extract (Lynne called for vanilla, but I prefer almond)

1/2 cup sugar

Beat eggs with almond extract. Add sugar. Stir into coconut until the coconut is well moistened. Make "haystacks" on a parchment-covered baking sheet, and bake at 350 (which is probably 375 in a normal oven) for about 20 minutes, until golden brown.

The recipe makes about 20, which is good, because that means 20 is all I'll eat.

I make something like this, but with egg whites only.

They're very to change accrording to whatever you have around, sometimes I'll add lime or lemon zest. The most recent batch had orange zest and some ground cardamom, which is a great combination.

Edited by Chufi (log)

I finally tried the broccoli soup. I used 1/2 regular broccoli + 1/2 romanesco broccoli (both from my CSA bag), and feta, walnuts & good fruity olive oil as the garnish.

At first it tasted a little bland but I found that with a little extra salt & pepper, the flavors really popped. It's great and so simple.

I can't believe how Gordon Ramsey is using Sainte Maure goat cheese as a ganish in his

. How decadent!!

I'm sorry it didn't work..I doubt you did anything wrong. Maybe it's just that you and your DH were such ardent broccoli-lovers before that you were less surprised than the rest of us at how good broccoli can taste. :smile:

Me too. The soup is nice, but not mind blowing to me.

I tried this recipe after seeing it on the Pioneer Woman blog. It's an amazingly good dessert, quick to come together, and almost all pantry ingredients except the cherries. Worth keeping cherries on hand when those unexpected guests drop by!

Cherry Pudding Cake

Cake:

1 cup all-purpose flour

1 tsp. baking powder

1/2 tsp salt

1 cup sugar

1 egg

1/2 cup whole milk

2 tbsp butter, room temperature

1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts

1 can tart cherries, in water, drained, juice reserved

Sauce:

Reserved cherry juice (plus water to make one cup}

1/2 cup sugar

1 tbsp. all purpose flour

2 tbsp butter

1/2 tsp. almond extract

Cream together butter and sugar; add milk and egg and combine well. In a separate bowl, whisk or sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Add to wet ingredients and stir until well combined. Fold in cherries and pecans. Pour into a buttered 9 x 9 baking pan or dish, smooth top, and bake at 375 for about 40 minutes.

While cake is baking, whisk flour into juice in a small saucepan, add sugar, and bring to a boil; cook until thickened. Remove from heat and add almond extract and butter; stir until butter is dissolved.

When cake comes out of the oven, immediately pour sauce all over the cake. Use all of it.

Serve warm or at room temperature. Wonderful topped with a little whipped cream.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Roast Chicken Soup from BBC Magazine . I've had this on my list of things to try and it finally surfaced. I think what prevented me from preparing it sooner is the step which requires us to decant half the soup (with the chicken) and whiz with the immersion blender - that just seemed strange to me, maybe even a little unpleasant. Fortunately, I got over my distaste and was delighted with my silky-but-still-a-little-brothy creamy, chunky chicken soup.

It's lovely as written, but immensely flexible. I've added leftover roasted vegetables, roasted garlic, caramelized onions, whatever herbs are on hand, a little cream instead of yogurt (but it really doesn't need cream) it's richly satisfying - especially on a snow day like we're having today in Vancouver.

Best of all, it uses leftovers and takes about 30 minutes to put together.

A few days ago, I looked at my local market's online ad and saw they had mahi-mahi on sale. I did a little Googling and came up with this recipe for Grilled Mahi Mahi with Thai Coconut Sauce

Made it that evening and we loved it!

I made two slight changes... I used the whole can of coconut milk (dumped it in before I remembered it was supposed to be one cup). After the sauce had reduced, I tasted and decided it needed a little something. So, I added a squirt of Sirachi sauce. Perfect! And, it made the sauce a more attractive color. :biggrin: Served with basmati rice and grilled asparagus. DH and I both decided this one will go into regular rotation. Easy, quick, lots of flavor.

• 3 weeks later...

Just made the Carrots with Lentils and Olive Oil recipe that recently appeared in the Times and loved it... http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/08/health/nutrition/08recipehealth.html?ref=carrots

I served it with basmati rice as a simple weeknight dinner. It was fantastic -- so savory, and somehow really more than the sum of its parts. It should make for great leftover lunches as well.

That said, I made a number of smallish changes, mostly out of necessity. I was totally out of garlic (gasp!) so I added some ginger and used a pinch of garlic powder. I upped the onion a little, and cut down the carrot a little (so it was a little more balanced ratio of carrots to lentils, rather than predominantly carrot)... And I used cilantro instead of mint. I have the sense it is a pretty flexible recipe -- I have no doubt the original specifications would be delicious as well...

Serious serious yum.

Edited by Emily_R (log)

Just made the Carrots with Lentils and Olive Oil recipe that recently appeared in the Times and loved it... http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/08/health/nutrition/08recipehealth.html?ref=carrots

Looks lovely. Now on my list. And I'd be astounded if a)I ever had all the ingredients that any recipe called for and if b) I followed the recipe exactly. Good going, EmilyR

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

• 4 weeks later...

Had another huge hit last night! As the NY Times Calls it, "Spicy, Garlicky, Cashew Chicken." Chicken in a cashew, cilantro, jalapeno and lime pesto, baked until the nuts in the pesto turn it into a browned crust for the chicken. With extra sauce reserved to mix in with white rice. SO GOOD. Made it for guests who went crazy for it. Note that a) the recipe doesn't specify keeping sauce aside for serving with the chicken, but that is a must. It was difficult not to just eat it all straight with a spoon. I used about half of the sauce on the chicken (and I used 2lbs boneless/skinless thighs rather than 3lbs regular), and saved the rest. Also, I baked rather than grilled. That allowed the sauce to stay on the chicken and make a crust. I baked at 400 degrees, and then broiled for a minute or so at the end to get the topping a little browner. Would be killer on pork tenderloin as well.

Here's the link to the recipe...

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/11/dining/111arex.html

And here's the link to the blog where I originally saw it (so you can see a photo) -- a really fun blog that has essentially never steered me wrong with recipes...

http://thursdaynightsmackdown.com/2011/03/31/spicy-garlicky-cashew-chicken/comment-page-1/#comment-17179

Anyone else have any recipes that rock lately?

Emily

Emily - that cashew chicken sounds wonderful. I like the idea of baking and then a run under the broiler. I do a similar recipe with peanuts on the grill and though I hold some sauce aside for the meal, too many lovely bits fall into the fire. This will happen soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Had another huge hit last night! As the NY Times Calls it, "Spicy, Garlicky, Cashew Chicken." Chicken in a cashew, cilantro, jalapeno and lime pesto, baked until the nuts in the pesto turn it into a browned crust for the chicken. With extra sauce reserved to mix in with white rice. SO GOOD. Made it for guests who went crazy for it. Note that a) the recipe doesn't specify keeping sauce aside for serving with the chicken, but that is a must. It was difficult not to just eat it all straight with a spoon. I used about half of the sauce on the chicken (and I used 2lbs boneless/skinless thighs rather than 3lbs regular), and saved the rest. Also, I baked rather than grilled. That allowed the sauce to stay on the chicken and make a crust. I baked at 400 degrees, and then broiled for a minute or so at the end to get the topping a little browner. Would be killer on pork tenderloin as well.

And here's the link to the blog where I originally saw it (so you can see a photo) -- a really fun blog that has essentially never steered me wrong with recipes...

http://thursdaynightsmackdown.com/2011/03/31/spicy-garlicky-cashew-chicken/comment-page-1/#comment-17179

Emily

Thanks Emily. This was awesome!

I worked around the broil/bake issue by sous vide-ing the chicken thighs for 90 minutes at 152 deg F. Then finished the thighs with a quick char on a hot bbq grill. The smell of roast cashews and cilantro is still in the air..... :wub:

• 3 weeks later...

Emily

Thanks for this recommendation! I've made this twice - once for DBF and myself under the broiler, with coconut rice and sliced cucumbers in rice vinegar, and once yesterday, for Mother's Day, on the grill. Mom wanted to grill chicken, and she was planning on tossing boneless skinless chicken breasts on the grill. I told her I had something better. The family loved it, even though I used skin on, bone in chicken thighs and they claim to only like white meat. The sauce is seriously awesome. My brother and his girlfriend both separately called and asked me for the recipe. It's going into the permanent summer grilling rotation.

"Nothing you could cook will ever be as good as the $2.99 all-you-can-eat pizza buffet." - my EX (wonder why he's an ex?)

My eGfoodblog: My corner of the Midwest