• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: Shelby (2011) - From the field to the table. (warning, pi

Shelby

Thanks so much for sharing a week of your life with us Shelby.

For me it has been like a window into my past. So many of the things you prepared were things I grew up with on a regular basis.

I do hope you will keep posting about the game cookery because there have been a few threads during the years I have been a member, where there have been questions of how to prepare game. Most of the members only have book references and to see actual photos and get step-by-step instructions, is a godsend.

I'm sure I'm not alone in this wish.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Thanks so much for sharing a week of your life with us Shelby.

For me it has been like a window into my past. So many of the things you prepared were things I grew up with on a regular basis.

I do hope you will keep posting about the game cookery because there have been a few threads during the years I have been a member, where there have been questions of how to prepare game. Most of the members only have book references and to see actual photos and get step-by-step instructions, is a godsend.

I'm sure I'm not alone in this wish.

Thank you so much!!! I'm so glad you enjoyed it. My husband loved your manure spreader story :laugh:

I'd be honored to continue posting about the different game we process and cook.

Thank you, Shelby. When I get my hands on hem, I'm going to re-read the whole set of "Little House" books, with recipes in mind. Maybe we should start a topic?

OMG YES!!!! Please , let's do that!! I'd LOVE to have a "group read". Let me know when and where to "meet" you here!

I'm excited. I was planning on reading them again soon because all of this brought up so many book memories.

Thank you, again, everyone!!!

I'm in. I love the books and haven't read them in awhile. They are packed away with the regular books (I have so many Christmas oriented books that I have to pack up non-holiday ones :rolleyes: ). But I should dig them out sometime in the next week.

Once again, great blog, Shelby. I was excited when I saw that you were blogging and you exceeded every single expectation!

Thank you so much Shelby for a wonderful blog. I had a super busy week so I haven't chimed in but would catch up every day or two. Like other have said, it brought back memories of my childhood as my Dad was an avid hunter. Unfortunately, my mom was not a cook and my dad was not a very good cook so the results of his efforts were not enjoyed so much by me or my siblings. I didn't learn to like venison until I was an adult and someone else made it for me.

My favorite part was the reference to maple syrup on snow. I remember fantasizing about it as a child. Of course, we had snow this week in NJ so I ran out and got some, only to discover that the constant supply of pancakes for my daughter and her friends used up the last of our supply! Thank you again!!

Thank you, Shelby. When I get my hands on hem, I'm going to re-read the whole set of "Little House" books, with recipes in mind. Maybe we should start a topic?

OMG YES!!!! Please , let's do that!! I'd LOVE to have a "group read". Let me know when and where to "meet" you here!

I'm excited. I was planning on reading them again soon because all of this brought up so many book memories.

Thank you, again, everyone!!!

I'm in. I love the books and haven't read them in awhile. They are packed away with the regular books (I have so many Christmas oriented books that I have to pack up non-holiday ones :rolleyes: ). But I should dig them out sometime in the next week.

Once again, great blog, Shelby. I was excited when I saw that you were blogging and you exceeded every single expectation!

Oh thank you, Kim! Dig those books out. I'm so excited to start reading. :smile:

Thanks for a great blog; I've thoroughly enjoyed it. My husband and I often wax poetic about getting "back to the land." It's good to be reminded of how much work it really is to disabuse us of our idyllic fantasy!

:laugh: Let me know...I'll help you get a dose of reality any time you need it :laugh:

Thank you so much Shelby for a wonderful blog. I had a super busy week so I haven't chimed in but would catch up every day or two. Like other have said, it brought back memories of my childhood as my Dad was an avid hunter. Unfortunately, my mom was not a cook and my dad was not a very good cook so the results of his efforts were not enjoyed so much by me or my siblings. I didn't learn to like venison until I was an adult and someone else made it for me.

My favorite part was the reference to maple syrup on snow. I remember fantasizing about it as a child. Of course, we had snow this week in NJ so I ran out and got some, only to discover that the constant supply of pancakes for my daughter and her friends used up the last of our supply! Thank you again!!

Thank you so much!

Thank you for a truly fascinating--and for a carnivore like me, satisfying--blog. Everything from the breakdown of the deer to the jerky to machinery I've never seen before (that pasta maker!!) was amazing.

I'm getting ready to play with my pasta machine as we speak. :smile:

Thank you so much for you kind words.

I appreciate you all so much!

The complete set (9) of the Little House books is temporarily out of stock on Amazon! I am on the hunt and will join you all for the read and cook along.

Shelby- you inspired me today to go out and use the bounty in my garden for something out of the box, and to substitute with what I have instead of running to the market for an ingredient. My hero :wub:

The complete set (9) of the Little House books is temporarily out of stock on Amazon! I am on the hunt and will join you all for the read and cook along.

Shelby- you inspired me today to go out and use the bounty in my garden for something out of the box, and to substitute with what I have instead of running to the market for an ingredient. My hero :wub:

You're kidding!!! How could Amazon run out of the best set of books EVER?? :hmmm: I hope you're able to find them somewhere. I'm so excited about the read/cook along.

Awwww, I don't think I've ever inspired anyone before :biggrin: Thank you so much. You--and all of you--have made my day!! :wub:

edited to say that sometimes when we run out of something and we sub something else, it turns into a wonderful discovery.

Edited by Shelby (log)