• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: Shelby (2011) - From the field to the table. (warning, pi

Shelby

But, I have eaten soybean after soybean while walking along the rows.

I was going to ask you - do you ever boil up a bunch for edamame? They make an amazing summer sanck with beer. Or mixed in with rice and a bit of salt.

As for the ginger - in the days when I was a kid before fresh gingerroot was commonly available at local supermarkets, my Dad used to use candied ginger to substitute in stir-fries and the like. Not exactly authentic, but "make do and mend" as it were.

Your pictures of venison jerky are wonderful - does your husband take it hunting with him? I confess, before I read the whole post as the pictures loaded, I thought I was looking at Korean barbecue.

That is a FINE looking dehydrator! Do you do fruit and veggies in it, too?

Please tell me tomorrow is goose and noodles...I've been looking forward to that one ever since you mentioned it!

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Kansas may be flat, but that ensures some great sunrises. This was the view from the porch a bit ago.

P1071621.JPG

Getting some things organized...I'll be back in a bit! Happy Friday, Everyone!!

Loving the whole thing Shelby! Sunrise in the country is a time I hope to see soon.

Stay warm.

Thank you so much! I hope you do, too!

This has been a lovely blog, Shelby. Thank you for showing off "Flyover Country" in such a beautiful way. :biggrin:

I've never heard it called that, but, it's very correct! I love seeing all of the fields from up above. Very "symmetrical".

But, I have eaten soybean after soybean while walking along the rows.

I was going to ask you - do you ever boil up a bunch for edamame? They make an amazing summer sanck with beer. Or mixed in with rice and a bit of salt.

As for the ginger - in the days when I was a kid before fresh gingerroot was commonly available at local supermarkets, my Dad used to use candied ginger to substitute in stir-fries and the like. Not exactly authentic, but "make do and mend" as it were.

Your pictures of venison jerky are wonderful - does your husband take it hunting with him? I confess, before I read the whole post as the pictures loaded, I thought I was looking at Korean barbecue.

I really really would like to start an edamame topic somewhere because I'm DYING to do more with my soybeans. I need all of your ideas and input. If I start a topic in the cooking section I need your brain in there. :biggrin:

It DOES look like Korean bbq a bit!

That is a FINE looking dehydrator! Do you do fruit and veggies in it, too?

Please tell me tomorrow is goose and noodles...I've been looking forward to that one ever since you mentioned it!

We just got the dehydrator for Christmas and you guys are all witnessing our first time using it.

I had a really cheap, crappy one before and, after trying a few times, I just gave up and it's in the basement on a shelf.

I'm dying to dry herbs and tomatoes in it. And fruit...you just inspired me...banana chips??

YES, tomorrow is goose and noodles day!!!

I have it all ready to go in the slow cooker early in the morning.

I'm going to try to fit in a couple of things besides that tomorrow. AND, my husband is going deer hunting in the morning, so cross your fingers.

IF he gets a deer--it's going to be one big day of blogging lol.

Venison drip sandwiches!!!

This is the cheese that we both decided to have on our sandwiches. If you like horseradish, this cheese is the bomb!

P1071652.JPG

Had to make the fries again....damn it, they are addictive and NOT conducive to dieting lol.

P1071656.JPG

The roast cooling:

P1071657.JPG

Chopped up....notice the difference in the color of meat between the eye of round and the rest?

P1071660.JPG

P1071662.JPG

Onions and peppers

P1071658.JPG

Meet Addison, or, more commonly known as Chum

P1071667.JPG

P1071670.JPG

P1071672.JPG

P1071674.JPG

Hope you all are having a great Friday evening!! It's the best night of the week!!

See you in the morning. Get your seatbelts on...it's the last day and I hope it'll knock your socks off!

Shelby,

When we lived in Missouri, I borrowed my stepmom's dehydrator to do tomatoes. I put them in old wire-top canning jars from the flea market and gave them as Christmas presents.

I also did orange slices, then sprinkled them with citrus/spice scented oil and hung them on our Christmas tree and put them in wooden bowls around the house. They look like stained glass ornaments on the tree! I've wanted to buy one for myself, but have no place to store it. :hmmm:

Your blog has been really inspiring and you've made me long for quail and venison and turkey. Please do another blog in Spring/Summer! I want to see your garden... especially the asparagus. The bed I planted in Missouri was just starting to produce a lot when we moved away. The people who bought our house plowed it under. :sad:

Shelby, that should go in our obscene sandwiches topic.

As for edamame, Torakris and Hiroyuki provide excellent ideas and detailed instructions in the edamame topic. For me, it's all about the salt - the more seas salt, the better!

Hope you all are having a great Friday evening!! It's the best night of the week!!

See you in the morning. Get your seatbelts on...it's the last day and I hope it'll knock your socks off!

My socks have already been knocked off a few times this week. But they are back on and I'm ready for more.

Cheers,

Anne

Shelby,

When we lived in Missouri, I borrowed my stepmom's dehydrator to do tomatoes. I put them in old wire-top canning jars from the flea market and gave them as Christmas presents.

I also did orange slices, then sprinkled them with citrus/spice scented oil and hung them on our Christmas tree and put them in wooden bowls around the house. They look like stained glass ornaments on the tree! I've wanted to buy one for myself, but have no place to store it. :hmmm:

Your blog has been really inspiring and you've made me long for quail and venison and turkey. Please do another blog in Spring/Summer! I want to see your garden... especially the asparagus. The bed I planted in Missouri was just starting to produce a lot when we moved away. The people who bought our house plowed it under. :sad:

OMG you should get a dehydrator....they aren't that huge...and I want to see your creations! I'm dying to try the oranges that you spoke of. I can almost smell them.

I'd love to be invited to blog again during my garden time....summer is my favorite season.

They plowed your asparagus??? That is blasphemy!!! UGH.

I feel your pain. We rented the house and the ground that we lived at before this one. I got over 200 cherry, sand plum etc. bushes and planted them around the perimeter. They were just getting ready to mature and maybe produce fruit when we moved. The next year, they, too, were plowed. Sigh.

Oh, Addison is so cute! Does he hunt with you husband? And, does your husband have a bird dog for the quail/pheasant hunting?

Thank you!! She's a doll--she's only 11 months old and she's HUGE. Addy goes goose and duck hunting with my husband..and she's actually gone on a pheasant hunt before. We have to Brittany Spaniels--Nikki and Roxy--they are the main quail/pheasant doggies. They all contribute greatly to feeding the family!

Shelby, that should go in our obscene sandwiches topic.

As for edamame, Torakris and Hiroyuki provide excellent ideas and detailed instructions in the edamame topic. For me, it's all about the salt - the more seas salt, the better!

I need to browse that sandwich thread....I'm drooling already.

THANK YOU for the edamame links. I can't wait to read and learn.

My socks have already been knocked off a few times this week. But they are back on and I'm ready for more.

:laugh: I'm glad you got them back on!!! Thank you so much!

This has been an amazing blog, Shelby. I am exhausted each day after trying to catch up with you! :wacko:

Your husband seems to plays a big role in providing the ingredients for your labours of love. Will we get to see the "big game hunter" before the end of your blog?

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

This has been an amazing blog, Shelby. I am exhausted each day after trying to catch up with you! :wacko:

Your husband seems to plays a big role in providing the ingredients for your labours of love. Will we get to see the "big game hunter" before the end of your blog?

Awwwww thank you!!! Yes, I couldn't do this without him! He's pretty camera shy, but I'll try to get him.

Really enjoyed reading this blog Shelby, thanks very much!

Thank you for reading!

Happy Saturday, everyone!!!!

Remember the roasts from 2008 that we found? Well, we thawed them out and ground them up last night and made breakfast sausage.

P1071651.JPG

P1071650.JPG

This mix is really really good:

P1071654.JPG

P1071653.JPG

I made my husband and I both a breakfast sandwich for this morning.

His:

P1071655.JPG

Mine...that I just wolfed down like I hadn't eaten in a decade...

P1081683.JPG

Oh, and here's the finished jerky.

P1081682.JPG

You must be exhausted from all of this! I can't believe how much you've shown us in a week! :wub:

The jerky looks perfect. How does it taste?

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.

Mmm...sausage...and that jerky looks amazing. My husband (who frequently looks over my shoulder to see what I'm doing on the computer) is envious of your meat-drying skills, which I sadly lack.

If you ate pasta and antipasto, would you still be hungry? ~Author Unknown

Shelby,

fantastic blog. i am reading this from dubai where this is not anything running around that we can catch and kill and very jealous.

fishing is good though!!

I will definitely keep a close track on your exploits from here forward!!!

thanks for the drool worthy pictures from the bottom of my heart from a dry dry dry dry land in the sand, Dubai!!

Happy New Year

Joel

You must be exhausted from all of this! I can't believe how much you've shown us in a week! :wub:

The jerky looks perfect. How does it taste?

It's spicy, salty and chewy...I think I hurt my jaw lol.

Thank you so much for your kind words :wub:

Mmm...sausage...and that jerky looks amazing. My husband (who frequently looks over my shoulder to see what I'm doing on the computer) is envious of your meat-drying skills, which I sadly lack.

Awww, heck, thanks! There are times that we've over-dried it, and there are times that it's been like an over-cooked steak because we've under-dried....it just takes some practice.

Shelby,

fantastic blog. i am reading this from dubai where this is not anything running around that we can catch and kill and very jealous.

fishing is good though!!

I will definitely keep a close track on your exploits from here forward!!!

thanks for the drool worthy pictures from the bottom of my heart from a dry dry dry dry land in the sand, Dubai!!

Happy New Year

Joel

Dubai!! Wow!! I've always wanted to travel over there. The Palm Island fascinates me. Oh and to see the Dubai World Cup...drool...I'm a big horse racing fan. And your restaurants --so fancy and the food looks so good!

Thank you for reading and for your kind words!

Loved your Blog. You write with humor. Very enjoyable.

ps. The Harbingers of Doom are gone. The question is: who removed them? The thoughtless hunter or some furry four-legged beasties of which we have many, both large and small.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I've never heard of sparkling pear juice - but it sounds delicious and unusual. Is it very sweet, or on the drier side?

It's on the sweeter side, but not so sweet that it makes you feel like you must cough something up...or maybe it's only me that does that... :unsure:

:laugh:

Loved your Blog. You write with humor. Very enjoyable.

ps. The Harbingers of Doom are gone. The question is: who removed them? The thoughtless hunter or some furry four-legged beasties of which we have many, both large and small.

Thank you so very much!! Don't leave me yet....more to come. :smile:

I asked the great hunter why one would hang the geese out like that for so long and he had NO idea unless it's just to show them off for some reason? Around here, some people, when they catch a large catfish out of the river, they nail the head to a power pole in their yard. :rolleyes:

Here's a note about hanging wild fowl.

(which might be "foul" after a few days)

However, the technique is ancient and as long as they are in what is equivalent to refrigeration, it does work.

Around here nothing hung outside would last long because of bobcats.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Couple of comments:

I noticed in one of your pictures that you use powdered buttermilk. I use it too as the liquid stuff isn't available where I live. I actually like it as a flavor and I think it works great. But the powder in my can always turns hard. And makes hard balls that are impossible to sift. Does yours do that? Have any solutions?

I am also still in awe of the price of that brisket! I miss America! Was that a sale or the normal price????

That recipe for the pheasant in the slow cooker looked amazing. How long does it cook in there? I don't have a slow cooker actually, but would still like to try that dish!! And looking forward to the goose and noodles!

All in all, I am enjoying your blog immensely. When I lived in the US, I lived in big cities. It has been a real treat reading about how you live and eat! You've created more than a blog, but a snapshot of your life and it's really a pleasure reading it.

Hi Ambra, thank you for reading and for your wonderful comments!

I discovered the powdered buttermilk not too long ago, so, my can is just opened. I wonder if we should dump the powder out into a ziplock bag and store it in the fridge? Or if just storing the can in the fridge would help? I LOVE this stuff because I never seem to have buttermilk when I need it. And, I agree. The flavor comes out more in the powdered version.

That brisket is around the normal price. Kansas is also cattle country, so that may be why it's a bit cheaper than where you live. How much is it for you?

Oh, you can definitely do the pheasant casserole in the oven. Just use a baking dish and cover with foil. I like the pheasant really tender, so the longer and slower you cook it, the better. I'd say 350 degrees for an hour or so? Check and see if it's bubbling and take a little tester piece out.

I keep my powdered buttermilk (exactly the same) in the fridge. I haven't noticed that it has gotten hard or formed into balls.

It amazes me how celery stays so much fresher when wrapped in foil. Celery sellers should package it IN foil. Think how much fresher it'd be.

P1081685.JPG

Maybe I'm just easily amazed. :laugh:

Ok, goose and veggies are simmering happily together in the slow cooker. We'll do the noodles a bit later.

P1081686.JPG

P1081687.JPG