• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: Shelby (2011) - From the field to the table. (warning, pi

Shelby

Now, there are numerous parts such as the neck and the leg beneath the knee that we deem as too tough to do anything with except for hamburger.

I like the shoulder (I think it's the shoulder? someone use to give it to me, he called it a "chuck") for mincemeat. I think venison makes the best mincemeat. Alas, I no longer have a source.

Love the photos of the break-down.

Shelby- how did you acquire your skills with game meat and with canning? Did you grow up around it or? I am fascinated.

Well, my great Gramma Susie always had a large garden and canned. I remember a lot of that, but she never "taught" me really....I guess I watched and absorbed??? My mom says that I just have a lot of Gramma Susie in me :smile:

I just got one of the Ball canning books and went from there. I couldn't bear to live without good tomatoes during the winter.

The game is all from my husband. He's a great teacher.

Edited to add that a lot of the inspiration really did come from reading the Little House books when I was a kid.

Edited by Shelby (log)

Now, there are numerous parts such as the neck and the leg beneath the knee that we deem as too tough to do anything with except for hamburger.

I like the shoulder (I think it's the shoulder? someone use to give it to me, he called it a "chuck") for mincemeat. I think venison makes the best mincemeat. Alas, I no longer have a source.

Love the photos of the break-down.

You know? I've never had mincemeat I don't think.

The shoulder would be perfect for that. While we make bone-in roasts, there isn't a ton of meat on there.

Pheasant Casserole looks outstandingly good, as does Quail Alfredo. I have led a sheltered life!

Ever make gumbo with any of your game birds?

Edited by patti (log)

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.

Pheasant Casserole looks outstandingly good, as does Quail Alfredo. I have led a sheltered life!

No, but you've given me a great suggestion!! I always think of gumbo as in "shrimp".

Canning Jars....

I just found a nice stash of old jars and the zinc/porcelain lids, even a few nice cardboard packages from the lids too.

I guess those aren't quite usable anymore

T

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

No, but you've given me a great suggestion!! I always think of gumbo as in "shrimp".

No. Don't think that way. Chef John Folse does a Death by Gumbo with quail. The best gumbo I've ever eaten was duck and tasso. Think poultry and pork. That's all you need. My personal favorite is chicken & andouille gumbo (smoked chicken, actually). Shrimp are good, and I love them, but they don't take a long time to cook (stock helps in this process so you can cook the gumbo with stock but only add the shrimp at the very end), but you still have the problem of reheating the gumbo without overcooking the shrimp. Can't be done really... to my satisfaction. I do make seafood gumbo, but only for gifts to people who want it. Give me poultry and pork any day for a gumbo, and I'm as happy as a lark! :biggrin:

On the other hand, and forgetting about those little old shrimp, you have a whole world of gumbo possibilities with your fowl and game (yeah, and add a little pork, lol). Your gumbo could be out of this world, and I'd just forget about seafood in it. When you want shrimp, you could make etouffee :))) That's a whole 'nother animal! :raz:

And I know I've said this before, but your blog is outstanding!!! :wub:

Rhonda

Shelby those wonderful green gooseberries you have would be delicious in a fruit compote to serve with any of your game meats. A fruit compote is basically a warm, thick, fruit sauce.

We get fresh green and pink gooseberries up in the Northwest. They are very tangy and tart, so find a compote recipe, say blueberry, and add more sugar to your taste. And one trick I use, if your gooseberries still have the little brown stem attached cook them down first then strain to press out the solids and stems.

Canning Jars....

I just found a nice stash of old jars and the zinc/porcelain lids, even a few nice cardboard packages from the lids too.

I guess those aren't quite usable anymore

T

Well, they may not be usable, but, dang they look awesome with some old marbles in them on a shelf!

No. Don't think that way. Chef John Folse does a Death by Gumbo with quail. The best gumbo I've ever eaten was duck and tasso. Think poultry and pork. That's all you need. My personal favorite is chicken & andouille gumbo (smoked chicken, actually). Shrimp are good, and I love them, but they don't take a long time to cook (stock helps in this process so you can cook the gumbo with stock but only add the shrimp at the very end), but you still have the problem of reheating the gumbo without overcooking the shrimp. Can't be done really... to my satisfaction. I do make seafood gumbo, but only for gifts to people who want it. Give me poultry and pork any day for a gumbo, and I'm as happy as a lark! :biggrin:

On the other hand, and forgetting about those little old shrimp, you have a whole world of gumbo possibilities with your fowl and game (yeah, and add a little pork, lol). Your gumbo could be out of this world, and I'd just forget about seafood in it. When you want shrimp, you could make etouffee :))) That's a whole 'nother animal! :raz:

And I know I've said this before, but your blog is outstanding!!! :wub:

Rhonda

Ok, I've now resolved to make a mixed meat gumbo!

Re: gumbo. Our usual go to is chicken and andouillle but I adore duck, goose, or turkey with the andouille as well. :wub: Loving this blog!

Thank you so so much! I really am looking forward to all of these ideas.

Shelby those wonderful green gooseberries you have would be delicious in a fruit compote to serve with any of your game meats. A fruit compote is basically a warm, thick, fruit sauce.

We get fresh green and pink gooseberries up in the Northwest. They are very tangy and tart, so find a compote recipe, say blueberry, and add more sugar to your taste. And one trick I use, if your gooseberries still have the little brown stem attached cook them down first then strain to press out the solids and stems.

Awesome, David, this is exactly the guidance I need. Thank you.

I'm wanting to do this right now, except that I'm sleepy....

Edited by Shelby (log)

Shelby, I don't recall if you mentioned venison sausage as one of the things y'all make, but that might be good with your game bird gumbo, particularly if you smoke the sausage. Now that wouldn't preclude the addition of a little pork to the gumbo, too! :wub:

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.

In the middle to late 1800's quite a few Germans, Swedes and Czechoslovakians immigrated to Kansas. They all had a heavy influence on cooking. Wilson, KS is the Czech "capitol" of our state and Lindsborg, KS is nicknamed "Little Sweden". Anyway, they all make a kind of yeast dough bread "pocket" filled with meat and cabbage.

I make bierocks/bierochs/runzas quite often.

I "tweak" them to make it taste the way we like. They are very forgiving.

Dough ingredients

Again, please excuse Mr. Lector's feet. Sigh. :rolleyes:

Bierock dough components.jpg

Bierock dough.jpg

Edited by Shelby (log)

Ingredients: Red onion, garlic, cabbage, sauerkraut, tomatoes, shredded cheddar, caraway seed, ground venison, salt, pepper and mustard.

Bierock dough meat.jpg

Saute cabbage, onions, garlic until soft. Add tomatoes and sauerkraut and season to taste.

Cabbage mixture.jpg

Cabbage mixture cooked.jpg

Make sure to cool meat/veggie mix completely before spooning on to dough.

Spoon a tablespoon or so of mixture on to dough and top with shredded cheese.

bierock dough with spoon meat.jpg

Pinch dough around mix. Lay on cookie sheet covered with parchment paper seam side down.

Copy of bierock dough ready to bake.jpg

Bake at 375 degrees for around 20-25 minutes until light brown. Brush with butter after removing from oven.

Copy of finished bierocks.jpg

There are some things I just won't compromise on when it comes to cooking and food.

One is that I must have Velveeta in my macaroni and cheese.

mac and cheese parts.jpg

mac and cheese sauce.jpg

spoon of mac and cheese.jpg

Edited by Shelby (log)

At times it's difficult to access my computer, so, today there may have been a few hours without posting, but, you see that it's not my fault....

P1051546.JPG

Edited by Shelby (log)

There are some things I just won't compromise on when it comes to cooking and food.

mac and cheese parts.jpg

mac and cheese sauce.jpg

Oh, do you put tomatoes in your mac n' cheese? I read about doing that a while back, never got around to it, and then forgot completely about it. Thanks for reminding me that I wanted to try it. You must have a huge field of tomatoes in the summer. I recently tried the Greek mac n' cheese from Saveur that rocked.

I had way too much filling, so I froze the rest. It freezes well, just make sure to drain it after it thaws.

Do you ever freeze the whole pockets? It looks like they would be great for quick breakfasts in the morning.

mac and cheese parts.jpg

mac and cheese sauce.jpg

Oh, do you put tomatoes in your mac n' cheese? I read about doing that a while back, never got around to it, and then forgot completely about it. Thanks for reminding me that I wanted to try it. You must have a huge field of tomatoes in the summer. I recently tried the Greek mac n' cheese from Saveur that rocked.

I had way too much filling, so I froze the rest. It freezes well, just make sure to drain it after it thaws.

Do you ever freeze the whole pockets? It looks like they would be great for quick breakfasts in the morning.

I love tomatoes in mac and cheese. The canned ones are great, but the fresh ones from the garden? Heavenly.

Yes, those freeze really well. I just didn't want to make more dough last night. :biggrin:

Tomatoes in Mac and Cheese is a wonderful thing.

:cool:

Now, if I can just get you on the tomato beer boat. :laugh:

Good morning, everyone and happy Thursday!!!!

The kitchen fairy didn't do the dishes while I slept. :hmmm:

Edited by Shelby (log)

Couple of comments:

I noticed in one of your pictures that you use powdered buttermilk. I use it too as the liquid stuff isn't available where I live. I actually like it as a flavor and I think it works great. But the powder in my can always turns hard. And makes hard balls that are impossible to sift. Does yours do that? Have any solutions?

I am also still in awe of the price of that brisket! I miss America! Was that a sale or the normal price????

That recipe for the pheasant in the slow cooker looked amazing. How long does it cook in there? I don't have a slow cooker actually, but would still like to try that dish!! And looking forward to the goose and noodles!

All in all, I am enjoying your blog immensely. When I lived in the US, I lived in big cities. It has been a real treat reading about how you live and eat! You've created more than a blog, but a snapshot of your life and it's really a pleasure reading it.