• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: Shelby (2011) - From the field to the table. (warning, pi

Shelby

I gotta get this tapatalk thing.....

Ok, torture is over and I'm back :biggrin: . eG, please tell me if I'm blogging too much.... :unsure:

The guy that installed our dishwasher two or three dishwashers ago told me to run citric acid through the empty dishwasher every 6 months or so....I don't know that it helps, but it sure cleans the inside up nicely.

201101030001_01.JPG

201101030002_01.JPG

Wow. Canned bacon. The mind reels at the possibilities....

Posted from my handheld using the Tapatalk app. Want to use eG Forums on your iPhone, Android or Blackberry? Get started at http://egullet.org/tapatalk

Yes! I have to get some to add to my "emergency" stuff (in case of earthquake) which consists of canned ham, canned whole chicken, corned beef, roast beef, chicken, etc.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Wonderful blog so far! Please don't hold back. I don't have your pull out cabinet shelves or updated kitchen in general but I do have two sets of those measuring cups. Can't wait to be formally introduced to your furry friends. I think I caught a glimpse of a kitty and a black dog. And speaking of Hutchinson, I was there once over 25 years ago for a dog show - we were living in a small town south of Olathe at the time.

So, I have a weakness for hand thrown pottery wine goblets/glasses. I'm told they are really difficult to make, thus, they are hard to find. Anyone here have this talent or know someone who does?

201101030001_02.JPG

201101030002_02.JPG

Hello, my Diet Dew sister! It is my caffine of choice, too! Everything is fascinating, Shelby! That is the best of the foodblogs and why I've missed them so much - seeing how folks manage their lives/food/cooking/living. The BBQ 'sandwiches' looked delicious. I often do cornbread waffles served the same way, but I will have to try the fire roasted poblano addition. Jalapenos are too hot for me, but I never thought about poblanos! I am boggling at the thought of what it takes for you to get such gorgeous, interesting meals on the table - processing the meat, shopping once or twice a month, etc. Truly heroic! And I don't know if I've missed it or not, but do you also work out side of your home? How about your husband?

When I would go to Grammy and Grandpa's house, she'd sometimes make me fried mush. My husband is not a mush fan...so I rarely make it. This blog is a great excuse!

Take your corn grits or polenta (I did one cup corn to three cups water) and add a tablespoon or so of butter, pinch of salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, stirring all the time. Reduce heat and cook and stir until thickened.

201101030002_03.JPG

201101030004_01.JPG

I also fried up some bacon sausage.

201101030001_03.JPG

201101030003_01.JPG

Drain..but leave a tad of the good grease and add it to the mush.

201101030005_01.JPG

Pour into a buttered bread pan and put in fridge overnight.

Tomorrow we'll have fried mush together...mmmmmmm...with butter and syrup.

Oh, I had to have a taste now, though.

With a dollop of basil butter.

201101030007.JPG

201101030006.JPG

Wonderful blog so far! Please don't hold back. I don't have your pull out cabinet shelves or updated kitchen in general but I do have two sets of those measuring cups. Can't wait to be formally introduced to your furry friends. I think I caught a glimpse of a kitty and a black dog. And speaking of Hutchinson, I was there once over 25 years ago for a dog show - we were living in a small town south of Olathe at the time.

Oh yes, we have to meet the rest of the family. They are my babies!

Hello, my Diet Dew sister! It is my caffine of choice, too! Everything is fascinating, Shelby! That is the best of the foodblogs and why I've missed them so much - seeing how folks manage their lives/food/cooking/living. The BBQ 'sandwiches' looked delicious. I often do cornbread waffles served the same way, but I will have to try the fire roasted poblano addition. Jalapenos are too hot for me, but I never thought about poblanos! I am boggling at the thought of what it takes for you to get such gorgeous, interesting meals on the table - processing the meat, shopping once or twice a month, etc. Truly heroic! And I don't know if I've missed it or not, but do you also work out side of your home? How about your husband?

I love Poblanos. Just the right spiciness.

Nah, not heroic...I don't have human kids, so I have a lot more time and energy to funnel into what we do here. My husband owns a lumber company that I started working at after school when I was 16. I've worked there ever since! When the economy got so bad, I cut back to 3 days a week because it was either I go, or someone else goes...then the economy got worse, so I don't go in at all. So, that leaves me all the time in the world to be here and cook!! Oh, and my husband goes in 3-4 days a week..depending on the hunting schedule lol.

The blog is terrific and please post all you want, we will read it avidly.

Good Lord, I was also in Hutchinson for a dog show about that same time - I hit shows in Oklahoma, in Kansas and Missouri on my way to the International in Chicago. It was before I moved up here so was prior to '88. Small world, eh?

Thank you everyone for reading!!!

Great blog, Shelby. Glad you found a way to make wild turkeys edible. My husband has gotten a few, and I'm always glad when he gives them away!!

I grew up in ElDorado - how far are you from there?

Edited by Dana (log)

Stop Family Violence

You don't have to convince me about fried grits. I love 'em, in whatever guise they appear.

One of my favorite versions is to place the slices on the griddle, sprinkle generously with granulated maple sugar and then turn them over. The sugar caramelizes on the surface and you have a sort of candy coating that is sooooo good.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Great blog, Shelby. Glad you found a way to make wild turkeys edible. My husband has gotten a few, and I'm always glad when he gives them away!!

I grew up in ElDorado - how far are you from there?

I like them smoked, in soup or in pot pie. The main thing is that you always have to de-skin it.

I think my husband hunts near there...I'm about an hour and a half away.

You don't have to convince me about fried grits. I love 'em, in whatever guise they appear.

One of my favorite versions is to place the slices on the griddle, sprinkle generously with granulated maple sugar and then turn them over. The sugar caramelizes on the surface and you have a sort of candy coating that is sooooo good.

OMG I think you just invented a new food. Since I put bacon sausage in there, I bet the sugar would famously with that!

We like to watch the food fliers to see when bags of chicken quarters go on sale. It's a great buy when they are around 58 cents a pound. I make chicken broth out of them and save the de-boned chicken in the freezer for later uses such as enchiladas, chicken salad etc. The broth is a heck of a lot cheaper than buying the canned from the store..and it tastes better, too. I'm almost out of broth, so I've started a new batch. I have two crock pots going and a big pot on the stove.

201101030001.JPG

201101030004.JPG

201101030003.JPG

201101030005.JPG

My husband had rat-holed a couple jars of tomato juice!!!! So, while getting the chicken broth going, we had a red beer. Bud Light is the only beer to mix with tomato juice, in my humble opinion.

201101030002.JPG

Remember the turkey parts that we didn't smoke yesterday? Well, here they are.

We'll cook these so we can de-bone and use for turkey pot pie tonight.

201101030001_01.JPG

Here are the heart, liver and gizzard from the turkey. Forgot to show you yesterday. I figure we'll use these to make a gravy for the mashed 'taters tonight unless you guys have any better ideas?

201101030002_01.JPG

So, I have a weakness for hand thrown pottery wine goblets/glasses. I'm told they are really difficult to make, thus, they are hard to find. Anyone here have this talent or know someone who does?

Love the blog so far, reminds me a lot of how my Aunt and Uncle in rural Missouri live...minus all the good food ;)

The goblets are kinda hard to make according to my mother, an accomplished potter. She made a whole set for my wedding 20 years ago.

IMAG0597.jpg

The one on the right is cermic, she only made two for my wife and I. The one on the left is regular clay glazed white, she made a bunch of those for the members of the bridal party. We had them at the head table to drink our wine out of during the reception, that was pretty cool. I'm spoiled I guess, we have tons of bowls and plates and such that didn't pass muster.

I have simple tastes. I am always satisfied with the best - Oscar Wilde

The Easy Bohemian

Love the blog so far, reminds me a lot of how my Aunt and Uncle in rural Missouri live...minus all the good food ;)

The goblets are kinda hard to make according to my mother, an accomplished potter. She made a whole set for my wedding 20 years ago.

IMAG0597.jpg

The one on the right is cermic, she only made two for my wife and I. The one on the left is regular clay glazed white, she made a bunch of those for the members of the bridal party. We had them at the head table to drink our wine out of during the reception, that was pretty cool. I'm spoiled I guess, we have tons of bowls and plates and such that didn't pass muster.

WOW!!! She has quite a talent!!! That is SO cool.

Does she, by chance, have a website that she sells on??

We are big wine drinkers.

Wait, that sounds wrong.

We like to drink wine.

Is that a Canadian goose? Do you actually have to hunt them? Here they are pervasive they have practically set up residence in every pond, park and lake. To get one would be easy peazy - although probably not very much smiled upon by local law enforcement :)

What's your M.O. for getting the feathers off a Canada Goose?

He looks pretty lean -- did you poach him?

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Is that a Canadian goose? Do you actually have to hunt them? Here they are pervasive they have practically set up residence in every pond, park and lake. To get one would be easy peazy - although probably not very much smiled upon by local law enforcement :)

Yes, it's a Canadian. And, yes, we have to hunt them. In the big city, they are EVERYWHERE, but where we have land to hunt, they are few and far between due to little rainfall which means dry lakes and ponds.

What's your M.O. for getting the feathers off a Canada Goose?

He looks pretty lean -- did you poach him?

He is lean! No, my husband hand plucked this one. We have a contraption like a big fan that plucks the feathers for you, but, since he didn't have many to do, he did this one by hand.

Phew, it was a big afternoon.

Sorry so late in posting dinner.

Turkey pot pie and mashed 'taters

Turkey bones cooking down

201101030002_02.JPG

Shredded after cooled

201101030006.JPG

Veggies for pie

201101030005_01.JPG

Pie insides

201101030012.JPG

Pie crust--didn't I do good??

201101030008.JPG

201101030014.JPG

201101030015.JPG

:hmmm: I lied...

201101030007.JPG

I can't make a pie crust to save my life!

201101030017.JPG

Canadian geese - They've actually set up shop at a little lake in the middle of Oakland for as long as I can remember and never leave, poop everywhere!

Man that all looks good, haven't had a homemade pot pie in forever... :wub:

Sleep, bike, cook, feed, repeat...

Chef Facebook HQ Menlo Park, CA

My eGullet Foodblog

And the plated version:

201101030022.JPG

*That* looks amazing ! I have 1/2 a turkey breast & 2 drumsticks in my freezer waiting to be roasted later this winter. THAT will be leftovers, and I'd never thought to make mashed potatoes with it, but well, yeah. That just totally works...

ETA----ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGH (as Charlie Brown would say), still haven't got that quote with picture thing down. Next time, yeah, next time.

Edited by Pierogi (log)

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

You know, what I really need is a primer on pie crust. I love meat pies - they're pretty much the only time I make pie, actually - but I can never get the crust right. Shelby, I totally understand your desire to use boxed crust - but I can't even get those to work!

Every recipe I see always seems to call for far to little water for me to bring the pastry together. And most recipes warn direly of using too much water, so I'm afraid to add more. Instead of a smooth, well integrated piece of pastry like you've rolled out above, I get this sad little bumpy disk that's breaking apart at the edges like a coral atoll. I've tried rolling it out in wax paper; I've tried the twenty minute rest in the fridge. Help a girl out - how did you do that?

We have a contraption like a big fan that plucks the feathers for you

I would love to see a photo if possible.

Do you plunge the bird in hot water first? When I'm at the inlaws' farm I use a rotating drum with dozens of 4" rubber fingers on the outside. It takes only a minute for me to pluck a medium chicken with this gizmo.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack