• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

3 weeks in Japan

Chufi

Twenty years in Japan, and lots of oyster eating (mostly in Tokyo), and that's my conclusion. De gustibus non est etc.. I would certainly only use Hiroshima oysters (whose flavour raw, here, I find tends to the muddy) in kaki fry.

Back in the go-go 90's I sat in an oyster bar in SF and compared a half-dozen oysters, side by side, from 6 different places. Miyagi Bay and Prince Edward Island are the two that stick in my mind as having been the tastiest, even there.

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

Thanks,

I will most certainly give Miyagi Bay oysters a try when I have a chance.

I am a bit disconnected with the Tokyo food scene since as I am sure you know, Hiroshima Prefecture is pretty far. Where would be a good place to enjoy these oysters?

@rarerollingobject Any Kagoshima suggestions? I will be there during Golden Week.

My blog about food in Japan

Foodie Topography

www.foodietopography.com

@rarerollingobject Any Kagoshima suggestions? I will be there during Golden Week.

It's worth seeking out Satsuma cuisine type stuff in Kagoshima. Apart from the inevitable fishcakes, they also do lots of braised melting pork belly (kakuni). I remember (sort of) being intoxicated a lot, on what I think was shochu rather than sake, since it's even more like firewater in Kyushu. Two places I tried were 'Satsuma Ebisu' and a yakiniku place south of the city centre called, oddly, 'Juan'. I used this link to ID places at the time.

I am a bit disconnected with the Tokyo food scene since as I am sure you know, Hiroshima Prefecture is pretty far. Where would be a good place to enjoy these oysters?

I didn't realise you were based in Hiroshima. There is a chain of oyster restaurants in Tokyo called 'Jackpot' - branches in Shinjuku and Shinagawa, amongst others. They have a good international selection, and a good pasta & pizza menu too, but the oysters aren't cheap at JPY400-JPY700 each. Supermarkets are your friend, and as I'm sure you know the best season for oysters is winter.

Edited by Blether (log)

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

If you have time to go to Hokkaido, I would highly recommend Hakodate. A very charming city that is noted for seafood, especially squid. Hokkaido in general is noted for, among other foods, seafood, milk, and potatoes.

ANA does have discounted domestic fares if you book in advance. Might be worth your while if you travel longer distances.