• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Large knife guard source?

Slamdunkpro

There's a pretty good selection at Broadway Panhandler--Messermeister and a couple of other brands. I brought in my knife roll and replaced all of mine at once around a year ago, but my longest is a 12" chef's knife, so I don't know off hand if they have a 14". They might not list them on their website, but you could call, and they could tell you if they had one that size.

The Messermeister guards come in 14". If you can't find them locally, a quick Google finds them on surlatable.com and knifemerchant.com for about $4 each.

Thanks, unfortunately the only 14" guard that Messermeister makes is for a slicer and it's too thin (narrow?) to accommodate the curvature of either the cimeter or the butcher blade. The same problem exists with the plastic file binder clips. What I need is a guard that is as tall (wide?) as a chef's knife guard but 14 inches long - around 2.5" x 14".

The Messermeister guards come in 14". If you can't find them locally, a quick Google finds them on surlatable.com and knifemerchant.com for about $4 each.

Thanks, unfortunately the only 14" guard that Messermeister makes is for a slicer and it's too thin (narrow?) to accommodate the curvature of either the cimeter or the butcher blade. The same problem exists with the plastic file binder clips. What I need is a guard that is as tall (wide?) as a chef's knife guard but 14 inches long - around 2.5" x 14".

You're right, my 14" guard is for a slicer and it's only about 1" deep.

OK, how about this for a simple solution: there's no rule that says you can't use 2 shorter chef's knife guards, like a 6" and an 8", on the same knife.

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.