• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Cocktails/Bar in a Restaurant

weinoo

It's always nice, but not always possible, to get a great cocktail in a restaurant. And I'm not talking about just a well made Martini or Manhattan before dinner - I mean the whole shebang. A real restaurant that also happens to have a great bar; knowledgeable bartenders, a broad selection of booze to choose from, properly made drinks, innovative cocktails and a customer's ability to order food that is as good as the diners sitting in the restaurant proper.

The late, lamented Taylor immediately comes to mind...it was the perfect marriage - well, until it dissolved. 11 Madison Park, The Modern and Gramercy Tavern from the Danny Meyer empire are no slouches. Ma Peche has the cocktail science down - though I don't know if it has a "real" bar as I'm describing above.

And just the other night, for the first time in many months, my wife and I stopped back at 'inoteca vino, cucina e liquori bar. And you know what? It fit the bill perfectly; so different than downtown, it's the classier "uptown" cousin.

It's not really a surprise that I like the place as it does have the Denton touch and I've always been a fan of their service (even as hectic as it can be downtown at 'inoteca). But while I've always liked the food, what really caught our attention was sitting at the bar and enjoying our cocktails while chatting with the bartenders - as into their craft as the people behind the stick at D & C or PDT. We moved on to eat in the restaurant, but for a great bar in a restaurant with good grub, it makes the list.

Others, please?

Comp Disclosure: 2 Glasses of sparkling wine before dinner.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Del Posto. Regardless of whatever differences of opinion there may be about the food, it's pretty tough to find many negatives in their current cocktail program. Right up there with many cocktail destinations, and a good combo of classic and newfangled offerings.

Also, I would nominate Peels, Vandaag, Locanda Verde, Yerba Buena, and Ssam Bar (with the caveat that if you can't order just drinks and not food unless it's late night service.)

Edited by kathryn (log)
"I'll put anything in my mouth twice." -- Ulterior Epicure

Rye (the cocktails are better than the food)

I don't know that I'd ever think of going to Rye just to eat. What's the food like?

Also, I would nominate Peels, Vandaag, Locanda Verde, Yerba Buena, and Ssam Bar (with the caveat that if you can't order just drinks and not food unless it's late night service.)

I don't know that I'd ever think of going to Ssam just to drink...it's a counter.

Whereas, all the others named, one could do either and be very happy.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Ssam Bar for drinks is very laid back and chill, especially on a weekday after midnight. And you can still get pork buns. A worthy alternative if you're waiting for a table elsewhere, perhaps.

"I'll put anything in my mouth twice." -- Ulterior Epicure

• 2 months later...