• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Resolutions for 2011

wow! do you have the specific book in mind already? i'd like to know more about this ...

this was supposed to be in response to FAITH's post about mediaeval arab cooking ...

corax

I will eat_________________ No problem with this really. I eat anything besides snakes (and worms, etc.) and coconut. I use coconut when cooking for other people, but I don't eat it.

I will make_______________ I want to make that Italian specialty that uses a pigs foot. The whole foot. It's cooked and then stuffed, wrapped in caul fat, and then baked. I don't remember the name of it, but someone on Egullet did a pictorial of the recipe, and it's saved somewhere in my "must make" file.

I will learn_______________ how to bake good bread. I've been attempting it and have had some success, but it's touch and go. I never know if it will be good or not. I've been making my own sourdough starter for the past few weeks (just baked the first actual breads today -- nothing to brag about), but I will keep moving forward. Here is today's attempt. Pitiful. Just pitiful. And I regret that I didn't photo-document the one that looked like a little turtle with its "head" slipping out of the crust. :huh:

sourdough loaves Jan 2011.jpg

I will read________________ the entire Bible from front to back. I've read most of it, but not all of it. Will also try to eat Biblical foods from olives to dates to whatever and keep learning about food history. To truly understand a culture, understand what the people eat. It's a topic that never ceases to interest and amaze me.

Rhonda

I will eat... more great cheese to learn how it should taste.

I will make... food for a larger audience than just my friends. I've got an opportunity to collaborate on an underground dinner and it's the biggest cooking adventure I've ever attempted.

I will learn... to make jelly gel. Although those syrups make some mighty fine cocktails. And I'll learn to bake gluten free, just to see what can be done.

I will read... more egullet forums on troubleshooting. Thanks for the help fixing my caramels.

Oh and one more thing...I'll learn how to make one of my photos into my avatar. So far I can't make that work:0

Happy New Year!

www.farmandforage.wordpress.com

I will cook a whole fish

Something I have wanted to do. Something I was kinda "scared" to do. But after participating in a fish cooked in a salt dome process, I think I can tackle it on my own at home.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

I will cook a whole fish

Something I have wanted to do. Something I was kinda "scared" to do. But after participating in a fish cooked in a salt dome process, I think I can tackle it on my own at home.

My first whole fish was a large trout cooked in a salt crust and it was lovely (way back before you were born in the 70's...) Definitely give it a go.

I will eat foie gras, but only if someone else pays for it. I will not make my own and I will continue to feel very bad about how it is made. It's creepy.

I will learn how to make biscuits. I will learn to make Alton Brown's graham crackers without relying on my husband to do it for me. I will continue to let him do everything else that involves flour.

I will eat more fresh sardines, even though I have to go out of my way to buy them.

I will not be intimidated by the Chinese fishmonger who tries to sell me dead crabs or crabs with missing claws.

I will make enough marmalade this year so that I can give some away instead of treating every jar like precious jewels.

I will continue to hate tripe.

I will try more new recipes.

I will cook a whole fish

My first whole fish was a large trout cooked in a salt crust and it was lovely (way back before you were born in the 70's...) Definitely give it a go.

Thank you for the words of encouragement. I am thinking of doing a branzino. I'll be cooking for one.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"