• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sous Vide: Recipes, Techniques & Equipment (Part 8)

e_monster

Great to know, thanks! Basting in butter sounds like a great step, I'll try that next. I have tried searing them in butter but it burns too easily.

They suggest to stop basting when the butter stops foaming,which is basically when the water is gone and the temp of the butter temperature will shoot up. You can go a little further then this, but you might get browned butter, which is a nice flavour but may or may not be what is desired.

Great to know, thanks! Basting in butter sounds like a great step, I'll try that next. I have tried searing them in butter but it burns too easily. But I love the taste of butter and it should also promote the maillard reactions that brown the scallops - I once tried dusting the chilled scallops in powdered milk before searing them to see if that helped them caramelise (after seeing Heston do it with chicken wings) but it didn't seem to do much. Basting in butter after they've been seared sounds like the best of all worlds...

I learned to press them very gently into superfine sugar before browning. Since creating the Maillard effect give them a "sweeter" taste, it doesn't make a difference in taste, of, if it does, it just makes it better.

Then brown/sear in clarified butter or ghee, ands baste with the same. I promise, these will be the best scallops you've ever had. In fact, you'll probably need to buy more than usual because they're so good!

[Moderator note: This topic continues here, Sous Vide: Recipes, Techniques & Equipment (Part 9)]

Edited by Mjx
Moderator note added. (log)