• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kenwood Standing Mixer KMC 510

Big Joe the Pro

Hi, I'm planning to buy a Kenwood Premiere Chef Standing Mixer, KMC 510. I was wondering if anyone had any opinions and/or experiences with it that they'd like to share?

This is the web page:

http://www.kenwoodworld.com/en-ae/Products/Kitchen-Machines/Chef-and-Major/KMC510/

I'm a KitchenAid guy but they're awful spendy here in China. I noticed this Kenwood at a reputable store here this morning, 'on sale' for a little over US$ 300, whereas a Pro KitchenAid would be about US$ 500. The unit has great reviews on Amazon UK but I'm just not so familiar with Kenwood.

One thing that has me a little nervous is that I'm going to be pushing the weight limit, but within the manufacturer's specs. A nice thing about the unit is that they're are lots of accessories for it whereas the KA is somewhat limited (I can get the ice cream bowl, for example!).

Thanks in advance!

Maybe I would have more friends if I didn't eat so much garlic?

We've used Kenwoods for many years and can highly recommend them. They are very heavy duty and will stand up to a lot of hard use.

We much prefer them to KA.

The meat grinder/sausage stuffer attachment is especially useful.

Buy with confidence; they're great!

I own the DeLonghi 7qt version which was sold in the US a few years back. I like it, it has worked well. I particularly like the continuous juicer,, and slicer shredder attachments because you can just keep cranking out product with them for hours.

My favorite mixer add-on purchase is a second, or third, bowl because then you can make separated foaming method cakes with ease -as well as other 2-bowl products. My second choice would be an additional whip because they are useful and the item most likely to break in the future. (mine hasn't broken, but, I've seen this situation with other people's Hobarts)

I'm extremely happy with both my 7L and 5L versions. The 5L is about 25 years old, the 7L 10. A second bowl is a godsend. I love the meat grinder because it's all-metal and stays cold if you freeze it before grinding.

I would suggest getting one of the BeaterBlade/Flexiblade/squeegee-type flat beaters for it - between the adjustable spacing between the beater and the bowl and one of these third-party beaters,I can make *anything* emulsify without unmixed goo on the bottom of the bowl.

E

We've used Kenwoods for many years and can highly recommend them. They are very heavy duty and will stand up to a lot of hard use.

We much prefer them to KA.

I'd second that. I've used Kenwoods and KitchenAids in commercial and home settings. Kenwood is the tougher machine.

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, thanks for the replies. I got it a awhile back and and really happy with it so far. It's the smallest (aka cheapest, gotta consider that here as there's a hefty import tax) full-sized* mixer that they make but it kneads up the biggest breads that I bake (America's Test Kitchen's Country Loaf and Deli-style Rye) with ease. Scored some really cool attachments too. Haven't had time to use them all yet but all seem to be very solid and of the highest quality.

One problem; part of the blender rotor base was chipped off (at the factory apparently as the part wasn't in the pristine box). There's a very helpful woman at the store (Metro) here who's been helping me to get a replacement. Anyway, a very useful and professional addition to my home kitchen.

* = I use the word 'full-sized' as they seem to sell smaller units that look more like hand-held mixers on solid bases. I've not actually seen these units for sale here.

Cook-Equip-14.jpg

Maybe I would have more friends if I didn't eat so much garlic?