• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Charles Phan Cookbook

BadRabbit

We have the same literary agent (how pretentious does that sound! You are welcome!) and his book is due Fall 2012. I think it's pretty typical- you get a year to write if you're lucky.

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

If you want to start with something good while you wait for the book, he has shared the Shaking Beef recipe on line.

Yeah his clay pot carmelized chicken is available too and is a staple in my house. All of his recipes I've found online seem to be easily reproducable at home which is why I am eagerly awaiting the book.

I live in Alabama so I don't get to the Slanted Door often but it is my wife's favorite restaurant anywhere.

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

Update: Amazon is now preselling. It's not coming out until September though.

http://www.amazon.com/Vietnamese-Home-Cooking-Charles-Phan/dp/1607740532

Book is now available. Any updates from those who own it?

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I bought it as an e-book....gorgeous photos, but I was kinda underwhelmed by the recipes. Maybe I was expecting too much....or maybe I already have half of shelf of Vietnamese & Viet-inspired cookbooks, so I really didn't need another one. But it is very pretty in e-form.

I bought it as an e-book....gorgeous photos, but I was kinda underwhelmed by the recipes. Maybe I was expecting too much....or maybe I already have half of shelf of Vietnamese & Viet-inspired cookbooks, so I really didn't need another one. But it is very pretty in e-form.

KInd of agree. The recipes I've made have turned out well, but they're either fairly standard or fusion-y. But it's a beautiful book, and if you don't have a bunch of Viet stuff already, it's an interesting introduction.

KInd of agree. The recipes I've made have turned out well, but they're either fairly standard or fusion-y. But it's a beautiful book, and if you don't have a bunch of Viet stuff already, it's an interesting introduction.

Thanks. I see Andrea Nguyen doesn't give it a very enthusiastic review. Nice to see it being praised in e-form though. Really do need to make use of my existing Vietnamese books. But................

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog