• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Sign in to follow this  
BadRabbit

Charles Phan Cookbook

I saw several articles back in the summer that Phan was finally writing a Slanted Door cookbook. Anybody know when this will be released? I've Googled to no avail.

We have the same literary agent (how pretentious does that sound! You are welcome!) and his book is due Fall 2012. I think it's pretty typical- you get a year to write if you're lucky.

If you want to start with something good while you wait for the book, he has shared the Shaking Beef recipe on line.

If you want to start with something good while you wait for the book, he has shared the Shaking Beef recipe on line.

Yeah his clay pot carmelized chicken is available too and is a staple in my house. All of his recipes I've found online seem to be easily reproducable at home which is why I am eagerly awaiting the book.

I live in Alabama so I don't get to the Slanted Door often but it is my wife's favorite restaurant anywhere.

I have it. I haven't cooked out of it yet, but it was a joy to read and look at.

MelissaH

I bought it as an e-book....gorgeous photos, but I was kinda underwhelmed by the recipes. Maybe I was expecting too much....or maybe I already have half of shelf of Vietnamese & Viet-inspired cookbooks, so I really didn't need another one. But it is very pretty in e-form.

I bought it as an e-book....gorgeous photos, but I was kinda underwhelmed by the recipes. Maybe I was expecting too much....or maybe I already have half of shelf of Vietnamese & Viet-inspired cookbooks, so I really didn't need another one. But it is very pretty in e-form.

KInd of agree. The recipes I've made have turned out well, but they're either fairly standard or fusion-y. But it's a beautiful book, and if you don't have a bunch of Viet stuff already, it's an interesting introduction.

KInd of agree. The recipes I've made have turned out well, but they're either fairly standard or fusion-y. But it's a beautiful book, and if you don't have a bunch of Viet stuff already, it's an interesting introduction.

Thanks. I see Andrea Nguyen doesn't give it a very enthusiastic review. Nice to see it being praised in e-form though. Really do need to make use of my existing Vietnamese books. But................

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By boilsover
      Solid intermediate cook, here.  Not especially intimidated by elaborate preps.  But I'm new to SV, and would like a recommendation for a cookbook for guidance and exploration.

I was thinking of Tom Keller's Under Pressure, but I'm wondering if the preps he includes may not be the most generally useful.  What do you all like, and why?

Thanks!
    • By Chris Hennes
      On Nov. 7, 2017, Modernist Bread will finally arrive on my doorstep. Having preordered it literally the first day it was available, to say I'm excited about this book is a bit of an understatement. The team at The Cooking Lab have been gracious enough to give @Dave the Cook and me early electronic access to the book and so I've spent the last week pouring over it. I'm just going to start with a few initial comments here (it's 2600 pages long, so a full review is going to take some time, and require a bunch of baking!). Dave and I would also be happy to answer any questions you've got.

One of the main things I've noticed about this book is a change in tone from the original Modernist Cuisine. It comes across as less "everything you know is wrong" and more "eighty bazillion other bakers have contributed to this knowledge and here's our synthesis of it." I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that Myhrvold and company are now the most experienced bread-bakers in the world. Not necessarily in terms of the number of identical loaves they've produced, but in the shear number of different recipes and techniques they've tried and the care with which they've analyzed the results. These volumes are a distillation of 100,000 years of human breadmaking experience, topped off with a dose of the Modernist ethos of taking what we know to the next level.

The recipes include weight, volume, and baker's percentages, and almost all of them can be made by both a home baker and someone baking in a commercial facility. The home baker might need to compromise on shape (e.g. you can't fit a full-length baguette in most home ovens) but the book provides clear instructions for both the amateur and professional. The recipes are almost entirely concentrated in volumes 4 and 5, with very few in the other volumes (in contrast to Modernist Cuisine, where there were many recipes scattered throughout). I can't wait for the physical volumes to arrive so that I can have multiple volumes open at once, the recipes cross-reference techniques taught earlier quite frequently.
    • By Chris Hennes
      I just got a copy of Grace Young's "Stir-Frying to the Sky's Edge"—I enjoyed cooking from "Breath of a Wok" and wanted to continue on that path. Does anyone else have this book? Have you cooked anything from it?

Here was dinner tonight:

Spicy Dry-Fried Beef (p. 70)

I undercooked the beef just a bit due to a waning propane supply (I use an outdoor propane-powered wok burner), but there's nothing to complain about here. It's a relatively mild dish that lets the flavors of the ingredients (and the wok) speak. Overall I liked it, at will probably make it again (hopefully with a full tank of gas).

• By CanadianSportsman
      Greetings,

I've cooked several recipes from Keller's "Bouchon" the last couple of weeks, and have loved them all! At the moment (as in right this minute) I'm making the boeuf Bourguignon, and am a little confused about the red wine reduction. After reducing the wine, herbs, and veg for nearly an hour now, I'm nowhere near the consistancy of a glaze that Keller specifies. In fact, it looks mostly like the veg is on the receiving end of most of it. Is this how the recipe is meant to be? Can anybody tell me what kind of yield is expected? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you, kindly. 
    • By Paul Fink
      This unfortunately titled book changed my life. I always enjoyed cooking and idealized Julia Child &
      Jacque Pepin. But I was a typical home cook. I would see a recipe and try to duplicate it little understanding about what I was doing.

Cooking the Nouvelle Cuisine in America talked about a philosophy of cooking. It showed me that there is more depth to cooking. A history. A philosophy.
      The recipes are very approachable and you can make them on a budget from grocery store ingredients. I read it as a grad student in Oregon, in the late 80's I had access to lots of fresh ingredients. And some very nice wines, cheap! I was suppose to be studying physics but I end up learning more about wine & cooking.