• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Parker house rolls

ChefCrash

Someone sent me a free copy of November's Saveur. Page 60 featured a recipe for Parker House rolls as served at Colicchio & Sons. I decided to make them for Christmas dinner.

I though they were quick/simple to make and added the fresh baked bread aroma to the house.

When I went to get a link for yous all at Saveur.. Colicchio & Sons' Paker House rolls, I noticed the mostly bad reviews of the recipe.

This is how I made them. I doubled the recipe and made it in my food processor.

I used dark corn syrup instead of malt syrup.

Bulk rise 1 hour at 90F in the oven.

Divided and rolled in to 32 golf ball sized er..balls.

Covered in cellophane and let rice for 1 hour.

Baked @ 325F convection 25 minutes.

I brushed the rolls with clarified butter after baking, then sprinkled with kosher salt.

Here before the second rise

PC254429.jpg

I thought they were pretty good. I'd like to try them with malt syrup when I can find some.

PC254533.jpg

PC254533.jpg

Barley malt syrup

When I was into bread-baking, I used to use it for rye and whole wheat.

Those are some good-looking rolls, CC. You probably can find malt syrup at a well-stocked health food store, or maybe even a Meijer. There's always mail order, of course.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Barley malt syrup

Those are some good-looking rolls, CC. You probably can find malt syrup at a well-stocked health food store, or maybe even a Meijer. There's always mail order, of course.

Thanks Alex, Meijer has a "Dairy Malt" product didn't think it's the same. But thanks for the health food store idea:)

Barley malt syrup

Thanks Alex, Meijer has a "Dairy Malt" product didn't think it's the same. But thanks for the health food store idea:)

Dairy Malt, or malted milk, is a mixture of dry malt extract, flour, and dried milk. Great in a milkshake, but not so much in your rolls. As another mentioned, it can be found at any homebrewing supply store. You will want the light DME. The darker grades have specialty grains like crystal, amber, or roasted malts in the mix. While you are there, take the plunge and buy a home brewing kit. Its a great hobby.

Edens brand also sells a malt syrup in most natural/health food stores, typically by the sugars.

Dan

Dan

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

Diastatic malt breaks down some of the starch in flour which can then be consumed by yeast, thus helping the yeast to grow and multiply, and, reducing the ratio of starch to gluten in the product. It is helpful in breads with long fermentation periods. Non-diastatic malt is primarily added to baked goods for flavor.

Thanks Pam, malt syrup is condensed wort (the stuff that becomes beer when fermented). Can be found at any beer brewing supply. I didn't have any.

Oh and.. Linda? May I call you Pam?:)

Please, I take it as a compliment when members confuse me with Pam!