• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Who's Making Spaetzle Now?

weinoo

i have john's grandmother's recipe that i had to transcribe while she showed me how to do it. she came to america in the early 1920's from Schweisheim, Germany and had a diploma from a cooking school there.

she only used water and would quickly shave the dough off of her cutting board into the water by dipping her knife in the boiling water. the only other person i have seen do this is a german chef from philadelphia who cooks at one of the historical taverns there - sorry can't remember his name.

Walt Staib - City Tavern

A German housewife with rather primitive equipment shows how it should be done. Her explanations are in German, but not essential, I think - and not every German-speaker will be able to follow her easily either.

Charles Milton Ling

Vienna, Austria

We use the recipe from the Time Life Foods of the World series: 3 c APF; 1 teaspoon salt; 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg; 4 eggs; 1 cup milk

We like it because it produces a fairly firm noodle.

This is my go to recipe. I have used it since I got the book in the early 70s.