Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

rebgold

Meltaways

Recommended Posts

23 minutes ago, RobertM said:

It would be far more expensive, but, wouldn’t coca butter work as well?  

 

No, if the meltaways are chocolate-based, they need a different fat to soften the cocoa butter that's already in there.  Coconut oil, nut oils, clarified butter, etc, will all have a softening effect, making the candy melt in the mouth faster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

I suspect ghee or butter oil would work reasonably well - make a tiny test batch.

 

Mixed up a 100 gram batch and ghee does work nicely from a texture standpoint. I used the EZTemper silk and meant to add about 2% or so, but my scale has trouble with such tiny measurements so I likely went over. The sun butter itself is a bit grainy compared to the Jif I usually use in the PB version, so that comes through a bit - but not offensively so. The flavor seemed a bit flat; I added a bit of salt and that improved things some. No one is going to mistake them for the original, but they’re not going to necessitate an EpiPen or a trip to the ER for my sweet little Violet, so I’d consider them a success.

 

 

 

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, patris said:

 

Mixed up a 100 gram batch and ghee does work nicely from a texture standpoint. I used the EZTemper silk and meant to add about 2% or so, but my scale has trouble with such tiny measurements so I likely went over. The sun butter itself is a bit grainy compared to the Jif I usually use in the PB version, so that comes through a bit - but not offensively so. The flavor seemed a bit flat; I added a bit of salt and that improved things some. No one is going to mistake them for the original, but they’re not going to necessitate an EpiPen or a trip to the ER for my sweet little Violet, so I’d consider them a success.

 

 

 

 

It's always a good day when you don't end up in the ER!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are we using regular off-the-shelf whatever's at the grocery store coconut oil for meltaways or tracking down the deodorized stuff? I've wanted to try them for a long time but wasn't sure if the stuff at the store was going to make them taste like coconut mint or coconut peanut butter meltaways.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

Are we using regular off-the-shelf whatever's at the grocery store coconut oil for meltaways or tracking down the deodorized stuff? I've wanted to try them for a long time but wasn't sure if the stuff at the store was going to make them taste like coconut mint or coconut peanut butter meltaways.

Somewhat deodorized is best.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Somewhat deodorized is best.

 

 


I suspected that would be the case but I've never used any type of coconut oil for anything so I wasn't sure how strong the regular stuff is. I'll check the store again to be sure because stuff changes there all the time and I haven't looked recently but this will probably have to wait until my next amazon order.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Tri2Cook said:


I suspected that would be the case but I've never used any type of coconut oil for anything so I wasn't sure how strong the regular stuff is. I'll check the store again to be sure because stuff changes there all the time and I haven't looked recently but this will probably have to wait until my next amazon order.

It really does seem to differ between brands. I have a big block of hydrogenated deodorized oil that I got from Bunge a while back - totally neutral flavor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Kerry Beal said:

It really does seem to differ between brands. I have a big block of hydrogenated deodorized oil that I got from Bunge a while back - totally neutral flavor.


They sell one on amazon that's no more expensive than the regular stuff at the local store with free shipping so it should be easy to get. It wasn't something I planned to have done before Christmas anyway but I'll check at the store again first just to make sure I don't order it for no reason. Do these wind up being similar to icy squares in texture?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Tri2Cook said:


They sell one on amazon that's no more expensive than the regular stuff at the local store with free shipping so it should be easy to get. It wasn't something I planned to have done before Christmas anyway but I'll check at the store again first just to make sure I don't order it for no reason. Do these wind up being similar to icy squares in texture?

Yup - icy squares are meltaways.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Tri2Cook said:

Are we using regular off-the-shelf whatever's at the grocery store coconut oil for meltaways or tracking down the deodorized stuff? I've wanted to try them for a long time but wasn't sure if the stuff at the store was going to make them taste like coconut mint or coconut peanut butter meltaways.

I bought a big bucket of coconut oil from Costco. It was deodorized and worked perfectly for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, dhardy123 said:

I bought a big bucket of coconut oil from Costco. It was deodorized and worked perfectly for me.

Hmmm.  The coconut oil I saw at Costco was unrefined.  I need to look again I guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bentley said:

Hmmm.  The coconut oil I saw at Costco was unrefined.  I need to look again I guess.

Might be the Canadian Costco vs the US (or even regional within Canada or the US).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks everybody. I don't need a large amount, at least not for now, I just needed to verify that I should use the deodorized stuff. The ~400 gram jars I can order from amazon will be plenty to get started with if there's none at the local store.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tri2Cook said:

Thanks everybody. I don't need a large amount, at least not for now, I just needed to verify that I should use the deodorized stuff. The ~400 gram jars I can order from amazon will be plenty to get started with if there's none at the local store.

 

Chiming in late, but definitely can verify that the refined/deodorized stuff is what you want. Wasted a whole batch of peanut butters with unrefined stuff from Trader Joe’s because I didn’t taste or smell it first. Not a terrible flavor, but not right either.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How difficult are these to handle if you don't coat them in powdered sugar? With the commercial versions, you have to go from wrapper to mouth without much hesitation or you get messy fingers but it's doable. Is it the same with these or do they really need that coating? I'd like to pipe it in shells but I have a feeling that would spoil the meltaway effect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

How difficult are these to handle if you don't coat them in powdered sugar? With the commercial versions, you have to go from wrapper to mouth without much hesitation or you get messy fingers but it's doable. Is it the same with these or do they really need that coating? I'd like to pipe it in shells but I have a feeling that would spoil the meltaway effect.

They do tend to melt when they get touched - so I do either the powdered sugar or I dip them. Last batch I made I actually made some bar molds and just piped the meltaway into it after I cooled to around 28º C and added 1% EZtemper silk. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

How difficult are these to handle if you don't coat them in powdered sugar? With the commercial versions, you have to go from wrapper to mouth without much hesitation or you get messy fingers but it's doable. Is it the same with these or do they really need that coating? I'd like to pipe it in shells but I have a feeling that would spoil the meltaway effect.

I piped passionfruit meltaways into shelled molds at our last eGullet chocolate workshop in Vegas. Really like them -- even though there is a chocolate shell around the filling. I recommend giving it a try when you have the time. Important note -- the only way that I have successfully piped meltaways is to use the EZtemper silk. There may be another way but if you have the silk, it makes the process super easy.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

They do tend to melt when they get touched - so I do either the powdered sugar or I dip them. Last batch I made I actually made some bar molds and just piped the meltaway into it after I cooled to around 28º C and added 1% EZtemper silk. 

 

8 hours ago, curls said:

I piped passionfruit meltaways into shelled molds at our last eGullet chocolate workshop in Vegas. Really like them -- even though there is a chocolate shell around the filling. I recommend giving it a try when you have the time. Important note -- the only way that I have successfully piped meltaways is to use the EZtemper silk. There may be another way but if you have the silk, it makes the process super easy.


Thanks! I was going to use the EZtemper silk whether I shell them or not so I'll just shoot some of it in a couple shells before I frame the rest and see how I like the result. I mainly just asked in case it was an already known bad idea but since that's not the case... a testing we will go. As soon as I get my coconut oil, that is.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Tri2Cook said:

 


Thanks! I was going to use the EZtemper silk whether I shell them or not so I'll just shoot some of it in a couple shells before I frame the rest and see how I like the result. I mainly just asked in case it was an already known bad idea but since that's not the case... a testing we will go. As soon as I get my coconut oil, that is.

Use the silk for the framed ones too

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Use the silk for the framed ones too


Yep, that's the plan. I remembered you posting about using it for the meltaways and being really happy with the result so I was already going to do that when I decided to ask about using meltaway as a filling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have done both dipped and icing sugar coated meltaways. When dipped it really takes away the meltaway feeling as you have a crunchy outer shell of chocolate.

I have also used frames but now use a silicon square insert to make them. No leaks and I only need to cut in 1 direction.

IMG_0049.JPG

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On ‎2017‎-‎12‎-‎28 at 7:51 PM, dhardy123 said:

I have done both dipped and icing sugar coated meltaways. When dipped it really takes away the meltaway feeling as you have a crunchy outer shell of chocolate.

I have also used frames but now use a silicon square insert to make them. No leaks and I only need to cut in 1 direction.

 


I wanted to mold it in silicone heart-shaped molds but the smallest one I found has hearts that are 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" x 3/4" thick. I can adjust the thickness by how full I fill them but 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" is too big for a one-bite piece so I probably won't do it in that shape. But just for general knowledge, does it pop out of silicone molds without too much trouble?

Edit: Found some that are 3/4" x 3/4". That should work.


Edited by Tri2Cook (log)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tri2Cook said:


I wanted to mold it in silicone heart-shaped molds but the smallest one I found has hearts that are 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" x 3/4" thick. I can adjust the thickness by how full I fill them but 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" is too big for a one-bite piece so I probably won't do it in that shape. But just for general knowledge, does it pop out of silicone molds without too much trouble?

It should. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Tri2Cook said:


I wanted to mold it in silicone heart-shaped molds but the smallest one I found has hearts that are 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" x 3/4" thick. I can adjust the thickness by how full I fill them but 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" is too big for a one-bite piece so I probably won't do it in that shape. But just for general knowledge, does it pop out of silicone molds without too much trouble?

Edit: Found some that are 3/4" x 3/4". That should work.

 

Yes it came right out with no issues

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Similar Content

    • By secast1992
      So I've been experiencing cracks on the foot of my bonbons that I've been unable to find the cause of, hoping to reach out to the community to get to the bottom of this costly problem. 
       
      I work for a small chocolate company that makes our own bean to bar couverture. We use a continuous tempering machine with enrobing belt attachment. 
      The process: ganache is made and then piped into round silicone molds, which are then footed with tempered chocolate before being placed in the freezer until frozen enough to pop out of the molds. They are then set up right and left to thaw and dry out overnight on a equipped with fans aimed at the bonbons. The next day we send the bonbons through the enrober, and then they are transferred to a speed rack to set up, either at room temp (generally around 68-70 degrees F) or in a homemade cooling cabinet (an insulated box equipped with an air conditioner + dehumidifier + fans) that generally fluctuates between 50-56 degrees F (I know, large range). 
       
      Problems occur with both milk and dark couverture, with bonbons kept at room temp or in cabinet, thickness of foot doesn't seem to make a difference (we've tried thicker and thinner). Crack doesn't immediately appear; it usually takes a couple of minutes after being completely set before showing. It looks as though the foot is popping out, cause a hairline crack between the shell and the foot. I've attached pictures. You'll notice in the photos, that when the bonbon is cut in half, the foot separates from the shell pretty significantly. 
       
      Thoughts? Suggestions? Similar experiences? 
       





    • By artiesel
      Does anyone have any experience using Knobel depositing machines?
       
      My one shot plate is leaking chocolate out of the top and I can't determine why.
       
      Any help would be appreciated
       
    • By artiesel
      Has anyone ever performed chocolate panning in a large industrial machine and used a single vessel for the panning AND the polishing steps?  The place i work has only one drum and I'd like to make use of it without purchasing a second drum.
       
      Any advice would be appreciated!
       
       
    • By artiesel
      I was curious if anyone has any experience making aerated chocolate candy (similar to those demonstrated by Grewling in Chocolates and Confections) that does NOT use a warmed ISI siphon to achieve this affect...  https://www.pinterest.com/pin/827255025273299428/
       
      I was wondering if it might be possible to adapt a large siphon so that you could attach a large tank of compressed CO2 or NO to avoid the expense of all the little gas canisters?
       
      Or am I just dreaming of something that's impossible?
    • By pastrygirl
      What are the best, darkest chocolates you've found in wholesale quantities?  Aside from 100%, that is ... I'm thinking in the 75-90% range, available in quantities of 5-20 kg.  It's definitely niche, but between the chocolate nerds and the low-carb-ers there's a market.
       
      Right now, 72% Felchlin Arriba is the darkest I use, in a bar with candied orange.   I have not tried their Elvesia 74% or Sao Palme 75% but it looks like I can get them from AUI.  A Felchlin 88% exists, but would be a special order arriving in a few months (their next container shipment?).  
       
      Valrhona makes the Abinao 85% but that would be another special order.  I'm pretty sure I tried it at one point and liked it.  Does anyone keep it in stock?
       
      How is KaKao Berlin?  They have a Brandenberg 75% but I'm not familiar with the brand.
       
      Any others?  Or I could make my own and have the super dark be my one bean-to bar flavor ...
       
      thanks!
       
       
       
       
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×