• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Meltaways

rebgold

16 hours ago, Tri2Cook said:

Edit: Found some that are 3/4" x 3/4". That should work.

On closer examination, I was less correct than I originally thought I was. They are actually about 1/2" x 1/2" and about 1/2" thick. So now we're at the too small end of the scale. Starting to think the whole "melting hearts" idea for Valentine's Day is going to have to go a different route.

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

16 hours ago, Tri2Cook said:

On closer examination, I was less correct than I originally thought I was. They are actually about 1/2" x 1/2" and about 1/2" thick. So now we're at the too small end of the scale. Starting to think the whole "melting hearts" idea for Valentine's Day is going to have to go a different route.

a few years ago I picked up some heart silicon molds at Ikea that would probably work

8 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Poor guy's a long way from Ikea!

Yep. And I did a search of their Canadian online store... no such critter to be found. It's ok, I have a little time to look around. I'll figure out something I can work with or just scrap the idea and use another shape.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

16 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

Yep. And I did a search of their Canadian online store... no such critter to be found. It's ok, I have a little time to look around. I'll figure out something I can work with or just scrap the idea and use another shape.

Oh sorry...where in Ontario are you?

5 minutes ago, dhardy123 said:

Oh sorry...where in Ontario are you?

You go to what most people think of as Northern Ontario and then drive northwest about 1,000 km or so. :D If you draw a line between Winnipeg and Thunder Bay  I'm about halfway-ish between the two but further north.

34 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

You go to what most people think of as Northern Ontario and then drive northwest about 1,000 km or so. :D If you draw a line between Winnipeg and Thunder Bay  I'm about halfway-ish between the two but further north.

I made the mistake of taking the northern route once when I hitched through Ontario as a teen. Got dropped at the Pickle Lake turnoff, and got a lift 14 hours later from the *third* car to pass. 

I'm guessing from your description you're well to the north of even that neck of the woods. 

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

1 hour ago, Tri2Cook said:

Got a Value Village?  I've found lots of the Ikea heart ice cube molds there over the years.

A little dear here on Amazon.ca

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, pastrygirl said:

Do you think the meltaway is solid enough or hobby molds are flexible enough to use those thin plastic molds?  Maybe if dusted with cocoa or 10x first, or popped in the freezer for 5 min?

Because inquiring minds want to know and because I made ganduja yesterday (1 part dark chocolate to one part sweetened hazelnut paste), I tempered a little of it and piped it into a thin/hobby mold.  I also added a splash of olive oil to a bit of the gianduja to soften it even more and mimic meltaway.  The gianduja is softer than straight chocolate but still un-molded fine.  The few with added olive oil were a bit stickier but between a brief chill and a whack on the counter, they, too came out fine.  So I'd look at those types of molds, there is a lot more variety than silicone and they are much less expensive.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pastrygirl said:

Do you think the meltaway is solid enough or hobby molds are flexible enough to use those thin plastic molds?  Maybe if dusted with cocoa or 10x first, or popped in the freezer for 5 min?

These look like a nice one-bite size.  Hmm, can I steal your idea? :ph34r:

Good idea! I have some hobby grade molds. They're not hearts but I can use them to test how the meltaways release and then acquire hearts if I'm happy with the result. Dusting the mold with 10x should be fine if needed, they get dusted with it eventually anyway.

Take the idea and run with it. Even if I were inclined to be greedy with it, which I'm not, I'd be hard pressed to convince anybody that molding chocolate was my own unique idea. :D

1 hour ago, chromedome said:

I made the mistake of taking the northern route once when I hitched through Ontario as a teen. Got dropped at the Pickle Lake turnoff, and got a lift 14 hours later from the *third* car to pass. 

I'm guessing from your description you're well to the north of even that neck of the woods. 

Nope, not as far north as Pickle Lake. Sioux Lookout, actually. Still about 70 km north of the trans-Canada connecting T'Bay to Winnipeg though.

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

Got a Value Village?  I've found lots of the Ikea heart ice cube molds there over the years.

A little dear here on Amazon.ca

No Value Village either but I'm going to give pastrygirl's idea with the hobby grade molds a shot.

31 minutes ago, RobertM said:

That's the exact mold I found on amazon that I thought would be perfect but in the comments someone asked about piece size and the responses all seemed to agree that they're less than 1/2" x 1/2" each. A little smaller than I had in mind.

2 hours ago, pastrygirl said:

I think that one might work. Slightly bigger than I had in mind but not by much. The price is certainly right.

• Like 1

I found a source for larger containers (3.76 liter) of the refined coconut oil for a much more reasonable cost per liter than I can get it at the local store or even on amazon. Turns out they do have one at the local store that's the refined stuff as well. It's a tad costly at $12 for a 400 gram jar but I think I'm going to spend for it and do a test run to make sure I like the result and that they'll do what I want them to do before getting the large container.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Can meltaways be re-melted and re-tempered? I want to try something in some silicone molds I have sitting around that were purchased for a different purpose but I don't have enough of them to hold a full batch in one round. Just wondering if I'd be better off doing separate smaller batches... and hoping not. :D

48 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

Can meltaways be re-melted and re-tempered?

They can, it should set up fine.

On 1/7/2018 at 7:46 AM, Tri2Cook said:

I'm not sure if I'm too late to the discussion on heart shaped silicone molds, but I just saw these, silkomart micro silicone molds.

https://www.jbprince.com/molds/micro-flex-silicone-molds.asp

https://www.jbprince.com/molds/micro-flex-love-35-forms.asp

I would have purchased these long ago if I knew about them, I'm not sure how new they are, but I just ordered one of each size that would work for me (heart, oval, 'gem,' and round). The sizes are perfect for molded pate de fruit, gummies, ganache to enrobe, etc. Usually I'm very picky with silicone molds, and there's not too many choices that would work, especially for gummies. I'm excited about the hearts. Previously I could only make starch molded heart gummies (the only appropriate size was in the form the thin plastic molds, so I purchased those and made plaster shapes, but could never find a silicone mold of a heart that looked attractive or was the right size.) They are coming in tomorrow, so I'll make some gummies soon and take pics.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, minas6907 said:

They can, it should set up fine.

Just what I was hoping to hear. Thanks!

1 hour ago, minas6907 said:

I'm not sure if I'm too late to the discussion on heart shaped silicone molds, but I just saw these, silkomart micro silicone molds.

Not too late at all. I couldn't find something I was completely happy with so I pushed it to the back burner. Shipping to Canada is a little on the steep side from them but I did a little google time and it looks like dr.ca carries them (I don't remember them having those when I was looking before, that's a site I always check for things like that) so that solves that problem. Thanks again!

6 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Are you using your EZtemper to temper your meltaway?

Yes I am. Scoop in some silk and pour vs. table and cleanup is a non-decision every time. :D

• Like 1