• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NYC Butter Only Italian Bakeries For Sfogliatelle

LuckyGirl

Is there such a think anymore as an Italian bakery that bakes without shortening?

If so, I would like to check them out on my upcoming visit to the city. I will be staying in the Financial District but will travel anywhere for a really great Italian bakery that doesn't use shortening.

Specifically, I am looking for places that make all butter or butter/lard sfogliatelle. I assume that if bakeries in NYC use lard it is non-hydrogenated lard?

Doesn't even have to be an Italian bakery. Really my search is for sfogliatelle so if there are notable ones in non-Italian bakeries I would love to find them.

There are new shortenings being made now that are labeled as "trans fat free" though they can still contain small amounts (half a gram per serving, I believe)of partially hydrogenated oils and as much fully hydrogenated oil as the maker cares to use. I think shortening of any kind is gross stuff thus my search for Italian bakeries that don't use it but it is proving impossible to find one.

Try these guys, in the EV:

http://www.taralluccievino.net/

OR These guys:

http://www.freewilliamsburg.com/listings/restaurants/neighborhood/graham/fortunato-brothers

I'd choose the latter, but you would have to travel to Williamsburg, Brooklyn (2 whole stops on the L train). Super old-school, and the pastries are EXCELLENT, I kid you not.

Though sfogliatelle are really only good the same day. F Bros is always fresh, can't vouch for the other. Just give them a call and see.

Hope this helps.