• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch at the DPI in Mystic

HungryChris

We visited the Captain Danial Packer Inne for the first time in about a year and were reminded of how much we like the little tavern. I couldn't help but say to Deb repeatedly, "Why did we stop coming here?" We used to be Sunday lunch regulars. I don't know what happened, but will be regulars again. I am certain of that. We seated ourselves at a table next to the blazing fireplace that we noted has been converted to gas, but still affords a comfortable warmth. Deb noted a sign that said "local beers are 1/2 price on Sunday" so I opted for a Mystic Bridge IPA from the Cottrell Brewing Co in Pawcatuck. It is a decent beer, but not as rich in character as a great IPA to my mind. I started off with half a dozen oysters which were great, however. Large in size, unmistakably freshly opened and glistening with briny liquor that makes my mouth water just thinking about them. Perfect specimens that disappeared quickly after a splash of lemon juice and cocktail sauce were added. They did not disappoint. We also ordered the warm and crusty bread with butter and roasted garlic on the side. It is in this very Tavern that I discovered my weakness for this offering several years ago after helping my neighbor step his mast at the nearby Fort Rachel Marina.

Deb had the crab cakes with DPI's wonderful garlic mashed potatoes that we try and reproduce for holiday feasts with mixed success. I think that the butter and cream are best added by others, out of sight so as to alleviate the guilt factor from this dish. The cakes were accompanied by a spicy remoulade that quickly vanished along with them. I finished up with another of my favorite appetizers, the portabella mushroom cap filled with Alouette cheese and baked golden with a spiced bread crumb and balsamic vinegar crust. The lunch was memorable and definitely one of the better ones we have had recently.

The downstairs tavern only has a few tables and a bar, but the charm is huge.

HC