• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Peking Duck

Hey Ed and Welcome to Egullet!!

I can't come close to you expertise in Chinese cuisine but I would love to ask a few questions and pick your brain so to speak...

First question. Peking Duck. The best you ever had and where?

I had someone ask me to make it.. Living in Florida it isn't easy to get fresh duck. But I did. 5.5 lbs. Funny. I grew up on Long Island.. :biggrin:

Anyway, I went to Walmarts and bought an air compressor. Blew him up well.. Massaged his body first. I love this chit. Meanwhile I had checked out about 10 recipes for this and decided on one...

Dried him out for a bit. Then dipped him in the proper base I hope Ed? (WOK) He blew up great!

Hung him out to dry again, fan and all.

All I know is when I cooked that bird the next day I got rave reviews.....As good as my friend that has it in China. Maybe better. Homemade pancakes and scallion brushes. The "Best" Hoison sauce I know of.. Koon? Made it 3 times since and only gets better.

Will be going to China this coming year and can't wait. Just not to eat but buying some pearls.

May I ask if you have ever had Lobster in China that moves while you eat it? Still alive and did you enjoy it?

Thanking you in advance,

Pat

Hey Ed and Welcome to Egullet!!

I can't come close to you expertise in Chinese cuisine but I would love to ask a few questions and pick your brain so to speak...

First question.  Peking Duck.  The best you ever had and where?  

I had someone ask me to make it..  Living in Florida it isn't easy to get fresh duck.  But I did.  5.5 lbs.  Funny.  I grew up on Long Island..  :biggrin:

Anyway,  I went to Walmarts and bought an air compressor.  Blew him up well..  Massaged his body first.  I love this chit.  Meanwhile I had checked out about 10 recipes for this and decided on one...

Dried him out for a bit.   Then dipped him in the proper base I hope Ed? (WOK) He blew up great!

Hung him out to dry again, fan and all.

All I know is when I cooked that bird the next day I got rave reviews.....As good as my friend that has it in China. Maybe better. Homemade pancakes and scallion brushes.  The "Best" Hoison sauce I know of.. Koon?  Made it 3 times since and only gets better.

Will be going to China this coming year and can't wait.  Just not to eat but buying some pearls.  

May I ask if you have ever had Lobster in China that moves while you eat it?  Still alive and did you enjoy it?  

Thanking you in advance,

Pat

I have had Peking Duck hundreds of times and to be honest I can't remember one instance where it was so much more memorable than the other 299 times. It is a fairly simple item (for a restaurant) to prepare, where a properly cooked fresh-killed duck is the essential element along with really good wrappers.

By the way I most frequently order Peking Duck at Tai Hung Lau on Mott St in NYC. This restaurant has a very good authentic Cantonese kitchen and on Mondays its very good Peking Duck is 1/2 price, only $18! I particularly get a kick out going for lunch with 2 other friends. We order 4 or 5 kinds of dim sum and a duck, enough to eat ourselves silly, and the tab is only $10/person for a feast.

With regard to lobsters, I particularly remember a variety I had in a Hong Kong Chiu Chow (a regional Cantonese cuisine) style restaurant. When the lobster flexes its tail, a little stream of water shoots out. It's called a 'pissing' lobster. It was alive when they cooked it, but dead when we ate it, sorry. I never see Chinese eat raw fish. For my money, the ones from Maine, Brittainy, and Australia taste better.

Thanks Eddie,

I wrote down the address for Tai Hung Lau on Mott St in NYC. I am hoping to fly up to stay on LI after the holidays and will definately talk some friends into going there. I can't imagine a meal for that price up there? Dim Sum also? Damn...

Pissing Lobster.. ummm Interesting. I wish I could remember the city my friend had the live Lobster. Xi'an? Jinzhou? It wasn't Beijing or Shanghai. Wore westernized food there.

Just want to say your forum here as been most interesting and hope you can find the time to come back again soon..

Tomorrow night. General Tso's Chicken. :laugh: Another one I perfected.. Took me 6 years to find the right recipe.. :biggrin:

Thanks Eddie,

I wrote down the address for Tai Hung Lau on Mott St in NYC.  I am hoping to fly up to stay on LI after the holidays and will definately talk some friends into going there.  I can't imagine a meal for that price up there?  Dim Sum also?  Damn...

Pissing Lobster..  ummm  Interesting.  I wish I could remember the city my friend had the live Lobster.  Xi'an?  Jinzhou?  It wasn't Beijing or Shanghai.  Wore westernized food there. 

Just want to say your forum here as been most interesting and hope you can find the time to come back again soon..

Tomorrow night.  General Tso's Chicken.  :laugh:  Another one I perfected..  Took me 6 years to find the right recipe..  :biggrin:

what's your recipe for general tso?