• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rouxbe (Ruby)

Anna N

So I stumbled across this site today and wondered if any society members are in any way familiar with it. Seems a bit expensive but also seems to have some big names involved with it (such as Dean and DeLuca). Anyone think this type of site may seriously compete with the Food Networks when it comes to teaching about cooking. Anyone think that cooking can be taught this way? Curious minds want to know your reaction.

Edited to add a link.

Edited by Anna N (log)

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

• 1 month later...

I signed up for it through a gilt group offer about a month ago. I can honestly say I've learned quite a bit. You can see all the courses listed without being logged in (I think they allow you to view the first part of a lesson without being logged in). Anyway, i got a year for $99 and have taken maybe 10 out of the 60+ lessons. I can say that I've learned as much - if not more - in those ten courses as I did in the $1400 course I took at a local culinary institute. It's nice because you can replay courses as many times as you want - which would have been nice in my real life course. :) As for watching YouTube - maybe it's similar - I don't really know cause I haven't watched any YouTube cooking demos. The videos on rouxbe are good quality - very clear and very close up. Anyway - I guess it's been a good experience for me so far- I recommend it.