• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Inedit

nakji

Has anyone else tried this? It's from Estrella Damm. My local pub was carrying bottles and my husband couldn't resist taking one home last night. It's in a champagne-style bottle, and has a label that is very reminiscent of Sapporo - a black field with a gold star in the centre. According to the accompanying booklet (!):

Inedit means "never been done before". In co-operation with the Brewmasters of Estrella Damm, Inedit was crafted by the globally acclaimed chef Ferran Adria, Juli Soler, and sommeliers Ferran Centelles and David Seijas from elBulli restaurant. Inedit was created to pair with the most exquisite and challenging foods. Foods that contain: Citrus and Oils: ie. salads, vinegar based sauces. Bitter notes: ie. asparagus, artichokes, rucula. Oily textures: ie salmon, tuna, fatty cheese.

So, perfect with a vindaloo? We actually had it with a well-dressed salad, and I thought it did pair well. The citrus and coriander notes came through nicely, although I thought no better than a bottle of (much cheaper and more widely available) Hooegarden.

• 2 months later...

I recall the label saying something about it being the first beer specifically created to pair with food. Much eye-rolling ensued....

Pairing wine with green salad has always given me trouble. This worked, but no better than any other citrus-y wit beer. For anything with fat content, I felt like it did not have the acidity to cut through richness, (this happens to be my beer and food pairing criticism on the whole.)

Good? Yes. A revelation? No. Overpriced? Yeah. Over-hyped? Way.

My thoughts were the same. The only thing I did like about it was that it seemed a little less heavy than the other wheat beers that I have regular access to - Hoegaarden and Erdinger. But yeah, the bottle's nice.