• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rasoi

Man

Dinner at Rasoi last night. Service is strange. When we enter, a waiter (I assume he is the assistant manager as he is the only one of two wearing a suite) offers no help at all when we struggle a bit to remove and put together our clothes and stuff (we have bags full of paperwork). I don't mind, but am neverthelss struck by the immobility and empty stare of this waiter.

A few minutes later, I order a glass of Manzanilla (the only one on the list). The same waiter, whose clumsy demeanor continues to impress us: 'Excuse me, sir?'. I think that perhaps my Italian accent is too thick. In spite of having lived (and ordered Manzanillas) in this country for over 20 years, it is a possibility, so I repeat and try to be as clear as I can. Waiter: 'I am sorry Sir, I don't understand what you mean'. I take the wine list and point at the coveted item. 'Ah, you mean sherry, sir: no problem, sir'. I am very glad there is no problem.

The funniest bit is when he sets the table between courses. With the same spaced-out stare as before, he puts down fork and knife for Woman, then totally ignores me and lays the knife and fork at the empty seat next to mine! Woman and I cannot avoid bursting out laughing but he does not notice. When the dish is about to be served, another waiter, who had noticed the whole scene but perhaps hadn't wanted to embarrass his superior, rushes at our table and swiftly whisks the cutlery away from the empty seat and to mine while the dishes are being put down.

All harmless stuff, but sorry mate: if you charge fine dining prices you have to have fine dining waiters.

I was very disturbed by being served a meagre .66 litre bottle of water charged at an extortionary £ 5.80. They were very quick in refiling our glasses after every small sip, and by overfilling a glass they were also quick to ask if I wanted another bottle. No way! I switched to tap water. Guess what? For the first time, my glass remained empty, my mouth burning with spices (dramatising a bit). The bottle was not on the table so I could not help myself, as I would have been very happy to do, as I am among the fortunate ones who have arms. I made the waiter understand, without words but in no uncertain terms, that I did not want this to happen any more (it didn't).

I am a wimp because in the end I paid the 12.5% service charge in full but, as is well known, Italians just don't like to make a fuss. :blink:

The vegetarian tasting menu was for the most part amusing, beguiling, creative, balanced, well presented and well constructed (highlight a samosa served with a liquid cream of white tomato). The only real disappointment was the dessert, with a rock solid kulfi and a rather mediocre chocolate mousse. At £73 pp, though, it's not particularly good value (for comparison, the vegetarian tasting menu at Gauthier, which is at least as good, costs in the mid-sixties).

I am glad I tried Rasoi as a one-off experience, but I have no desire at all to be back.

I think the real problem is that the waiters were wearing suites.

In my experience it's very difficult to deliver good service when you have a Chesterfield hanging off you.

eh eh, i won't edit so as not to spoil the comic effect. anyway, he might as well have been carrying a sofa, judging from the smoothness of the service.

Man,

Sounds like I should perhaps give this one a miss. Or I may give it a try, and carry out my threat to withhold service charge, if service is poor.

My local library stocks his (Vineet Bhatia) book, and a handsome creature it is too. The dishes look complex and appealing, although again, I never got around to cooking any recipes from it at all.

I have tried to bag a table here a couple of times, with no luck, although I have left it very late to get a table. I'm not in too much of a rush now. Especially as the pricing is on the stiff side.

"So many places, so little time"

http://londoncalling...blogspot.co.uk/

@d_goodfellow1