• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Alan Wong's (Honolulu)

southern girl

I spent a lovely weekend in Hawaii thanks to the Alabama football team's probation...a season ending reward for the players was their game against U of Hawaii...for me sun, mai tias,football, mai tais, sushi and best of all...two meals at Alan Wong's.

The restaurant is housed in a nondescript office building...this is not the place to dine if you are looking for palm trees and sunsets! The restaurant (located on the 3rd floor) is large with an exhibition kitchen, dining room with Hawaiian browns and tans, and a "patio" overlooking the street. I sit at the Chef's counter to enjoy the show the kitchen crew provides. I usually dine here 10+ times a year and have been semi-adopted by the kitchen crew. Since I do dine there frequently and Chef WOng challenges his crew to be inventive...I am a beneficiary of some of their experiments. I must say I have not met one yet I didn't thoroughly enjoy :smile: .

I will list the amuse from both meals, then follow with the menu and the items I took in.

My first meal began with an amuse of a blini brushed with a light wasabi creme fraiche, topped by fresh salmon wrapped in nori and garnished with salmon roe...excellent. Next the kitchen sent out one of my all time favorites, Mein taiko risotto topped with a skewer containing one grilled shrimp and one seared day boat scallop.

For the second dinner the amuse were: a tower of lump crab atop a yuzu/lemon granita with a drizzle of chive oil and topped with a tomato confit.

This sounds like a lot going on...but, the flavors and textures blended amazingly well. Very Good.

The second amuse: two perfectly seared dayboat scallops placed atop a sunchoke puree and topped with thinly julienned scallions...excellent.

Third...my favorite Alan Wong "oldie": Soup and a Sandwich....a minature grilled cheese sandwich with pulled kalua pork, foie gras and swiss cheese, served atop a papadum which rests across a martini glass filled with red and yellow tomato soups.

On to the menu (and one night's tasting menu). Dishes I enjoyed over the two meals are noted with *.

Apps:

*New Wave Opihi Shooter-Local Limpet, chiffonade of basil, nicoise olive, chiso and tomato water...served in a test-tube like glass, to be swallowed in one shot. Refreshing

*Hot "California" Rolls, But with no rice-Baked Kona Lobster Mousse wrapped in Nori with Crab Avocado Stuffing and topped with wasabi and regular flying fish roe and salmon roe- An explosion of flavors and very rich...another house specialty.

*Ahi Carpaccio-with Ahi Poke, Ponzu and Truffle Oil- Outstandingly fresh ahi, pounded thin with a mound of ahi poke in the center and drizzles of truffle oil and chili. Lots of clean flavors...with the truffle oil lending just a touch of earthiness.

-Chopped Ahi Sashimi and Avocado Salsa-Stacked on a Crispy Wonton, Spicy Aioli and Wasabi Soy.

-"Poki-Pines"-Crispy Won Ton Ahi Poke Ballls on Avocado with Wasabi Sauce.

-"Da Bag"- Steamed Clams with Kalua Pig, Shiitake Mushrooms and Spinach in a foil bag (reminiscent of the Jiffy Pop Popcorn look).

-Hoisin BBQ Baby Back Ribs.

-Nori Wrapped Tempura Bigeye Tuna-Tomato Ginger Relsih and Soy Mustard Sauce.

-Kalbi Style Beef Won Ton Taco- Korean Kim Chee and Pineapple Red Onion Relish.

Salads

-Caesar Salad"-Chopped Romaine with a Creamy Anchovy Dressing and Kalua Pig, Lomi Tomato served in a cheese basket

-"Ahi Cake"- Marinated Eggplant Layered with Maui Onions, Basil, Seared Bigeye Ahi and Tomatoes with a Big Island Goat Cheese Lemongrass Dressing.

-"Tomato Salad"- with Li Hing Mui Vinaigrette

-"Potsticker Salad"- Crsipy Asian Won Ton Slaw with Soy Vinaigrette

-"Chinatown Quesadilla"- with Chinese Roast Duck Salad, Hoisin Soy Mustard Dressing, Jalapeno Oil

Entrees

*Kiawe Grilled Beef Tenderloin with Wasabi Sauce and Potato Gratin...Excellent beef with a hint of smoke. Killer potato gratin...lots of layered firm potatoes and cheese...Very Good.

*Macadamia Nut-Coconut Crusted Lamb Chops, Asian Ratatouille, Roasted Garlic Smashed Potatoes, Natural Jus...three of the most incredibly tender, rare lamb chops...with a hint of cruch from the macadamia coating...outstanding.

-Seared Yellowfin Ahi-Served Rare with Crispy Asian Slaw in Soy Vinaigrette

-Sauteed Shrimp and Clams with Penne Pasta-Chili Garlic Lemongrass Bolack Bean Sauce.

-Kiawe Grilled Mahimahi-Wasabi Sauce, Stir Fried Vegetables

-Steamed Bowl of Shellfish"- Lobster, Crab, Scallop, Shrimp and Clams in a Bouillabaisse Style Broth with a Chili Pepper Aioli and Roasted Garlic Smashed Potatoes (another favorite dish).

-Pan Steamed Opakapaka- Shrimp Pork Hash, Truffle Nage, Gingered Vegetables and Tapioca Pearls.

-Ginger Crusted Onaga-Miso Sesame Vinaigrette, Shiitake and Enoki Mushrooms, Corn.

-Kiawe Grilled Ribeye Steak with Mushrooms and Onion-on Linguine tossed in Bagna Cauda.

Desserts

*Five Spoonfuls of Brulee-Normally I ignore creme brulee...but, this one I have to have. Five "Chinese" soup spoons adhered to a granite slab. Coffee with a chocolate coffee bean; Chocolate with a small square of swirled white and milk chocolate; Orange with candied orange peel, Lilioi with a touch of lilikoi syrup and a seed; Macadamia with chopped macadamia nuts...all excellent.

-"The Chocolate Sampler"- Chocolate Crunch Bars, Chocolate Bombe, Chocolate Soup and Chocolate Sorbet.

-A Tasting of Housemade Sorbets-FIve Flavors of the day

-"The Coconut" Haupia Sorbet in a Chocolate Shell. Served with Tropical Fruits and Lilikoi Sauce.

-"Wong Way Tiramisu"-Chocolate espresso Pot de Creme Topped with Chiffon Cake Layers and Mascarpone Cheese with Kona Coffee Granite.

-Apple Banana Raspberry Oat Crumble-with Jack Daniels Vanilla Ice Cream.

-Okinawan Sweet Potato Cheesecake with Haupia Sorbet and Azuki Been Relish.

-Chocolate "Crunch Bars"- Layers of Milk Chocolate, Macadamia Nut Crunch and Bittersweet Chocolate Mousse.

Bittersweet Chocolate Decadence-Raspberry and Vanilla Ice Cream Swirl.

"Banana Cream Pie"-with Chocolate Ice Cream

-Coconut Tapioca with Passion Fruit Sorbet and Fresh Fruits

-Panna Cotta-Orange Creamsicle Flavored Cream woth Caramel Sauce and Candied Orange Peels

-Lilikoi Cheesecake with Guava Sorbet

-Jasmine Green Tea Gelee with Lychee Sorbet and Fresh Fruits

-"Caramel Apple"-Butter Poached Apple in Filo Wrap, Salty Caramel Foam

-Pumpkin Cheesecake with Cinnamon Ice Cream

-Meyer Lemon Meringue Tart with Lemon Sorbet

Steve...it definitely gets my vote!! And so do the lamb chops :wub: ....I am lucky enough to be going back next month and will have at least three meals there during my visit...I can't wait, one will be all new courses...I love being a guinea pig :wink: !

Lizzie--now you know how I felt as I followed you through France :biggrin: !!

Edited by southern girl (log)

....I am lucky enough to be going back next month and will have at least three meals there during my visit...

sg,

Ahh Alan Wong's..... Had an absolutely stellar meal there a number of years back. If you're going back and haven't tried it before, I would highly reccomend Indigo in the old part of Honolulu (also definately not the palm tree and sunset scene). In my book, still the reigning world ahi grilling champion. They're open for lunch too, if you don't want to give up one of you dinners at AW's.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

I too had one of my best meals ever at Alan Wong's.

Has anyone tried his pineapple martini? Not sweet. He ferments the vodka (Skye, I believe) with ripe pineapple in the refrigerator for 3 or so days and then strains out the vokda. It is an amazing drink!

• 10 months later...
I too had one of my best meals ever at Alan Wong's.

Agreed.

A must for fine dining enthusiasts while in Honolulu is Alan Wong's Restaurant.

Located at 1857 S. King Street, 3rd floor (take elevator, valet parking $3), Honolulu, HI. Location is west of McCully/King. Phone: 808.949.2526 reservations a must. If reservations are full, you might try to ask for the small (4) person seating at a bar that overlooks the kitchen, did not notice this seating option until we were leaving the restaurant.

Chef Wong is a MASTER at using local Hawaiian food with Asian/French touches.

See a sampling of one of his dinner menus:

http://www.alanwongs.com/kingstreet/ksdinner.html

Everything was perfect except where noted.

For appetizers our family had:

"Hot" California Rolls, Da Bag, Duck Nacho

Main Courses were:

Ginger Crusted Onaga (mainstay on menu, terrific), Mac/Coconut crusted Lamb,

Steamed Bowl of Shell fish(the weak dish on the menu), Seared Yellowfin Ahi

Waitstaff was attentive w/o being intrusive.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be"