• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Brands & Online Suppliers of Piment d'Espelette

Chris Amirault

I figure if Keller (and the Voltaggio brothers) recommend Market Hall, that's good enough for me, so I just placed an order for two jars @ $11 each. Shipping is a little expensive, at $8 for an order of less than $25, but the product itself is less expensive than elsewhere, so it's a wash. There's also a 10% discount coupon available until Dec. 17 -- enter LUXURY in the appropriate box at checkout.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I bought some several years ago at Central Market (brand name evaporated with time) here in Texas, since Paula Wolfert had suggested to me that I try Piment d' Esplette on eggs and a little bit of everything. It was excellent, but my taste memory is not good enough to compare it with the brand I bought in the past year on Amazon, Terre Exotique - two 40 g jars for about $35US shipped. I like this one a good deal and use it frequently in soups, stews, beans, potatoes , egg dishes and such, in addition to dishes in Paula's Clay Pot Cooking.

Last year I bought the Igo brand piment d'espelette at the Spanish Table store in Berkeley. I thought the quality was excellent. The price raised my eyebrows, though--$17 per oz. I can't remember whether the store carries other brands at lower prices. I suggest emailing the Berkeley store and asking.

http://www.spanishtable.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=SFNT&Store_Code=TST

Order placed on the 15th, shipped on the 16th (from California), arrived on the 24th. That's about average for ground shipping at this time of year. The product seems fine. Tonight I sprinkled a bit on a bowl of chestnut soup. That worked.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer