• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Weekend Trip to SF

tkrongold

Oh, if you want a cup of coffee with dessert, the cheapest cup is $22. Sorry, but the food just wasn't worth the heavy price tag.

$22 for coffee!!!!

I once paid 7 euros in France for an espresso with some goodies and almost had a fit when I got the bill. $22 - Stunning!!

Il Cane Rosso is on the list for a walk in / casual thing.

Martin

I've recently eaten at both Chez Panisse (downstairs) and Gary Danko.

Food was good at both, but not memorable.

Service ansd decor A+.

Chez Panisse was the best smelling restaurant I've ever eaten at (very open kitchen).

I guess i wouldn't be willing to spend the money to eat at either one again, although if someone else was picking up the tab, i'd go.

Oh, if you want a cup of coffee with dessert, the cheapest cup is $22. Sorry, but the food just wasn't worth the heavy price tag.

$22 for coffee!!!!

I once paid 7 euros in France for an espresso with some goodies and almost had a fit when I got the bill. $22 - Stunning!!

$22 was the CHEAP coffee. There was another coffee that was over $40....

Thanks for the info.

I think it is a little too difficult to organise a trip out of town. I will give it some thought.

While I am thinking of out of town places, is Murray Circle worth the trip?

I have not been yet, but I have a foodie-type friend who quite liked it.

Anyone else have opinions? Worth the hike to Sausalito?

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

$22 for coffee!!!!

$22 was the CHEAP coffee. There was another coffee that was over $40....

Yeah, check out the prices on their cocktail menu, too, it's crazy. Alexander's just opened another branch in SF, not sure who is supposed to dine there...

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

I'm going to be the complete detractor here...

I think Michael Mina, Benu, AND Coi are all over-hyped and over rated. Murray Circle has also lost some charm since its early lauds (as attested by a recent review by Michael Bauer).

I would definitely consider Meadowood and perhaps extending your stay in Napa to include Morimoto, Ubuntu, or Rotisserie and Wine. More reason to head to Napa than for a LONG trip to Los Gatos for Manresa, IMHO.

On Annachan's note on Burma Superstar; it gets hyped because we are one of the only cities in the country with a large Burmese population so it is a cuisine that not many people get to sample. That alone makes it worth of a trip, although I would suggest the San Francisco Burma Superstar over the Oakland one.

I can't recommend Saisson, Frances, or SPQR highly enough. Also Aziza is unlike any other restaurant in the country and worth consideration.

So far I have reservations in Campton Place, Commonwealth, Frances and the bar at Coi. I have cancelled Michael Mina. I am also hoping to do a couple happy hours - snacking and drinking (Prospect and the fifth floor possibly). Any thoughts?

Some casual, long breakfasts / lunches too, depending on the weather and what we fancy doing.

Still considering a day / overnight trip but nothing certain yet.

Thanks for the information.

Martin

We just returned from a trip to SF.

Must HIGHLY recommend Saison. The kitchen was slammed so service was a little slow but the room is very comfortable and they kept the wine glasses full. My wife thought the food was the best she has had possibly ever (this is one heck of a recommendation since we have eaten most everywhere in the world unless newly open or Noma). I tend not to describe things as best etc but for me the food was incredibly well prepared, with attention to local sourcing, and each dih was creatively presented but not overly composed.

We did not reserve the chef table (counter four seats) but this looks like an extra that would be worth it from the menu extras as well as the view into the kitchen and room.

For a quick lunch bite, try Spice Kit. The pork buns are as good as if not better than Momofuku.

maLO, I suggest you avoid Fifth Floor. It has gone through chef after chef and recently, when I stopped in just for a cocktail, it was filled with poorly-dressed hipsters who were too loud and the cocktail menu was less than interesting.

For cocktails in the city you want to consider Bourbon & Branch (a MUST for the cocktail person; reservations required), Alembic (good food, too!), Pisco, or Gitane (another place with great food). I'm still a Campton Place detractor; it is too staid and there are much better places in the city (Saison, Frances, Prospect, and all the aforementioned cocktail places).

We just went to Cotogna and it's just fantastic. Reservations aren't easy to come by but the best seats in the house, IMO, are for walk ins. Now that they are open all day (though only serving pizzas from 2:30-5:30pm), not sure how easy it is to get seats as walk ins without a wait. We want when they just opened for lunch (11:30) and grabbed seats at the counter right in front of the roasting station. It was great watching all the actions. Prices are very reasonable for the quality of food. The pasta and roasted meats are not to be missed.

I do know that it's not easy to get Burmese food around the country. And I do agree that it is one cuisine that is worth trying. Personally, I love it. I just don't think Burma Superstar does it justice. I much prefer Little Yangon because that reminds me of the home cooking stuff I was exposed to by family friends. I was enjoying tea leaf salad 20 years ago as afternoon snacks before that dish became so popular.

• 3 weeks later...

So, I had a think.

Changed campton place dinmer for cotogna lunch, got a reservation at the cafe at chez panisse

(last try ended up in oscars - good fortune - good burger!).

Looking forward to the beer festival week too (does anyone have any idea what is going on).

I also have a reservation for coi lounge - what are the best menu options from the choices availabe? It seems quite a strange blend.

Not long now - cant wait!

Thanks

Martin

I went to this place called Mr. Pollo last week, and while the place isn't very fancy the food was fantastic. It's about 300 square feet, seats 12 people, and the chef/owner Manny goes to the farmer's market every day or two and picks out what looks good and fresh. He serves up 4 courses for $15, and the pastry chef/server Chris makes delicious desserts.

The courses he served to the lady and me (he was doing fish tastings this particular day)...

Cheese arepa (kind of like a papusa, but sweeter)

Mackerel with a small salad of beets and mezzula(?) greens (I've used them before and can't remember the right name, they are a little bitter like frisee)

Bay scallops...can't remember what was served with it

Shrimp with rice and a garlic cream sauce (this was an extra course he gave us)

Langostinos with fresh farmer's market salsa, purple potatoes

Dessert was honey-vanilla ice cream and a pear upside-down cake ($5)

All of that for $20/person, and it was delicious!

Really enjoyed Frascati; it's been about two years, and I can still remember the duck, and the chocolate bread pudding. We knew nothing about the place (it was our first visit to SF), and stopped by one evening, just on chance. Ask to sit in the mezzanine, though, since it's much more peaceful, and you can concentrate on the food better.

Bianco e Nero was very good for lunch, too.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

This was helpful, I'm headed to wine country for a few days in mid May. So far the plan is go to to Bar Tartine, McCormick and Kuleto's, French Laundry, Buchon and Chez Panisse. What's the deal with Bottega? Is it just pricey celebrity place or what? Nobody has mentioned it so far.

I have simple tastes. I am always satisfied with the best - Oscar Wilde

The Easy Bohemian

This was helpful, I'm headed to wine country for a few days in mid May. So far the plan is go to to Bar Tartine, McCormick and Kuleto's, French Laundry, Buchon and Chez Panisse. What's the deal with Bottega? Is it just pricey celebrity place or what? Nobody has mentioned it so far.

If you want a second Keller experience I would switch Bouchon with Ad Hoc. Ad Hoc is more unique than Bouchon which is good (but not outstanding) French bistro food. In addition the Yountville location was for us the weakest in terms of service and food compared to Las Vegas and Los Angeles (and even those two can also be quite underwhelming sometimes)

Edited by Honkman (log)

If you want a second Keller experience I would switch Bouchon with Ad Hoc. Ad Hoc is more unique than Bouchon which is good (but not outstanding) French bistro food. In addition the Yountville location was for us the weakest in terms of service and food compared to Las Vegas and Los Angeles (and even those two can also be quite underwhelming sometimes)

i love ad hoc. its one of my favorite restaurants in the world for its great atmosphere and good food. And the price is pretty unbeatable.

Going back through your list, skip McCormick & Kuletos = CHAIN/FAIL! If you want good seafood, consider Tadich, Anchor & Hope, or Farallon.

Completely agree that Saison will be a great exclamation point to your trip, although you might find it similar to French Laundry (although I would almost take Saison over the Laundry). Here is my write-up on Bottega, since you asked. Bauer wrote it up this week in the Chron and raved about it.

Lastly, do you realize that Bar Tartine is going through a whole menu re-do? Chef Nick Balla -- who just left Nombe -- is completely changing over its French theme to Hungarian. Personally, I have been following Nick's career for a couple of years and can't wait to see what he does, but what you have been reading about Bar Tartine will definitely not be the same when you come in May.

I was iffy on McCormicl and Kuletos but the wife read about it on some travel website and she has to go. I had to research the other places, are any of them close to Fisherman's Wharf?

I'm a bigger fan of Tartine Bakery actually, the plan was to get there around 5:00 when the bread comes out. Think the restaurant we end up eating at will care if we bring our own bread? ;)

I have simple tastes. I am always satisfied with the best - Oscar Wilde

The Easy Bohemian

I was iffy on McCormicl and Kuletos but the wife read about it on some travel website and she has to go. I had to research the other places, are any of them close to Fisherman's Wharf?

I'm a bigger fan of Tartine Bakery actually, the plan was to get there around 5:00 when the bread comes out. Think the restaurant we end up eating at will care if we bring our own bread? ;)

The Wharf is a tourist area so it really isn't known for great food. McCormick & Kuletos has average food at pretty high prices, and great views. If you don't mind traveling away from the Wharf a bit, down by the Ferry Building, you'll find places with both great food and great views. For seafood, there is Waterbar. If you want more steak and potatoes type place, there is Epic Roasthouse right next to it. La Mar has good Peruvian food, with plenty of seafood and meat choices. Then there is Lafitte, which has a small menu that changes daily.

Maybe you can call the restaurant and ask if you can BYOB. You don't have to tell them that you meant bread.... :biggrin: