• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Golden Sand Shrimp

Dejah

Had a new dish (to me) the other night at a local restaurant now serving "authentic" Chinese food. We've been several times and working slowly through their massive menu.

One item that really caught my fancy was Golden Sand Shrimp - Gum Sa Ha. It is supposedly coated with a mixture of mashed cooked salty egg yolk. Any information, ideas, or recipes would be most appreciated!

The coating was golden, like a crunchy batter, and the shrimp was barely cooked - to perfection.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

I've never had Gum Sa shrimp, but I've had that preparation with various ingredients. I personally love gum sa crab, probably my favorite way of eating crab. A local restaurant makes a good gum sa pumpkin. In Hong Kong, I enjoyed some gum sa frog legs. I've always been a salted egg fan so naturally, I'm drawn to these dishes.

Sorry, never attempted to make it so I have no recipe to offer. I am interested to learn from others who have though.

Actually, the restaurant makes a Gum Sa Crab, but when that's not available, it's Gum Sa Shrimp.

This restaurant is a small place (seats 60 max) with new owners. Having been once a week, then taking our 50 international students (45 Chinese) there for year-end dinner, and my being able to speak Cantonese, we've struck up a friendship. They said if we wanted to take in a crab, they will do the Gum Sa crab for us.

My s-i-l was goading me to ask for the recipe, but...So, I'm asking here. I think the idea is to mash up the cooked salty egg yolk, then incorporate it into the batter.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

I think the idea is to mash up the cooked salty egg yolk, then incorporate it into the batter.

I don't have the recipe Dai Ga Jeah. But if I were to try, I will do it with raw salted egg yolks. Smash the egg yolks. Coat the shrimp with the liquidy raw egg yolk, then coat them again with a light batter. Deep fry the shrimp. The frying oil should cook the egg yolk along with crisping the batter nicely at the same time.

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

I wonder if raw salty egg yolk was used, would it still have that "sandy" texture?

Need to experiment...

Any suggestions for a batter? It looked "crumbly". I just might have to go and eat another plate to refresh my memory. :wink:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Hmm I love this dish, the last time I had it out was in Hong Kong. It was with small unshelled shrimp that you ate whole, the shells were very thin and crispy. Dejah no need to experiment as I have been practising this dish at home for a couple of years now. I can give you my ongoing notes and you can carry on my good work. Though I can't recreate exactly the HK style because I can't get that type of shrimp so I use shelled tiger prawns or the like. It's actually very simple, you boil a couple of salted duck eggs for 9-10 minutes and extract the semi-cooked yolks. Then batter and deep-fry the shrimp as normal with any batter you like. More often than not I will just use a quick and easy cornflour/flour coating. Set the crispy coated shrimp aside then add the yolks to a tablespoon of fresh oil, not too hot, you can mash the yolks beforehand but it doesn’t really matter as they dissolve readily in the heat of the oil. Toss the shrimp back in, coat them with the eggy golden sand and season with just salt or if you prefer a little spiced salt. Don't overcook and serve.

gallery_52657_5922_171857.jpg

Thanks, Prawn! Those look exactly like the ones I had last week!

I've saved your notes and will try your method soon!

Trust a young'un to teach an old dog new tricks. :laugh:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

They look absolutely beautiful!

However -- LOL! -- I did a double take with your "comment" following the picture. The "I admit -------" one. I know it has nothing to do with the shrimp, but it really made me laugh!

Back to the recipe -- does the yoke add its own flavor?

• 3 weeks later...

I check with my friends who work in Chinese restaurants to see if they know a recipe. I've been told that the main ingredients (pumpkin, crab, shrimp, etc.) is fried after dipped in a fry batter or dredge in flour. Then, heat up a combination of butter and oil (veg I assume), add cooked duck egg yolks, mix well, wait till the mixture forms and then toss the fried items back and stir together till just combined. So, pretty much like what the others have said.

Thanks, everyone, for all the info' on this request. I've noted it all down and will be trying my hand in the near future. Hubby and I are on a kinda health-related restristed diet at the moment. Looking forward to trying this out with shrimp, crab AND the corn...one complete menu... :wink:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

• 3 weeks later...