• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Louisiana culinary roots

When I am exposed to different foods and people, I begin to see the links from different

cultures to Louisiana food. West African okra/okro stew and gumbo, Spanish Rosca

de Reyes and King Cake, West African Jollof and Jambalaya, Spanish empanadas

and Natchitoches Meat Pie. Chef John Folse talks about colonial/plantation/West African influence on Louisiana cuisine but is there a definitive guide to Louisiana's culinary roots.

I largely ask this because I have sometimes heard people in Louisiana blindly attribute everything to the French. And I am looking for explanations as opposed to statements on how foods traveled to Louisiana.

Also, speaking of the French. French cakes often avoid using pure wheat flour and instead substitute wheat flour with almond flour or something else. In Louisiana we have lots of pecan meal/flour that's basically sold as trash for $2/lb (almond flour is $40/lb). Is anyone out there using pecan meal to make cakes or marketing its use in cakes or other baked goods?

great loaves.