• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Caramel Popcorn

Malawry

I have been making Jaymes' recipe for about a month now. The first two times I doubled the recipe, then a few single batches after. It has turned out great every time. Everyone at my work loves it too. Today I picked up a 6" deep steam table tray to make this recipe in. I should be able to do a triple recipe in there with plenty of room for stirring :wub: Thanks for the recipe.

Mike

I have been making Jaymes' recipe for about a month now. The first two times I doubled the recipe, then a few single batches after. It has turned out great every time. Everyone at my work loves it too. Today I picked up a 6" deep steam table tray to make this recipe in. I should be able to do a triple recipe in there with plenty of room for stirring :wub:  Thanks for the recipe.

Mike

Wow. A triple recipe. That's a lot o' corn! The steam table tray is a great idea. Think I might look for one myself.

And thanks to you, and to everyone else that took the time to let me know you're enjoying the recipe. Got a big ol' smile on my face.

:rolleyes:

Oh, and PS Mike: I note that's your first post. Welcome!

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Jaymes - I am going to make the caramel corn and caramel and coconut covered marshmallows to give as gifts for Christmas eve - how far ahead do you think I can make the corn?

I've made it and sealed it up good and sent it to folks overseas. Guess it took a couple of weeks to get there and they said it was still wonderful, but I don't know for sure, since I never sampled it after that long (although now that I'm writing this, it occurs to me that I should have).

Often, however, I've intentionally made more than I thought I needed, so that it would last longer. But it just never does. It gets gobbled up and carted home.

Sorry that I can't give you a more definitive answer, but I definitely think if you seal it well, like in tins or something, it should last at least a week to ten days.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Here's my mother's recipe for:

Chocolate Popcorn

12 c. popped corn (about 2/3 cup kernels needed)

1 c. sugar

2/3 c. corn syrup, light or dark

2 Tbsp. butter

6 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips

1 tsp. vanilla

Preheat oven to 250F.

Place corn in large pan; I use a turkey roaster sprayed with Pam.

In a 2-qt. pan over medium heat, mix sugar, syrup, and butter. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in chocolate and vanilla. Pour the chocolate syrup over popcorn and mix well. Bake 1 hour at 250F, stirring now and then. Spoon baked popcorn onto waxed paper or large baking sheets to cool, breaking up large clusters with a spoon. Store airtight.

This is a non-sticky treat. You can substitute bittersweet chocolate for the chips; add toasted coconut shavings or nuts such as almonds.

Tonight I made 2 batches of Jaymes recipe, but opted for Lyle's Golden Syrup in place of molasses or maple. I LOVE Lyle's in caramel sauce and it didn't dissapoint here. I did one batch with nuts and one without (forgot them in the first batch).

I used microwave popcorn, but the lightly-salted, "natural flavor" variety.

Yummy stuff!

Tomorrow I'll make two more batches, then it's slated to go in baggies tucked into little holiday decorated Chinese-carryout style boxes for my co-workers.

Tonight I made 2 batches of Jaymes recipe, but opted for Lyle's Golden Syrup in place of molasses or maple.  I LOVE Lyle's in caramel sauce and it didn't dissapoint here.  I did one batch with nuts and one without (forgot them in the first batch). 

I used microwave popcorn, but the lightly-salted, "natural flavor" variety.

Yummy stuff! 

Tomorrow I'll make two more batches, then it's slated to go in baggies tucked into little holiday decorated Chinese-carryout style boxes for my co-workers.

I have a lot of golden syrup. Do you think it can be subbed for the corn syrup?

I have a lot of golden syrup.  Do you think it can be subbed for the corn syrup?

Hmmm... I didn't think of going that way...

I subbed it for the molasses and added an extra tablespoon, just because I love the flavor. My corn turned out great!

If you sub the golden syrup for the corn syrup and leave the molasses, it will be much darker.

I'm tempted to try using 100% golden syrup... may do a small batch that way and see what happens.

Jaz - I've been making caramel corn for 30 years, having learned at the elbow of my grandfather - 'nuff of that.

Instead of using roasted, salted nuts at the end of your cooking process, try adding the same volume of raw peanuts 1/2 through your cooking time. They'll still "sink" but they will all become mixed with the corn once you complete your cooking process, add the corn and stir

I made four batches of Jaymes' recipe last weekend. I used (raw) mixed nuts (cashews, pecans, walnuts, almonds and macadamia nuts). I mixed the popcorn and the nuts in large, disposable steam table trays and then poured the caramel mixture over. It was easy to mix in the large trays. Followed the directions to bake and stir, etc.

When cool, I put the caramel corn into cellophane bags and gave them away. I already have people calling and demanding more. This receipe is truly amazing - and I don't like caramel corn in general and have never made it before!

Thanks Jaymes, for sharing this recipe. I didn't feel like making cookies this year and your recipe is fun, easy and delicious!

Jaz - I've been making caramel corn for 30 years, having learned at the elbow of my grandfather - 'nuff of that.

Instead of using roasted, salted nuts at the end of your cooking process, try adding the same volume of raw peanuts 1/2 through your cooking time.  They'll still "sink" but they will all become mixed with the corn once you complete your cooking process, add the corn and stir

I don't add them at the end, I add them at the beginning. I've tried stirring, and not stirring -- either way, they don't stay mixed with the popcorn. It's fine though -- I've decided I like it better without nuts.

I made a batch with golden syrup ( for the corn syrup) and maple syrup for the molasses. Loved the flavor, but the texture isnt right. I can't describe it, its more sugary on the outside. Its not smooth like the other version. I made a big batch of the original version so I'll just mix the two together.

I understand that in order to prevent crystalization you need to use two different types of sugars. Table sugar, brown sugar, maple syrup, and golden syrup are all just forms of sucrose, so any combination of those may crystalize. You need to add something like corn syrup (glucose) to prevent crystalization. I've used honey successfully, as well.

Edited by sheetz (log)

Thanks to Jaymes for his recipe. It's a very forgiving recipe.

I put in too much popcorn in my first batch but it was still very good. I especially prefer it this way as it's less sweet.

My second batch took 1/3 cup unpopped popcorn, lots of dried cranberries, pecans, walnuts, almonds and cashews and the syrup was just right.

I filled it in plastic bags and into glass storage jars as gifts. So much better and surprisingly unexpected than cookies.

I find it tastes better than the Rocky Mountain caramel corn. I think they cheaped out on the caramel because even my first batch tastes better.

Can't wait to try it with rum and other flavorings.

BTW, what's the purpose of using baking soda?

Edited by maxmillan (log)

I understand that in order to prevent crystalization you need to use two different types of sugars. Table sugar, brown sugar, maple syrup, and golden syrup are all just forms of sucrose, so any combination of those may crystalize. You need to add something like corn syrup (glucose) to prevent crystalization. I've used honey successfully, as well.

Thanks, that was a great help!!

Another HUGE thumbs up for the recipe from Jaymes. My mom and I (I'm still barely limping around) made a triple batch last night.

WOW.

We did up the amount of caramel syrup based on the posts suggesting more is better- and my stepfather's comment that 'there's never enough caramel or nuts in caramel corn!'. I can't wait to start experimenting with the variations.

I can only hope there's still some left to give away! :blush:

BTW, what's the purpose of using baking soda?

Baking soda both neutralizes the acid in the brown sugar and molasses, and also makes for a lighter texture.

Just popping in (ha ha) to note that I made my seventh double batch last night. My word, I cannot keep this stuff in the house! Everyone that I give it to calls back demanding more! I cannot thank Jaymes enough for this recipe. Caramel corn is definitely going to become an annual tradition at our house. :wub:

I gave bags of Jaymes carmel corn to my co-workers on Friday. One of my compadres is Vietnamese and a health nut. She is constantly on my case because I don't get enough exercise, eat right, etc. As she was leaving the office Friday afternoon, she popped her head into my office and said, "Pam, I don't understand why you made my bag so SMALL!" She held up the remains of a mostly-eaten bag of carmel corn. HIT!!! It made my day!

I place about 300g of sugar and just a bit of water in a heavy saucepan (that has a cover with it) and cook it to soft ball, I then toss in about 1/3 cup unpopped popcorn kernels and stir them around.  They will suddenly start blossoming just at the caramel stage.  At this point for your own self protection you will want to put the top on and start madly shaking the pan around.  When it stops making popping noises you open up, stir the corn around a minute or two to deepen the caramel color and pour our onto a sheet pan.

I just tried my own version of this method - thinking it might work, but I had no recipe.... just an idea that it might......... anyhow, I made a caramel with some butter ...... most of my kernels did not pop. Some did and then it started to burn and the corn seemed to drown a bit in it. Perhaps the addition of butter changes things.

It was just an experiment, trying to save a step. I believe I'm going back to the separate caramel poured over popped corn.

chefette, did you then bake the coated corn?

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Add me to the long list of fans of Jaymes's caramel corn recipe. I made my first batch yesterday afternoon so I would have something sweet to bring to evening holiday parties. It's a very easy and forgiving recipe. I split the recipe in half--one plain, to the second I added a tsp of chili powder and some pecan halves. Delicious and addictive, both of them.

For the 2 T molasses specified, I used 1 T molasses, 1 T maple syrup. Along with others who posted on this question earlier, I was worried that the molasses flavor might dominate. But now that I've tasted the results, I think the molasses helps balance the sweetness and I'll try it with all molasses next time. This is a keeper!