• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

US to ban energy drinks?

http://www.chinchinjobs.com/news/Article/america-looks-to-ban-non-alcoholic-energy-drinks-including-red-bull-1075

This proposed law sounds ridiculous to me. It's up to adults to decide what they put in their bodies. How can you ban caffeinated energy drinks when there are plenty of other incredibly unhealthy food and drinks on the shelves?

And where would this leave really strong coffees, like double/ triple espressos?

Good point. If only legislators applied some logic to law making.

Legislator Lynn Nowick put forward the proposals, saying: These drinks are potentially dangerous for teens.

"Why put foreign things in your body when you don't know what's going in to them? The drinks are not regulated."

I'd reckon you know pretty much what is in these drinks - just look at the ingredients and "nutritional" information on the can.

Best Wishes,

Chee Fai.

This bill was introduced in Suffolk County, NJ, not the whole of the US, and it bans the sale of extremely high caffeine content drinks to minors. No need to panic yet, unless you're a minor and actually live there, I guess?

(The article you linked also got the name of the legislator wrong. She's Lynne, not Lynn, Norwick, at least according to her Facebook profile.)

Anyway, however anyone feels about it, there's no principle that adults can put anything they like in their bodies - we have drug laws, after all. Neither is there a principle that manufacturers can put unsafe amounts of things in their products, which seems to be what the bill is about.

Edited by Dakki (log)

This is my skillet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My skillet is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my skillet is useless. Without my skillet, I am useless. I must season my skillet well. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My skillet and myself are the makers of my meal. We are the masters of our kitchen. So be it, until there are no ingredients, but dinner. Amen.

If it is purely about caffeine content then they'd have to legislate against tea & coffee too.

e.g. a 6.5oz can of Starbucks Double Shot contains 130mg of caffeine. Well above the proposed limit of 80mg. I'd imagine that a "regular" double espresso will be above the limit. How about that? Showing ID to buy a cup of coffee!

http://www.energyfiend.com/caffeine-content/starbucks-double-shot

Best Wishes,

Chee Fai.

• Similar Content

• By Johnhouse
      Hello everyone!

I have been working in food and beverage industry for almost 10 years in different countries. I am looking forward to learn new things on this forum to expand my food and beverage knowledge as well as sharing my experiences that I gained in my journey!

Have a good day! ☺️ 
    • By catdaddy
      Mrs catdaddy has been good this year and I'm considering buying a Rancilio Silvia as a Christmas present. I know this machine gets a lot of love here, especially when outfitted with a PID. After reading many posts I'm just wondering if there is anything new (since 2013 say) I should know about  the Rancilio or other great machine on the market?

Also any tips about use and/or essential other tools.....like a good knock box. We've got a great grinder already.
    • By Fernwood
      Anyone familiar with this little joint in the Village?  I assume some Brazilian roots because of items like pao de queijo and brigadeiros on the menu.  I would love to know about the coffee in the latte my husband brought me--such a bright flavor, not at all like typical espresso of my experience.  At home in CT we have access to a pretty great local roaster with quite a range of coffees.  I wish I knew about the coffee in that O Cafe latte so I could try for something similar from Willoughby's.  
    • By alacarte
      I recently took a trip to Northern Italy, and was delighted to find that the cappuccino everywhere was just wonderful, without exception. Smooth, flavorful, aromatic perfect crema, strong but not too strong.
      Aside from the obvious answer (duh, Italians created cappuccino ), what makes Italian capp so fantastic, and how do I duplicate the effect here?
      I'm wondering if it's the water, the way the coffee is ground or stored, the machines used....I'm baffled.
      Also noticed that the serving size tended to be smaller than what I'm used to -- i.e. a small teacupful vs. a brimming mug or Starbucks supersize. Not sure why that is either.
      Grazie mille for any insight on this!
    • By thecuriousone
      Hi everybody-
      Where can I find a recipe for mit schlage? I would like to make some coffee drinks for the holidays and top them with it. I havent been able to find anything other than a basic whipped cream recipe. Thanks for all of your help.