• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Espresso Machines for less than $500

DanM

I was wondering what machines I should look at for less than $500. I doubt that SWMBO will let me buy one, but it doesn't hurt to look.

Dan

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

I'm happy with my Breville machine (around $400, can't remember the model #)...I ditched the pressurized, double-wall portafilter and got a single-walled one. That helped a bit, as did a proper tamper. ETA: my Bialetti stovetop moka pot (less than $40) makes excellent coffee, too.

Edited by HungryC (log)

Gizmodo just did a review of the Mypressi Twist, which is the handheld espresso maker. I have no idea how reputable Gizmodo is in terms quality reviews of coffee accessories, but it's an interesting option none the less. $170 + a $200 quality burr grinder is less than $500...

Link: http://gizmodo.com/5707531/mypressi-twist-review-home-espresso-dynamo

The Rancilio Silvia (Amazon link here) is a favorite of many around these parts. Ours is almost exactly ten years old and we use it 2-3 times per day. It's a bit outside your price range, but I'm now unable to drink espresso outside the house within Rhode Island state limits due to being spoiled.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

It depends how much grinding and tamping you want to do. If you don't mind the heresy, as some would say, of an automatic machine, Costco has the Saeco Odea Go II for $399.99 shipped, until December 19. Ours has been hissing away merrily for nearly two years now. Do the regular maintenance (e.g., clean the brew group), put up with a couple of quirks, and life is good.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I'd recommend home-barista.net for equipment advice - haven't pulled the trigger on anything besides an aeropress myself (which makes very serviceable 'espresso' and is highly recommended if you don't want to bite the bullet on the machine), but have done a lot of "window shopping" there.

Of course, once you look at the Silvia, you have to look at a proper grinder too. Putting the total way out of the OP's budget.

I currently use an aeropress and a mazzer mini - obviously a little out of cost balance between machine and grinder but the nic thing is the grinder will last and be there when I'm ready to step up (hopefully to an Alex duetto ii in the next year or so).

Of course, once you look at the Silvia, you have to look at a proper grinder too. Putting the total way out of the OP's budget.

I currently use an aeropress and a mazzer mini - obviously a little out of cost balance between machine and grinder but the nic thing is the grinder will last and be there when I'm ready to step up (hopefully to an Alex duetto ii in the next year or so).

I actually think that's the best way to approach it. You'll always have a great grinder, which along with excellent beans, is the key to good coffee.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

It depends how much grinding and tamping you want to do. If you don't mind the heresy, as some would say, of an automatic machine, Costco has the Saeco Odea Go II for $399.99 shipped, until December 19. Ours has been hissing away merrily for nearly two years now. Do the regular maintenance (e.g., clean the brew group), put up with a couple of quirks, and life is good.

Some think that cars with automatic transmissions is heresy. But is gets the job done and serves most well. With a 9 month old terror, having the machine do 95% of the work has definite benefits.

Dan

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

Fully automatic machines will give you a more consistent level of performance but the quality may be lower than with a semi-automatic machine where you can produce stellar coffee sometimes, but it is more dependent on the user and the stars lining up properly :)

When my wife's decade old single boiler machine died, we were set on getting a super-automatic. A visit to a large coffee equipment store convinced us otherwise. The machines were ready to be used, and we both sampled espresso (same beans, same water) from a super-auto and an E61 group machine. First up was the super-auto: we thought the super-auto was pretty good, and you can't beat the simplicity. Well, it was pretty good until we tried the shot from the E61. Suddenly the super-auto shot tasted flat and 2-dimensional. The E61 shot was great, and we ended up with an E61 HX machine.

I wish I had stayed even longer and played with temperature control with different beans. That learning experienced moved me to a pid-controlled double boiler with fantastic temp control less than a year later. I really didn't like the randomness of the HX cooling flush...

Dan, you don't mention where you're located. Is there any chance that you can visit a well stocked store and actually taste the espresso from the machines? In the Seattle area there is Seattle Coffee Gear. In NY, there's Chris Coffee. There might be more.

Oh and the Mypressi produces phenomenal espresso when paired with fresh beans and care to make sure that the device and water is up to temp. The Twist, a quality hand grinder, and a small Bodum kettle is part of my travel kit.