• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Michelin Stars 2011

Interesting piece from Richard Vines polling chefs on their star predictions, L'Anima comes heavily recommended by many, although this will be the 3rd year it's been tipped.

Other names mentioned: Marcus Wareing for 3, L'Enclune for 2, Sat Bains for 2, also Petit Maison seems to come highly recommended:Article here

The Chef Hermes blog

Can be followed on Twitter: @chefhermes

Or Facebook:Chef Hermes group page

A couple of friends have recently been to Winteringham Fields and thought it was worthy of a star. I haven't been there for years and was somewhat unimpressed by their recent appearence on the Gordon R best restaurant show but it could be one to watch.

Interesting piece from Richard Vines polling chefs on their star predictions, L'Anima comes heavily recommended by many, although this will be the 3rd year it's been tipped.

Having seen franco mazzei (sp?) fawn over a table of ladies including tommi miers and pru leith with an amazing looking tasting menu whilst i looked in amazement at what £35 of veal bought (2 scabby bits not even a whole piece) i'm not suprised other chefs think it is brilliant if they get the same treatment, whilst us paying punters pay through the nose for thoroughly average food with the odd high spot. maybe the michelin inspectors have had the same experience?

its success owes more to the lack of options in the city than the quality of its operation, Zucca eats it for breakfast, and i dare say the other young pretenders do too, and at significantly less prices fwiw.

pleased to see good old anthony worrall thomson up with events tipping chez bruce for a star. :laugh:

you don't win friends with salad

A couple of friends have recently been to Winteringham Fields and thought it was worthy of a star. I haven't been there for years and was somewhat unimpressed by their recent appearence on the Gordon R best restaurant show but it could be one to watch.

haven't been since the glory days of the schwabs but there's obviously something not chiming with michelin, the place was nice enough internally for 2* and the menu shows similar ambition, they have had a lot of change on the chef front which i suspect is the issue but has had owner at the helm for a couple of years now.

i thought they came over well on ramsay and i was pleased it didn't seem to have changed much, i thought they were unfairly pillored for not being able to do 40 covers in 2 hours when they'd probably only do 20 over an evening, after all they didn't ask the indian place to cook an 8 course haute tasting menu did they? :wink:

you don't win friends with salad

Seem to be hearing the same rumour, that there is a new 3 star.

Smart money seems to be on MW with Gidleigh & Ledbury as outsiders.

I would hate to be around Gordon R if he loses his third star and MW gains one :wacko:

Cant see it happening (GR losing one that is) maybe for 2012guide but with Mark Askew back in the kitchen at RHR it has brought a level of stability to the kitchen.

Rumours are circulating that Claire Smyth will be bankrolled by GR into opening her own place

The Chef Hermes blog

I haven't been to Winteringham since a disappointing meal just before they lost their star. I would have given them another chance, but the prices remained at 2* level while the guides suggested that the standards had slipped quite a long way. I know why they had to maintain their prices, but it must have put others off too? They did look more enticing on that TV farrago, despite an unfair bashing from Rambo.

Anyway, North of the Humber Bridge Artisan in Hessle could be an outside shout for a star: a small operation, but doing very well and improved each and every time I visit (infrequently, alas, due to junior Kropotkins).

Also nearby, Whites, in Beverley, is also improving markedly - one to watch for the future I think.

The best meal I had in the UK this year was at the Sportsman, but that place probably messes with the Michelin categories and criteria too much for a promotion.

By contrast Apsley's, often tipped for another star, didn't quite reach those levels on my November visit.

Having seen franco mazzei (sp?) fawn over a table of ladies including tommi miers and pru leith with an amazing looking tasting menu whilst i looked in amazement at what £35 of veal bought (2 scabby bits not even a whole piece) i'm not suprised other chefs think it is brilliant if they get the same treatment, whilst us paying punters pay through the nose for thoroughly average food with the odd high spot. maybe the michelin inspectors have had the same experience?

They certainly deserve a star for their PR :smile:

It is true in general, to be fair, that chefs get treated like royalty and so their (public) opinions on other chefs ought to be taken with a pinch of salt (and, they may have all sorts of motives). More interesting are their private opinions, when one manages to extract them...

Edited by Man (log)

By contrast Apsley's, often tipped for another star, didn't quite reach those levels on my November visit.

I am a fan of Apsley's and have alwys had very high level meals there, but I've heard other credible people reporting opinions similar to yours. It could be they have a consistency problem.

PS: Coren or Norman are not included in the 'credible people'. But I take note of O'Loughlin (also negative). I wonder what my favourite Jay Rayner thinks about this one: does he have a review?

It is true in general, to be fair, that chefs get treated like royalty and so their (public) opinions on other chefs ought to be taken with a pinch of salt (and, they may have all sorts of motives). More interesting are their private opinions, when one manages to extract them...

Known chefs, probably. The rest of us not so.

Can equate with the private opinions comment though, when we chatted to a starred individual about our leak on the GFG, he baulked at Nathan Outlaw getting best seafood restaurant. Yet publicly they appear to be best of mates :wacko:

The Chef Hermes blog

Cant see it happening (GR losing one that is) maybe for 2012guide but with Mark Askew back in the kitchen at RHR it has brought a level of stability to the kitchen.

Rumours are circulating that Claire Smyth will be bankrolled by GR into opening her own place

When did he come back? I went there three times last year, and never saw him. But well, that kitchen seems to do what it does pretty well. Like it or not, I doubt that it had a stability problem.

The only one worthy of three stars is without doubt Brett, but then again, it is a very different restaurant to RHR and Ducasse. Who knows.

That's exactly the problem, Adam. It is by far the best restaurant in London, at least in my book, but it would be quite a surprise for me to see them get the third one. However, hope dies last, so let's see.

If Wareing gets it, it would be close to a joke, not a single person I know that knows something about food liked that place. But well, he seems to REALLY want it.

When did he come back? I went there three times last year, and never saw him. But well, that kitchen seems to do what it does pretty well. Like it or not, I doubt that it had a stability problem.

Was lead to believe about 3-4months ago, maybe longer

The Chef Hermes blog

Was lead to believe about 3-4months ago, maybe longer

Out of curiosity I just looked at the website and Clare Smyth is still listed as "Head Chef" (here) with Mark Askew listed as "Executive Chef".

Is the website misleading customers or do you know if this is a valid description of the current setup?

@JudyB;

Restaurant websites are notoriously slow to be updated and so wouldn't put it that that they were misleading the punters (it actually says Restaurant Gordon Ramsay above the door, & he's never there :laugh: :laugh: )

@felix

Have several sources within GRH & all say the same thing, so guess it's a matter of time.

The one thing that they all say is that the loss of a rosette in September didn't matter as all that counted was the red book in Jan.

The Chef Hermes blog

Here's one to throw in from left field.

Hastings in Lytham, former head of Northcote Manor & Stanley House. Warrick Dodds.

Anybody been?

Heard one or two things but nothing really conclusive and lets face it Michelin always occasionally throws up an unknown gem this time of year.

The Chef Hermes blog

Here's one to throw in from left field.

Hastings in Lytham, former head of Northcote Manor & Stanley House. Warrick Dodds.

Anybody been?

Heard one or two things but nothing really conclusive and lets face it Michelin always occasionally throws up an unknown gem this time of year.

Yes, my family hail from that neck of the woods so I've been there a few times and it's very good. However, it is one of those two-tier concepts where there's a 'brasserie' downstairs and a fine-dining, degustation restaurant up. I've only eaten in the brasserie (we've always headed there for lunch when the restaurant is closed - evenings only), but it clearly demonstrates Warrick's pedigree. As you may expect this half of the venue constitutes the bulk of their covers and offers all the Lancashire favourites you'd expect, black pudding, lamb shank, fish & chips etc. It's also incredibly inexpensive considering the standard, but high-prices don't really fly on the Fylde so I guess it's perfectly pitched.

I suspect the star would go to the restaurant if they get one, but at the very least, the brasserie deserves a red 'M' in my opinion.

Edited by marcusjames (log)