• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Michelin Stars 2011

Unfortunately, I see no likely new ones in my neck of the woods so I'll take an outside punt at the Marquis at Alkham, Kent.

Caveat is that I'm assuming that service has improved and now matches cooking which was bloody good last year. Current menu looks like a determined committment to doing fine things with local ingredients.

John Hartley

Interesting reading through the thread that the subject of service is a recurring theme.

Yet Michelin & Derek Bulmer both say quite openly that it doesnt count when inspection for 1*, where as for the AA & one would imagine the GFG aswell, service is an integral part of the dining experience & reflects in your score.

The Chef Hermes blog

Can be followed on Twitter: @chefhermes

Or Facebook:Chef Hermes group page

Aumbry seems very non-Michelin in my opinion. Great food but not what they seem to be about. I've not been since Mary-Ellen had her baby so can't comment on whether there's been a change in quality.

My meal at Koffmann last friday was easily 1* standard and many parts were 2* quality.

Adam

Aumbry seems very non-Michelin in my opinion. Great food but not what they seem to be about. I've not been since Mary-Ellen had her baby so can't comment on whether there's been a change in quality.

My meal at Koffmann last friday was easily 1* standard and many parts were 2* quality.

Adam

Adam,

Your post highlights the difference of opinion that arise from some pretty experienced diners about the same restaurant. Which just of course proves the point " you can't please all of the people, all of the time".

From a personal point of view, I absolutely loved it and considering Pierre Koffmann held three Michelin stars, its certainly, and you would think, easily possible, Michelin would award him a "one".

I do hope so.

As an aside, across the road at Bar Boulud, and again given the Michelin status of the chef, personally I would be surprised if they were awarded a star, the style is just not in keeping. Still I may just be wrong.

"So many places, so little time"

http://londoncalling...blogspot.co.uk/

@d_goodfellow1

Having read this piece by Richard Vines (Bloomberg)where top chefs talk about the best meals they've had this year, The Ledbury seems to get alot of mentions.

Albert Roux is clearly using the piece to promote one of his own restaurants (Roux at The Landau), really?!? Best meal this year Albert? and its only been open afew weeks.

Last years hot restaurant (MW at The Berkley) doesn't seem to be getting any mentions, I do hope we don't get a call from Mr Wareing for pointing this out :cool:

With concern to Aumbry and the mixed feed back people seem to have, it looks like it for fills the criteria for a star. :laugh:

I didnt mention Koffmans as felt it was stating the obvious :biggrin:

The Chef Hermes blog

The Ledbury seems to get alot of mentions.

I tried to get a table for this weekend, no chance. We are on their waiting list, not only here but a couple of other places.

Well, apart from the popularity, it is Xmas.

@d_goodfellow1

Amazing that Koffman's got so many mentions in that article.

When we went the cooking was below-par. Hardly the revelatory experience we were hoping for.

Perhaps it depends who is in the kitchen?

Havn't heard who if anybody has taken over from Clive Dixon as Head Chef, been lead to believe that the boys are being run ragged by the pace though.

The Chef Hermes blog

Havn't heard who if anybody has taken over from Clive Dixon as Head Chef, been lead to believe that the boys are being run ragged by the pace though.

According to my information, Pierre Koffmann does not currently have a head chef. He is in the kitchen every day running things.

Me thinks he fancies that Michelin star.

@d_goodfellow1

Amazing that Koffman's got so many mentions in that article.

When we went the cooking was below-par. Hardly the revelatory experience we were hoping for.

Perhaps it depends who is in the kitchen?

Remember that this survey merely indicates where well-known chefs had their best meal. They are guaranteed to experience the best a restaurant can offer, and (in the words of a starred chef I know) 'we get treated like kings when we eat out'. The experience of lesser mortals (assuming you are one of us) is more subject to random fluctuations (I had plastic as well as uncontrolled seasoning in my dishes at the Ledbury, something which I am pretty sure none of the chefs in the survey will ever experience...)

Yep, I don't usually play the DON'T YOU KNOW WHO I AM card. Mainly because I am a nobody!

A great restaurant will make the lowliest peasant feel like a king.

After all, we're paying the same money!

Maybe I should start calling ahead and book under the name Michel Roux Jr.

The Ledbury seems to get alot of mentions.

I tried to get a table for this weekend, no chance. We are on their waiting list, not only here but a couple of other places.

Well, apart from the popularity, it is Xmas.

saw brett the day after the masterchef segment featuring them aired, they were busy before that, but after all the weekend tables til christmas had gone, think this was mid-october!

it is very much a 'chef's restaurant' too.

you don't win friends with salad

Anyone up to tipping Paul Ainsworth, of No 6 Padstow for a star. I know he has more than his share of fans on here.

There is a very good interview with Mr A over on one my favourite websites Staff Canteen.

@d_goodfellow1

nice piece, adrian aka basildog was on there the other week too.

glad to see it is working out for them , my first meal was a painful experience, it was easter bank hol saturday, they were rammed and the food was just too complex to get it out quickly enough, just had the feel that they could do it for 20 covers but not 40 plus, and it was very 'ramsay' right down to the arancini canapes that ramsay used to do (and probably still do.

we had an eary start the next day and i think we cut the last courses and left, which as anyone who knows me is not my style at all!

lunch under the new 'regime' was infinitely better, more relaxed but the food & service was top notch, it was one of the standout meals of the year. Nathan outlaw always seems to get a star so maybe cornwall/padstow will have 2 this year?

you don't win friends with salad

Our dinner at Number 6 in September was definitely our favourite meal during a short stay in Padstow. I found the dishes very clever and delicious, plus the staff were attentive and extremely friendly without going overboard and 'hovering.'

Unfortunately, Nathan Outlaw's place was closed on the only night we could dine there.

We'll definitely get there next time.

Our dinner at Number 6 in September was definitely our favourite meal during a short stay in Padstow. I found the dishes very clever and delicious, plus the staff were attentive and extremely friendly without going overboard and 'hovering.'

I agree - I remember our meal there (two years ago) very well. I thought it deserved a star then, hope he gets the recognition. But even with a star it will still be easier to score a table at No.6 than many of the Stein outlets....the power of TV!

[but even with a star it will still be easier to score a table at No.6 than many of the Stein outlets....the power of TV![

That's certainly true about the power of TV. Just for fun, I ordered some mincemeat pies from Rick Stein's website as they seemed a bit more fruity and were not at all expensive.

The package came with a pile of advertising for the Stein monopoly in Padstow.. B&Bs, restaurants, pubs... it went on and on and was all very slick. It boggles the mind at times.

Edited by rudallrose (log)

• 2 weeks later...

Our tip for a star 2012 (yes thats right, 2 guides time), Martin Blunos at the Thistle Cardiff.

Mr Blunos has the kind of track record with Michelin that would make any chef green with envy, 2 stars twice for over 15 years and then 1 with the Lygon Arms. We broke the story first and to date don't even know when the revamped Hamons restaurant will re-open under Blunos.

But if he's give the tools to do the job, you'd put your house on it.

The Chef Hermes blog

I hadn't realised Martin Blunos had started cooking again. He's one of my favourite chefs - his boiled egg and soilders is a work of art. Can't wait to try the new venue.

Oh yes, he's been busy beavering away with not only doing Iron Chef for CH4 but demos as well as consulting at various hotels.

The Story was posted on the blog on Nov 4th, well before any other website :wink: Although still awaiting a confirmed opening date.

The Chef Hermes blog

I hadn't realised Martin Blunos had started cooking again. He's one of my favourite chefs - his boiled egg and soilders is a work of art. Can't wait to try the new venue.

Oh yes, he's been busy beavering away with not only doing Iron Chef for CH4 but demos as well as consulting at various hotels.

The Story was posted on the blog on Nov 4th, well before any other website :wink: Although still awaiting a confirmed opening date.

Its the beginning of March, no date as yet though.

@d_goodfellow1