• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Michelin Stars 2011

Typically this time of year I can't help but think, and of course look forward to the new guide, which is literally just weeks away (second week of January?)

The question is of course, who will reach one star status, who will gain another, and who will get demoted?

I must admit to be struggling this year nothing jumps out at all. Thats not a good sign for me.

Be very interested in getting your views. I may get a tip or two as to where to try next.

"So many places, so little time"

http://londoncalling...blogspot.co.uk/

@d_goodfellow1

The Pass Restaurant at South Lodge Hotel, West Sussex head chef Matt Gillan is doing some great stuff over there 7/10 good food guide this year and straight in at 31. Having been there I would think that its his time. No other recommendations as we've hardly been out this year I'm afraid!

http://www.allium.uk.net

http://alliumfood.wordpress.com/ the alliumfood blog

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming - Whey hey what a ride!!!, "

Sarah Poli, Firenze, Kibworth Beauchamp

Looks like I'll be the first to mention the subject of RHR, with a demotion from the AA and rumours of Claire Smyth's "move" to her own restaurant, maybe a demotion. Every food critic I've spoken to recently doesn't rate it at 3 star level, there are also rumours of GR allegedly being quite close with senior Michelin people, now with some of them gone or going & him seemingly more interested in media hard to see them maintaining 3.

One of our sources from RHR said that they(the restaurant) didnt care about any of the guide books other than Michelin, so the AA wasnt a loss.

L'Enclum to go to 2stars

Nathan Outlaw 2 rising

Kenny Atkinson 1 or 1 rising

Bohemia 2 rising

New Angel Lose (mainly due to the stability of past year)

L'ortolan 2 rising

Sat Bains 2 rising

Maze lose (again due to the stability)

Tuddenham Mill 1 rising

Should be enough to be going on with

The Chef Hermes blog

Can be followed on Twitter: @chefhermes

Or Facebook:Chef Hermes group page

I forgot all about Kenny Atkinson, shame on me. A chef of his calibre is Michelin certainty.

Isn't Sat Bains ex head chef at Tuddenham Mill? Seem to think I read it somewhere.

He is yes, I follow him on twitter, his menu's have nods to his culinary past with his time with Mr Bains.

Was lead to believe the AA snubbed Kenny for 3 rosettes this year - Shame on them.

Edited by Chef Hermes Blog (log)

The Chef Hermes blog

I like your blog Chef, been following it for a while.

As your in the business, you should have more insight than most as to who is doing the business up and down the country.

Any young guns we should keep an eye on?

Btw, you can pay me later :wink:

@d_goodfellow1

The ones that are consistently mentioned are;

Matt Gillan @ The Pass

Tuddenham Mill

Number 6 (I think it is) in Padstow

William Drabble

There is a place in South Manchester & the name escapes me at the moment (won a best new comer award from GFG)

The problem with this is the time factor, to gain a star you'll be looking at 6-10 inspections in less than 10-12 months hence the reason some people will be over looked. Michelin themselves have said that unless that you are a chef/patron they are unlikely to consider you in the first 18months. Think that this maybe the reason that they build up the resentment from chefs.

The Chef Hermes blog

There is a place in South Manchester & the name escapes me at the moment (won a best new comer award from GFG)

That's Aumbry (which is actually in North Manchester). Based on our meal there in August, I'll be gob-smacked if gets a star.

I wonder if the UK awards will follow Spain where there seems to be a number of hotel based restaurants winning their first star - four of them, I think.

John Hartley

Here is the link David Goodfellow posted last time around - just incase anyone wants to know what last year brought about.

http://servicesv2.webmichelin.com/frontnews/servlet/GetElement?elementCode=56905

I believe West Stoke House has closed - Chef going to the new angel / carved angel. There are a couple of other places closed / changed that will probalbly loose out too.

I cant see why Simon Radley wont get a promotion - refined and high quality if very formal.

Gauthier Soho could be worth a mention for a * or how about viajante (havent eaten there but sounds good).

Abode Chester cant be a million miles off one either, but I would be suprised non the less.

If GR or the Waterside were to be demoted who of the established two stars could step up?

Martin

Here is the link David Goodfellow posted last time around - just incase anyone wants to know what last year brought about.

http://servicesv2.webmichelin.com/frontnews/servlet/GetElement?elementCode=56905

I believe West Stoke House has closed - Chef going to the new angel / carved angel. There are a couple of other places closed / changed that will probalbly loose out too.

I cant see why Simon Radley wont get a promotion - refined and high quality if very formal.

Gauthier Soho could be worth a mention for a * or how about viajante (havent eaten there but sounds good).

Abode Chester cant be a million miles off one either, but I would be suprised non the less.

If GR or the Waterside were to be demoted who of the established two stars could step up?

Re Stoke house; all of that is true, rumoured to be re opening as a brasserie. The old owners are looking to open something casual locally to Stoke House.

Gidleigh Park seems to pop up on that front concerning stepping up, from 2 to 3. On comparision with say AD @ The Dorch, I would say it's very very close. Staff are a real credit at Gidleigh as well.

Again Simon Radley's name has come up in conversation as well, general thought is not yet but maybe 2012.

Forgot about Gaulthier Soho, may stand an outside chance just about timings with inspections.

The Chef Hermes blog

I wonder what Pierre Koffmann would make of a *?

I know there was talk of non michelin food, but the one star rating is such a wide spectrum. Shaun Hill got one at the walnut tree - good ingredients treated with due respect and a sprinke of magic - could be a similar situation.

Martin

In terms of Birmingham, I can't see there being any change (Simpsons, Turners, Purnells, 1* each). Loves and Edmunds will both be looking for one but I don't expect they will get one. Could Lasan get one? That would be a turn-up, but certainly its better than Benares!

I wonder what Pierre Koffmann would make of a *?

No chance, not based on the meal we had there!

let's not forget that every year, the majority of changes, additions / demotions are from exisiting starred chefs leaving or joining. So koffman very likely, 3* before, cooking french food in a suitably attired room. pace ducasse, robuchon etc all of which got maulings from press/punters at various times (less so robuchon but query over 2* etc) but got the star.

No 6 in padstow were ex-petrus IIRC so should know how the game is played. been twice, first forgettable , second brilliant (last year).

you don't win friends with salad

I had a decent lunch in the Aumbry, but I too doubt its worth a star just yet.

Yeah Mary Ellen was with child last time I went and so was not in the kitchen...she was missed.

Not a great meal.

The first visit soon after it opened was 1* level food, but it doesn't seem to have maintained the consistency. Shame.

That's Aumbry (which is actually in North Manchester). Based on our meal there in August, I'll be gob-smacked if gets a star.

So will I.

Our meal was decent, but no where near Michelin standard.

Fascinating. I had the best meal I've had in two years here recently. A tasting menu worthy of a Frenchman in an oversized white puffa-jacket carrying a 5-pointed flourescent heavenly body if ever there was one!

The cute little restaurant doesn't scream 'Michelin' but I thought the food and service certainly did.

Always hungry.

So will I.

Our meal was decent, but no where near Michelin standard.

Fascinating. I had the best meal I've had in two years here recently. A tasting menu worthy of a Frenchman in an oversized white puffa-jacket carrying a 5-pointed flourescent heavenly body if ever there was one!

The cute little restaurant doesn't scream 'Michelin' but I thought the food and service certainly did.

Your not connected to them are you :wink: If you are, can you ask them to sort out there website, they have been promising to do some update since opening. Perhaps then we may be tempted to make a return visit.

I looked for your review on the Aumbry topic but can not see one. Which is a shame if the meal was that enjoyable.

My review was quite fair at the time, if perhaps a bit generous especially looking at the desserts, which were no where near Michelin standard. In fact they were amaturish.

Can I ask what you are comparing their food too. In other words is it too local restaurants, or up against Michelin places?

@d_goodfellow1

Another I haven't eaten in but I think should get recognised is Adam Simmonds Danesfield House. Rated highly by GFG and The AA - possibly 2* standard if you compare with other establishments with such scores so 1* seems a reasonable bet.

Incidently, I mention the gfg as I bought the app for ipod today - 59p compared to £15 for the book, bargain.

Martin