• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Aldi in Australia

I was back in the US a few months back and was talking to friends about Aldi. One of them told me that Trader Joe's and Aldi are owned by the same people. I know they are quite different, but Aldi has grown on me.

Some stuff I pick up from Aldi regularly:

Mango smoothie (great with vodka!)

Biocult (pro-biotic drink)

Pasta bake sauce (mushroom and red wine flavor)

Tuna

Pasta (the cheap ones - actually holds up quite well, like the TJ brand)

Frozen fries/chips - I think is that cafe style ones

Mini ice cream cones - I'm quit fond of the strawberry ones

I've also picked up some good deals on kitchen gadgets, like the ones Snadra was talking about. But when I got them about 6 months ago, they were even cheaper, maybe for $5.

Trader Joe's is a beach party, Aldi's , with its stipped down everything, feels like a wake. That said, all Aldi's canned stuff is delicious and reliable.

Is this the same Aldi we have in the EU?! The 'wake' descriptor makes that seem probable (although the ones here are also apparently legally required to have a small collection of drunks in their parking lots at all times), but the selection of canned goods that one finds on their shelves in Denmark is of a uniform badness, suitable only for putting into the coffin of the deceased whose wake this is, if those left behind are taking a pessimistic view of his or her afterlife destination: They seem most appropriate to an eternity spent in hell.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

Trader Joe's is a beach party, Aldi's , with its stipped down everything, feels like a wake. That said, all Aldi's canned stuff is delicious and reliable.

Is this the same Aldi we have in the EU?! The 'wake' descriptor makes that seem probable (although the ones here are also apparently legally required to have a small collection of drunks in their parking lots at all times), but the selection of canned goods that one finds on their shelves in Denmark is of a uniform badness, suitable only for putting into the coffin of the deceased whose wake this is, if those left behind are taking a pessimistic view of his or her afterlife destination: They seem most appropriate to an eternity spent in hell.

According to my husband, Aldi in UK is pretty dodgy. The one across from where he used to live often carried products very close to or pass expiration dates.

The Aldi in Australia is much better.

I'm so glad there's no Aldi (yet) in California, just their pretty brother Trader Joe's. I am German and I still have nightmares from mile long lines at the ONE open register (the other 4 closed and piled full of boxes), unfriendly and unknowing employees. I do love their paprica potato chips though, nothing comes close.

The one thing I sometimes consider buying there in bulk is California nuts, buy them at less than 1 Euro, reimport them to California and sell them $1 less than the $10/lb stores want, make a killing.

My family shops there all the time (it's so cheap!), I'd avoid it like the pest. IMO it's cheap for a reason.

Great if you have limited income or other priorities (carpayments, vacations, etc) but I've never been impressed by their quality (except the chips) and the shopping experience is just terrible.

Lately they seem to make most of their money by selling TVs and other some such stuff though, which is kind of funny. Just about anything new in my parents house is from Aldi, LOL

Weird family that owns it too....

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

• 3 months later...
  • 6 years later...

Had to pick this up, because, how Aussie, even if they import it from Italy (seems silly to ship all that way). It was actually very good.

20181104_115206.thumb.jpg.db41d7eccc993cb07cb709b980c9da84.jpg

Also bought a steel-mesh fisherman's glove to use with the mandoline.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

• 1 year later...