• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hot Spiced Tea Recipe

kitwilliams

When we were growing up, my mom made this drink for parties: black tea, lemonade concentrate, orange juice concentrate, a few cinnamon sticks and whole cloves, sugar. No one in the family has the recipe. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Would love to serve it at an open house. A great warmer-upper, and also easily made 'adult' with the addition of rum or whatever you please.

Hope someone remembers this!

Thanks!

kit

"I'm bringing pastry back"

Weebl

Thanks for that, cookingofjoy. I've seen a lot of recipes similar to the 'russian tea'. I think SOMEONE must know of the other using the frozen concentrates...where is that Someone???

kit

Weebl

Absolutely, Jenni. I just seem to recall that there was something really odd about it and I don't remember what! It has been decades since we've made this! But who knows? Maybe I'll come up with something better than the original! If I do, I'll let you all know.

But keep those cards and letters coming!

Thanks again!

kit

Weebl

If you go to this page you will find the same recipe that was introduced to America in the November 1947 Good Housekeeping magazine under the title "Hot Russian Spiced Tea."

I have the original recipe pasted on a file card from my grandmother's recipe box.

I came across this online recipe a couple of years ago and have it in my links folder for "Holiday" tea recipes.

My grandmother put the tea and spices in the basket of a large electric percolator/urn, plugged it in and allowed it to perk until the strength was to her liking. She then unplugged it, let it set for a few minutes and then removed the basket and stem and plugged it in again.

I've prepared it with my 30 cup West Bend urn and for a bit of different flavor, have tried it using half water and half apple cider - very tasty either way.

(I remember my grandmother serving this when she hosted an Eastern Star meeting - my grandfather was a Mason.) The ladies were suitably impressed and it wasn't long before this was a regular offering at any occasion.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Absolutely, Jenni. I just seem to recall that there was something really odd about it and I don't remember what! It has been decades since we've made this! But who knows? Maybe I'll come up with something better than the original! If I do, I'll let you all know.

But keep those cards and letters coming!

Thanks again!

Just out of curiosity, did a google search with hot punch tea concentrate and got quite a few recipes that might suffice.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Thanks, andiesenji...not the frozen concentrate I am used to but will likely be even better with the fresh juices.

My mom did the same with the big percolator. I can smell it now!

kit

Weebl

Thanks, andiesenji...not the frozen concentrate I am used to but will likely be even better with the fresh juices.

My mom did the same with the big percolator. I can smell it now!

Frozen juice concentrate was not available where I grew up until well after that time period. It was probably available at markets in Paducah but I don't recall seeing it until the early '50s.

I was born and raised on my grandfather's farm and even during the latter years of WWII he would order crates of citrus shipped from Florida when the fruit came into season.

Nothing was wasted - that was when I first learned about candying citrus peel.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I have never made this before but here is a recipe from an older cookbook that I have, maybe from the 1960’s or so. It is a bit vague, especially as to the size of can for the frozen juices. I have not bought frozen OJ for ages but we always had it growing up and it seems that the cans back then were smallish, maybe 6 ounces.

Hope it helps. It would be pretty easy to scale down and experiment with, to achieve the taste that you remember.

Hot Drink for the Holidays

Heat—

4 cups water

2 cups sugar

In a bag—

3 sticks cinnamon

1 dozen whole cloves

6 allspice

Heat in syrup—

1 can frozen lemonade and 3 cans of water

2 cans frozen orange juice and 3 cans of water

2 quarts of brewed tea or apple cider

Serve warm.

Thanks, Kay. That is it. Tastes just as I remember (my mom didn't use the allspice so I didn't either).

Even better with rum.

Happy Holidays and don't forget to drink your hot spiced tea!

kit

Weebl