• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Venison + Beef = juicy sausage?

ilikefood

Hello All:

I was recently appointed my family's sausage maker. My family had a good deer hunt this year and so there are seven deer to process this weekend. The shoulder and older deer will be made into sausage. We will probably make about 150 lbs. of venison sausage. However, due to religious reasons, pork cannot be used in the sausages. As of right now, I intend to use beef fat in lieu of pork fat. Does anyone have any suggestions how to make a tasty, juicy venison-beef sausage? I will probably add more liquid than usual and if I make any smoked sausages, I will add a good amount of powdered milk. Is there anything else I can do to make a good sausage? Lastly, any good recipes? I made the smoked venison sausage recipe in Charcuterie and will try the recipe again this weekend with beef fat.

Thank you in advance!

David

Beef fat works, but not as well as pork. Get firm fat, and you'll need about 1 part fat to 4 parts venison, maybe more. Trim the venison very well; no connective tissue or glands. I like to season the trimmed meat and chill overnight before grinding.

I find the recipe in Charcuterie a little hot-dog-like. With venison I like juniper + a strong herb like rosemary or sage + maybe some red wine. Paul's suggestion to check Len Poli's site is a good one; my usual recipe looks a lot like his: http://lpoli.50webs.com/index_files/VenisonFreshSausage.pdf

In your case, for the first 4 ingredients sub 4lb venison and 1 lb beef fat.

Here's another similar recipe:

http://honest-food.net/wild-game/venison-recipes/ground-meat-dishes/venison-sausage-with-sage-and-juniper/

If you're going to smoke them, reduce the recipe salt quantity by 2.6g per kg of mix, and add 2.6g/kg of #1 curing salt. Hot smoke at 80c to 65c internal. Milk powder... I don't think you need it to get a good result in this kind of sausage. And if the reason you're not using pork is kosher, combining milk and meat would be an issue. Actually, if the reason is kosher or halal, then shot or bow-hunted deer won't qualify; they haven't been slaughtered properly. I assume you're not using pork casings.

Since you're making 150lbs, I'd suggest making (and smoking) a small test batch first to check seasoning and texture. And I hope the family is grateful; 150lbs is going to be many hours of work if you're using home equipment.

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Some members of my family do not eat pork because they are Seventh Day Adventists. I will have to check about the use of powdered milk with the sausages. My family members do not have an issue with eating gun-shot deer -- they eat venison on a regular basis.

Thanks for the link to Len Poli's website. There is a lot of great information there. I really like the science behind the primary bind with the meat proteins.

HKDave - Thank you so much for the Hunter, Angler, Gardner, Cook recipe and website. I think I have found a new favorite website! :biggrin:

I will give a report on how the sausage making goes tomorrow, Sunday.

Thanks again!