• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sous Vide, Poaching and Confit

IndyRob

Sous vide, poaching and confit share some obvious similarities and differences. But what about the not so obvious? If I have brined some pork, will poaching in the brine be the same as sous vide-ing the brined pork? Thomas Keller uses a hybrid of confit and sous vide for lobster by adding some beurre monte to the sous vide bag.

Where are the lines clear and where are they blurry?

One of the major things is flavor that is lost in the poaching liquid. Think about it, the fat or liquid that you use to poach is going to suck the flavor out of the product. When under vacuum in the bag all it has to cook in is itself and the small amount of flavorings/fats that you add. That being said, if you keep a bath of oil or liquid at an exact temperature the same effects as sous vide (in relation to even doneness) will happen. So as for poaching in a brine I would think the flavor of the pork would be lost a little but I'm sure a well seasoned poaching liquid would make it delicious. Every time I have had to oil poach fish it was a matter of using an induction burner to keep it at an exact temperature. That's my $.02, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Sleep, bike, cook, feed, repeat...

Chef Facebook HQ Menlo Park, CA

My eGullet Foodblog