• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Healthy Christmas cooking for colon cancer

Calw

I am cooking Christmas dinner for a good friend recently diagnosed with a colon cancer. While I usually cook what tastes best, I am looking for suggestions on what tastes great and is very healthy and fit for a Christmas Dinner. I will likely start with a Carrot Orange Soup...and from there who knows. Any main or side or dessert suggestion is welcome. Thanks.

So sorry to hear about your friend. Do you know what the general dietary recommendations are for someone with colon cancer? I'm sure we can come up with a lot of fine ideas, but I'm completely unclear on the protocol.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Great questions. I will look into it. She has just started the chemo phase. I know that moving towards vegetable and away from animal is a general trend. There are many approaches in dealing with this - some do a starvation approach where they cut out all fat, but I don't know what is science and what are other word of mouth approaches.

Thanks

Calw

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. I lost my mom to cancer and cooked for her often.

When I talked with her doctors one of the major problems they brought up is weight loss. Chemo kills your appetite pretty quickly, so tasty savory things are best. You don't need to skimp on fat or calories.

You mention her eating less meat and I'd like to argue against that! There is no research that is a good idea. In fact there's more evidence it's bullshit. Your friend needs healthy fats and healthy proteins.

I hope your friend eats lots of delicious food, that is the best way for her to stay strong.

Grace Piper, host of Fearless Cooking

www.fearlesscooking.tv

My eGullet Blog: What I ate for one week Nov. 2010

Subscribe to my 5 minute video podcast through iTunes, just search for Fearless Cooking

Thanks. I've checked in and from a med interaction, there are no issues. However, from a health / lifestyle standpoint we are dealing with someone who has lived well from a food standpoint - too well without balance. I'm not her parent, but I am the chef - so I get to pick. If she survives the cancer, she needs to deal with the weight. Unfortunately there is a wealth of data on that. So... ideas?

Hmm...this is ONE meal, not meal #1 of a lifestyle change or an opportunity to preach nutrition. If I were a cancer patient undergoing chemo, I'd want to eat well and enjoy Christmas dinner (if able to do so). As long as she's not on a low-residue or low-fiber diet due to surgery or gastrointestinal impairment, I'd focus on things she enjoys. If she needs nutritional counseling, buy a gift certificate to a nutritionist....don't think you can influence her choices, health, or lifestyle at one meal. She probably won't want her health to be the focus of your menu planning. Love, friendship, and positive energy are as important as nutrition to someone facing a major illness. Think about nourishing her soul, not just her body.

Hell, if I were facing those circumstances at Christmas, I'd want a big cassoulet, roasted vegetables, and several bottles of red wine.

One thing I learned when cooking for a friend undergoing chemo is that leftovers are very welcome. She probably won't have the energy to cook for herself. So consider making something that reheats or freezes well, and make extra. Braised meats, gumbo, and soups were especially popular.

Best of luck to her and I hope you enjoy your holiday dinner together.