• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Christmas in Salzburg!

thanks to our darling daughter, who is studying abroad this year, the family is going to salzburg for christmas. pretty excited, as i've never experienced a white christmas, and the christmas markets have been a dream of mune for years! but where to eat? would like recs for christmas dinner, and for other dining as well. there will be six of us, and we'll be there a week. thanks in advance!

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

I was in Koln last year at Christmas...we had sausages in bread rolls after a Christmas Eve carol service for "Christmas dinner"!

Christmas markets...I am sure others can tell you more, but as the owner of hungry teenage boys, I can tell you that we went for sausages (overpriced maybe, but what else would one expect?) and waffles.

cmling--thanks. darling daughter says there's snow now, but no worries if it's not white fir christmas. (in fact, for this life-long southern californian, probably better if it isn't....brrr! i have no clothes for that!) will still be merry and bright, and hopefully there will be wonderful food!

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

First, plan to make at least a couple meals from food you pick up at the Christmas market. Not necessarily healthful meals, but filling anyway..

For other eating options: you must, must, must go to Demel. They are the #1 chocolatier in Austria and probably Europe, and have a branch in Salzburg. Have dessert or tea at the cafe. Speaking of Cafe's you can also eat at the cafe' Constanze Mozart was fond of. Finally, picking up some real Sacher Torte at the Salzburg branch of the Hotel Sacher.

You also need to take the opportunity to sample many of the excellent Eastern European wines which are available in Salzburg and don't make it to the USA. And, of course, beer and espresso.

Here's some bloggage from my last trip to Salzburg:

http://www.fuzzychef.org/archives/Steigl-Brauwert-Restaurant-11-2008.html

http://www.fuzzychef.org/archives/Gourmet-Salzburg-11-2008.html

http://www.fuzzychef.org/archives/Die-Plegerbruoke-A-Typical-Austrian-Pub-11-2008.html

The Fuzzy Chef

www.fuzzychef.org

Think globally, eat globally

San Francisco

thanks, fuzzychef! gonna go pour a glass of red wine and dig into your blog posts! cheers! (btw, what is the toasting word in german? skoal?)

www.chezcherie.com

Toasting word: "Prost" (pronunciation somewhat like "proast") or "Zum Wohl" ("tsoom vole"). And I can second the Demel recommendation if the Salzburg Demel is comparable to the Vienna Demel!

And I am sure Salzburg will be delightful with or without snow.

(Still working on restaurant recommendations; haven't been in Salzburg for a long time, trying to ask friends now.)

Edit: Here's a suggestion: http://www.travbuddy.com/esszimmer-v350174

A generally reliable friend of mine liked it very much. (Their webpage is German only, so I am sending this link.)

Edited by cmling (log)

Charles Milton Ling

Vienna, Austria

Hangar 7: on the airport as the name suggests. Owned by Siegfried Mateschitz, the man behind the Red Bull drink. Outstanding cuisine, some toys on display.

Hotel Sacher: beautiful setting, traditional cooking

Schlosswirt Anif: excellent austrian cuisine, set in the countryside but only 10-15 mins from Salzburg

Schloss Fuschl: 25 mins by car, spectacular. Good for lunch.

Cafe Tomaselli. not to be forgotten. in every tourist guide but still worth it.

Enjoy your stay.