• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Which teas do you think are in Typhoo's blend?

mbanu

What would you say is the "Typhoo" flavor that distinguishes it from other British teas? Any idea what sort of teas they generally blend to achieve it? The internet suggests that it's a mix of Kenyan, Ceylon, and Assam, although the actual Typhoo website seems to be a bit silent about it.

Given that the U.K. has been the biggest importer of Kenyan CTC tea for a while, I'd imagine that CTC Kenyan is the backbone, or at least a major component... On the other hand, Typhoo is owned by the Apeejay Surrendra Group, which has 50,000 acres of tea in Assam, so maybe Assam is the main sort. Thoughts?

I've noticed that steeping Typhoo has the most disconcerting aroma... an almost faintly spoiled funk, although this doesn't seem to get into the brewed tea. Has anyone else noticed this? Intentional, or one of the dangers of constantly adjusting the blend to take advantage of low tea auction prices?

I'm also curious if they use the same blend worldwide, or will you get a different Typhoo depending on if you buy it in the UK, the U.S., India, etc.? (I suppose I should email them about that...)

Also, would you consider Typhoo to be a fannings or a dust grade CTC tea? Those pellets are very small, and when you "uncurl" them the actual tea particles are even smaller...

Edited by mbanu (log)

Well, they must be doing something right... their sales in the UK are up 53.3% over 2009, although they are still stuck firmly in 4th place in the UK tea sales ranking, behind Tetley, PG Tips, and Twinings, according to Nielsen ratings. Simply advertising?

A fairly cryptic quote from the July 2010 issue of Independent Retail News from the Typhoo brand manager:

Its aim has been to combine brand activity with offering competitive prices, often price-marked on pack to deliver customer confidence. This has been done in conjunction with 'extra free' on-pack offers, allowing retailers to maintain standard or promotional RSPs and still deliver increased volume sales, driving up consumer basket spend in place of a pure price-reduction strategy, says brand manager Kate Willoughby.

"Driving up consumer basket spend in place of a pure price-reduction strategy"... so that means relying on volume sales to make up the difference in reduced price instead of using poorer-quality tea?

Edited by mbanu (log)