• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gulf of Maine Shrimp 2010 - 2011

johnnyd

Shrimp season started December 1st. The weather was crappy but a few boats made it in for the first retail day in Portland's Old Port.

I bought about 2lbs whole shrimp for $3.83. Headless shrimp sells for $4.99 and peeled shrimp sells for $5.99/lb at Harbor Fish Market.

Yesterday's article in Village Soup HERE

"They are sweet, little plump pieces of candy," said Jay Villani, chef owner of Local 188 and Sonny's restaurants in Portland.

Villani said if the weather holds, he expects the shrimp to start appearing on his menus by Sunday. They will continue to make regular appearances in empanadas, risottos and other dishes until the season closes, now scheduled for April 15.

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

• 1 month later...

Bangor Daily News - Maine Shrimp Season In Full Swing

Includes some good looking recipes.

Here are occasional real-time facebook reports from Captain Libby on the S/V Skipper.

He reports larger shrimp in this morning's haul:

Port Clyde Fresh Catch

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

Portland Food Map.com

Might need to swing by the market tonight and see what's what.

That curry dish in the Bangor Daily News seems a bit too much for the little buggers....

Depends how old the Maine shrimp is if you find them at your market. The boats are fishing heavily starting y'day so I wouldn't buy any until tonight and tomorrow

Portland Food Map.com

• 3 weeks later...

Local news outlet Village Soup features Port Clyde Fresh Catch who are co-ordinating shrimp fisherman to supply a healthy local market.

This article has a picture of a loaded drag net FULL of fresh shrimp. This year's harvest is particularly good.

Please report Gulf of Maine shrimp sightings in your local market here!

Portland Food Map.com

• 4 weeks later...

Those look absolutely delicious, johnnyd. From the photo, the shells appear thin and soft. Have you tried eating them without removing the shell? I would just remove the legs and any sharp points on the head or tail. I especially like the way that shrimp shells hold onto seasoning or sauce. Yum.

Also if you post any more photos (please do!) can you include a ruler or some other point of reference to show the size?

The bowl is 10" across. They are about 40 shrimp per pound at this point in the season.

I like to get them whole this close to the harvester, but I'd buy them peeled if your in a metropolitan area.

Portland Food Map.com

These little guys are excellent eaten raw, ama-ebi style. Just peel a bunch of them and eat them with a little vinegared rice, nori, shoyu, and wasabi.

For those who can't watch the video at work, here's what the AP says:

Officials with the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission have scheduled an emergency phone meeting Friday to consider shutting down the season — possibly next week — for the second year in a row because the harvest is fast approaching the 8.8-million pound target set by scientists last fall.

Full story here.

Port Clyde based harvesters distribute local shrimp to the following locations outside Maine:

Fiddleheads Natural Foods, CT

City Market Food Coop, VT

Healthy Living Market, VT

Putney Food Coop, VT

Wild Oats Coop, MA

River Valley Market, MA

Marlow and Daughter, NY

Park Slope Food Coop, NY

HURRY: Season ends Friday!!

Correction: Maine DMR says season ends February 23rd if stock assessment and fishing quota is as predicted.

Edited by johnnyd (log)

Portland Food Map.com