• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Foolishness: Why Make it When You can Buy it?

Define "convenience food" please

I agree with Gfweb...a bit more definition is in order, I think...

I'd be glad to share my opinions( as usual! ) but would like a bit more detail in the question...

• Like 1

I'm a lifelong professional chef. If that doesn't explain some of my mental and emotional quirks, maybe you should see a doctor, and have some of yours examined...

Convenience foods as in foods that are ready to eat foods that can be eaten straight from a packet. Or other examples include frozen TV dinners or canned soup that needs reheating. Hope that definition helps :) 

Also, I am referring to foods we buy and not make ourselves

Caviar.

I suppose that technically falls within the given definition... but I feel pretty confident that not even the most dedicated of caviar connoisseurs has a sturgeon tank in their backyard so they can make their own. :biggrin: 

• Like 3

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I still have a thing for many Campbell soups.  Don't use them in cooking, but like them for lunch every now and then, especially when feeling poorly.

Some frozen vegetables -- corn, peas, limas, okra.  And a few mixed vegetable medleys on hand. 

When we lived in the States, we had a lot of TJ prepared foods in the pantry and the freezer but haven't found a replacement so far in Canada. 

• Like 1

packaged peeled "baby" carrots. Yes, I know they are larger carrots trimmed down and treated (ironically...my husband's friend worked on the original equipment design and didn't file a patent, so he lost out on a payday). It ensures that a healthy snack is easily available for my lazy husband (he dips in hummous).

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

We moved to the US in September and I really miss some stuff from Picard http://www.picard.fr: loved their shelled fava beans and artichokes hearts. Here I get edemame that are hard to find in Europe. I also used to get their potatoes pure' (or chestnut) very convenient because they cut it in batonnes and it's just potatoes, I used in my croquettes all the times.

I buy canned sardines from Spain and sometimes pita bread or naan.

When fresh ones are out of season, I'll gladly use canned tomatoes. I've no problems with canned beans, either, if time is a factor. Aside from beans and tomatoes, I just won't use vegetables that have been "canned".

When dealing with frozen items, I like a lot of things that I probably shouldn't....Corn, Peas, Artichokes, some beans, like Limas.

Aside from that, though, I tend to not use too many "convenience" items.

• Like 1

I'm a lifelong professional chef. If that doesn't explain some of my mental and emotional quirks, maybe you should see a doctor, and have some of yours examined...

I have found that frozen corn is not what it used to be. Must be something to do with the recent drought. I'm having to used canned corn instead, and it is really quite good.

• Like 1

And there would never be puff pastry in mine, nor phyllo, without commercially available brands.  And who could live without having Spanakopita?

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.