• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mandoline that cuts on the round

tony h

Help. I am looking for a special type of mandoline – not the usual ones that slice veg in small discrete slices or the Japanese ones which create long spirals – but one which creates very long slices by turning a cylindrically shaped vegetable on its axis and shaving off long thin pieces to create sheets.

I can’t find using google as I don’t know its name.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Tony

That is fascinating to watch.

The procedure is similar to the much rougher technique I use on a center cut pork loin so I have a long flat slab of meat to stuff and roll. (also top round of beef)

However I cut away from me rather than toward my hand - my knife skills have a long way to go before I can do even a small chunk of vegetable that thin.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

^ That's your ticket right there.

Hah right when I read the first post I was going to bring up the serious knife skills of Japanese chefs. Just watch a iron Chef battle with Michiba or Morimoto and 8/10 they will sheet a vegetable like that.

Sleep, bike, cook, feed, repeat...

Chef Facebook HQ Menlo Park, CA

My eGullet Foodblog

du buyer mandolines have an attachment that allow you to slice vertically creating longer thin sheets rather than round ones

attachment

And the shun mandoline lets you slice either way, long or round.

Edited by Marlene (log)

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.