• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolates coming out dull and shiny?!

chocofoodie

I am having a problem where some of the chocolates come out of the mold shiny and beautiful, and others come out dull. I'm talking about the same mold. I don't know what's going on! Is it possible that this could be from putting it in the freezer? Because when I flip it over the first time, some will come out. Then I put it in the freezer for ten minutes and try again, some more come out. Then it goes back in the freezer and the rest come out. Is this process causing the change?

Probably part of it - is your chocolate in good temper? Usually the freezer isn't necessary unless you are having a lot of trouble unmolding - and that's often a temper issue.

Try fridge instead of freezer - 10 to 15 minutes.

You shouldn't rush it. Ideally, your working environment should be about 64-68F or so. You should let the molds harden at least 5-10 minutes out of the fridge first, then try putting them in the refrigerator (not the freezer) for 10 mins or so. If you are using clear molds, you should be able to see the chocolate releasing after removing from the fridge. But if you force it out by banging or twisting the mold gently, the parts that are not ready to release will be dull. Be patient, wait for the chocolate to release by itself and you will get shine all around.

Jeffrey Stern

www.jeffreygstern.com

http://bit.ly/cKwUL4

http://destination-ecuador.net

cocoapodman at gmail dot com

Ok... so I tried again, this time paying close attention to what I was doing. I opened the window slightly so the freezing cold air could keep the room cool. I kept to the manufacturers temperatures during tempering. I didn't touch the bottom of the wells. I left it to sit for 15 mins before I put it in the fridge for 15 mins before I turned them out. Voila! They were all the same, all shiny. I'm not sure what exactly was the problem before. It could have been all of the things mentioned. I don't know, I just hope that I can achieve this consistently.

Thanks everyone for your advice and help!