• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

thin silver cake "cards"

JeanneCake

Normally when you are presenting an individual dessert, you put it on a mono board that's a 4" circle that has a tab for easy handling. Lately there are some newer shapes and sizes out there but I need to find a 2.25 inch card to build miniature, personal bite-sized cakes on. I don't want the card or board to show much. I have 4" round silver mono boards and the client wants a uniform, clean edge just as if it were machine cut. So no matter how careful I am, if I were to trim these down they won't be perfectly uniform and the client has been very specific about not doing that.

So a shout-out to all of my cake-baker friends in the UK and Australia and New Zealand who use miniature cakes more often than we do: what kind of card are you using and where can I buy some?

The wedding is on New Years' Eve and the client and I just finalized all the details yesterday. So time is of the essence and if I find these available internationally, I need time for them to be shipped to the US....

• 5 weeks later...

I assume that by now you found a solution - but as a cardmaker if you have a lot of call for specialty mats, I'd suggest that you look into a diecutting machine called a Cricut and a software program called 'Make the Cut'. If you load up the software and connect the Cricut to a computer, you can cut any shape you like as long as it will fit into the machine, and you can duplicate it perfectly as many times as you need to.

They also sell a special Cricut 'cake' for cake decorating...