• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bellota Jamon Iberico Bones

So I was able to get my hands on the bones of two bellota jamon iberico legs. But being an at home chef, i dont have a stock pot that big. Will chopping it into pieces affect the stock because of the marrow? Any suggestions on using these bones? Thanks!

I did this very thing. I did chop the bones, and I'm not sure if it affected the flavor; my guess would be that it was minimal. But the stock was so rich it would've covered up anything.

Be sure to skim the fat that collects on top. It's very tasty but I find that you can't use it in large amounts because it has an odd astringent effect.

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

I also used the bones in the past but I found the flavoring really strong.

Now we are going to have new bones soon. I could ask my butcher to saw them for me. Any suggestions on how to use them? Blanch them before adding to stock (or beans)? Or?

Also, I'm freezing the fat, it's inconceivable for me to waste it. In my mind I know how I would use prosciutto fat but I'd like to know if there are traditional ways to use the fat in Spanish cooking.

Thanks