• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Making Hot Sauces – Recipes, Techniques, etc.

aliwaks

Well i have about 5 varities ready so far...

Do you happen to know the name of the round guy in the middle of the picture?

My brother has been growing these same peppers (we knicknamed them "cherry bombs") and he hasn't a clue as to what the variety is called. All he knows is they're hot enough to give him instant hiccups if he eats them raw. :laugh:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Cherry bombs.. She told me she has a hot purple ones comming up. She doesnt have a tag on them and doesnt remember..

She really hates peppers and primarily does it for me, but she can pretty much make anything grow. I am anxiously waiting on these white bullets, and this hot purple guy. Can someone tell me is this the hottest pepper in the world?

whats the rooster sauce recipe

Read the technique above. As for the sugar, just add to your taste. Sracha is sweet; mine is slightly less sugary but still sweeter than your average sauce. And it's thick like Sracha.

Hypotheticaly,

If someone were to use the restroom, like an hour after handeling one of these peppers. And say hypotheticly the person was to exeperience extreme discomfort afterwards. Is there something someone can use to help themselves in an office environment. :wub:

I think milk/dairy is supposed to help that sort of thing.

HAH! Yeah, that's it ... pour some half-and-half down your pants, or better yet, wrap your hypothetically injured organ in a slice of cheese. Or discreetly have your way with a pint of vanilla ice cream.

Suffer through it. I spent an afternoon cutting habaneros once for pickling, forgot to wash my hands, and went to the bathroom. It burned like hell, but not forever. These kinds of lessons are valuable in life.

Well i have about 5 varities ready so far...

Do you happen to know the name of the round guy in the middle of the picture?

My brother has been growing these same peppers (we knicknamed them "cherry bombs") and he hasn't a clue as to what the variety is called. All he knows is they're hot enough to give him instant hiccups if he eats them raw. :laugh:

That name might not be too far off the mark; I think they're called "cherry peppers".

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Thanks for the info.

It looks just the same as the little fire bombs my brother grows. It is the one pepper plant my brother doesn't yank and it keeps producing gloriously hot fruit year after year.

My sister-in-law (my brother's wife) can eat them and not blink an eye or shed a tear. She obviously has a much higher "heat" threshold than the rest of us chileheads.

Put us to shame is what she does... :laugh:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 4 weeks later...

Just got some white bullets in to my office. I am plannign on making some sauce tonight but am really tempted to take a bite out of one of these things now.. Can anyone tell me how hot these little suckers are compared to say an orange habenero? These things are way too cute to be hot.. :laugh: yeah right

http://forums.egullet.org/uploads/10968298..._1096909821.jpg

Edited by Daniel (log)

I am going to make my own hot sauce for the first time soon with the bounty from my parent's garden. I've got my recipe all figured out but I can't decide how much to make. How long will homemade hot sauce last?

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

I am going to make my own hot sauce for the first time soon with the bounty from my parent's garden.  I've got my recipe all figured out but I can't decide how much to make.  How long will homemade hot sauce last?

If its salt and vinegar heavy it should last indefinitely in the refrigerator.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I've had wonderful success with the pepper garden this year, and have already produced some beautiful salsa with Cayenne and an early Habanero or two.  However, the Habaneros are really hitting their stride and I won't be able to make enough salsa to contain that heat and still be edible.  so I was thinking a hot sauce would be the way to go.  I'm open to playing around with all kinds of bases, I just don't want these things to go to waste.  Any suggestions?

And, Oh, BTW, blenderless suggestions would be great, since that's what I am.

No use telling you the recipe for happy flavor sauce if you're blenderless. You know, a good blender isn't expensive...

But anyway, here's ZANAHORIAS MAGICAS for your habanero-using pleasure...

As many habaneros as you can handle in one day

As many limes as it takes to cover the habaneros with juice

Using the sharpest prep knife you have, halve each habanero. If you live north of, say, Interstate 10, remove the placentas and seeds. Otherwise, save yourself the trouble.

Chiffonade the halves. Get them as thin as possible.

Marinade them in lime juice for at least one hour. What you don't intend to use right away, pack in thick ziplocks and freeze as quickly as possible WITH THE LIME JUICE.

This is the purest apotheosis of habanero flavor you can possibly achieve. Use zanahorias magicas only to exponentially augment the flavors of strong and simple dishes. Cabrito is in, birria is out. Fried carp good, poached snapper bad. You get the picture.

Nam Pla moogle; Please no MacDougall! Always with the frugal...

gallery_15057_181_1096991401.jpg

Found a mini Bottle of CHambord in my place. Thought it makes it look a little more evil.

That is sweet. Happy Flavor sauce would be right at home up in there.

Nam Pla moogle; Please no MacDougall! Always with the frugal...

Navy cooks used to make chilli sherry as a condiment and seasoning. Take a bottle of sherry (Fino) and fill it full of chillis. Leave for a month. Great in soup, stews, tomato juice and the like.

On aircraft carriers it was called "Afterburner" for some reason...

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I've been buying a lot of chiles as of late, and I tend to buy them in bulk as they are much cheaper that way. I have been dealing with my excess chiles by making all different assorts of hot sauce and salsa. Mostly i've been using the techniques and principles covered in the eCGI course and have been having great fun with it.

Hot sauces made thus far include:

Roasted serrano with onion

Roasted serrano with onion and lime

Roasted, then fried cherry-bomb with garlic

green habanero with garlic

the eCGI chile de arbol hot sauce

things i'm planning on trying are:

ripe habanero with mango

green chile hot sauce (will include serrano, jalapeno, and poblano)

Does anyone else make their own hot sauce? Have any ingredients or techniques you enjoy using? Looking to expand the range of my sauces but am a bit stumped at the moment..

For years I have made a tomatillo sauce like this -- cook up some tomatillos (take off the paper outer skin) in a little water with some garlic, serrano or other hot peppers and onion until soft.

Blend until smooth -- cool. Then add cilantro chopped, vinegar and salt.

You will like this stuff. It will keep well in the frig for weeks.

Enjoy,

Jmahl

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

I also like hot sauces. A while back I spent some time on the internet trying to determine what the difference was in the many sauces you see in stores and read about in forums. My efforts turned into a short 7 page Word document. It has some recipes but they were not the focus, I just wanted to get a understanding of the difference in the sauces from around the world.

Some of the sauces I looked at for comparison were

Louisiana-Style, Caribbean Style, Mexican/Southwestern Style, Asian Style, Sriracha, Sambal Harissa Berbere (Ethiopian chile paste)Vindaloo, Red Curry Paste, Gochujang (Korean),Nam Prik and Chinese Chili Garlic sauce.

I will send you the file if you are interested.