• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Comfort Thai Food?

A very good Thai friend just had a baby yesterday, and I would really like to bring her the Thai equivalent of a casserole - something that would be simple and comforting for her, yet easy to reheat. I do not have very much experience cooking Thai food but I do have access to a decent (not incredible) Asian grocery store.

Any suggestions? Recipes would be most appreciated, but even names of dishes could get me started. Thanks in advance!

Johk (congee) is typical comfort food.

Kai pa-lo (braised pork and hard-boiled eggs) was also a sort of comfort food for my dad.

Both the above are easy to make, and you should be able to find the ingredients rather easily, especially since both are Thai versions of Chinese dishes and many Chinese ingredients are available in even the most ordinary of supermarkets.

Thanks Prasantrin. Definitely a good thought for the congee. I had noodles stuck in my head since I know she eats lots of noodles normally, but I don't think they would keep or reheat well once cooked. I really would like to prepare things that will take next-to-no effort to be ready to eat. Her mother-in-law will make her some French food but I know she would appreciate some Thai dishes too.

My mother said she was fed a lot of johk after I was born.

Kai pa-lo would be good because it's not spicy.

Something with vegetables would be good, too, like a simple gailan dish. You could also make her soup like tom kha gai (easy on the spice) or ground pork with wintermelon soup. I always eat the latter with rice, so it's sort of like johk, but not thick with rice.

• 3 months later...